GWT: EPL - Matchweek 37 (Ft. MW 34)

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Rumor has it that VAR didn't check whether KdB was offside leading to City's first goal yesterday. Here's the image:

View attachment 871338

I don't know if he is or isn't, although the below is relatively convincing, but this would be the second year Arsenal is screwed by VAR failing to check offside. Semi-automated cannot come soon enough.

this is what the kids call Cope

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
this is what the kids call Cope
Just to be clear, I fully expect Moyes to have the performance of a lifetime and Arsenal to nonetheless lose to Everton, I just think it would be especially frustrating for it not to have been checked when it is, at the very least, rather close.

And we never saw any lines on the broadcast.

Reactions: KJS14

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Just to be clear, I fully expect Moyes to have the performance of a lifetime and Arsenal to nonetheless lose to Everton, I just think it would be especially frustrating for it not to have been checked when it is, at the very least, rather close.

And we never saw any lines on the broadcast.
is anyone outside of this tweet saying it wasn't checked? i'm pretty sure they all get looked at

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
is anyone outside of this tweet saying it wasn't checked? i'm pretty sure they all get looked at
Looked at, but lines aren't always drawn. I know that because it happened to Arsenal last year. Here's an Arsenal ITK saying it, although I would note that he's been fairly accurate on Arsenal's machinations this year.

I'm not sure whether we'll ever get actual confirmation.

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Enjoyable United game for once. Decent performance, bad start to the second half though. Bruno and Amad both excellent. Glad Amad is finally getting a chance. Big save by Onana at 2-1. Amrabat good too.

Reactions: Jussi

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
One thing to note regarding the offside is that they use the first frame in which the attacker makes contact with the ball to judge offside whereas that picture appears to be using the last frame which can make a decent difference when the margins are that tight.

Reactions: bluesfan94

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
One thing to note regarding the offside is that they use the first frame in which the attacker makes contact with the ball to judge offside whereas that picture appears to be using the last frame which can make a decent difference when the margins are that tight.
Yeah, to me, it's less interesting whether or not he was onside, and more whether or not lines were drawn.

There are plenty of close calls that could have gone one way or another, but to not even have checked when it is clearly at least close and it's a goal that could potentially decide a title would be especially troublesome.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Yeah, to me, it's less interesting whether or not he was onside, and more whether or not lines were drawn.

There are plenty of close calls that could have gone one way or another, but to not even have checked when it is clearly at least close and it's a goal that could potentially decide a title would be especially troublesome.
My assumption is that they checked but it wasn’t as close as it looks in the screenshot.

I’ll wait until there’s separate confirmation that they didn’t check before I believe it.

There’s basically 3 options:

- no lines. Should only be when it’s very obviously on or off.
- one line. When it’s mildly close but drawing the line off the last defender makes it obvious
- two lines. When it’s close (like this one appeared)

Also worth noting the graphics sometimes only show one line when it’s close because if the two lines touch they only show one.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Caught up with the Chelsea game, big win and 2 excellent goals.

Absolute farce that Lamptey didn't get a red for the shot to Mudryk's head, made only worse by VAR deciding the kick by James was worth reviewing for violent conduct but not that. James is a moron for doing that though.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

He's apparently beyond furious. Wants a big clearout of players and staff. People at the club were 'joking' to him that he should lose the match.

He's infinity right. Besides, they still had a shot at CL, did they not?

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
If they beat City and then on the final matchday they beat Sheffield (very possible) and Villa lost to Palace (less likely, but Palace have been playing really well), they'd be in the CL
Also losing could have seen them out of Europe altogether. Not true anymore, but there was no way of knowing that at the time.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013

He's apparently beyond furious. Wants a big clearout of players and staff. People at the club were 'joking' to him that he should lose the match.
He's also not the first one to talk about the club's mentality like that. As polarizing as they are sometimes, Mourinho and Conte had some choice words in a similar vein.

Spurs fans here will try to deny it, but it doesn't get any more little brother than cheering for City's goal or chanting "Arsenal are you watching" while your team is losing and ending their hopes for CL.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

"The foundations are really fragile," the Australian said. "The last 48 hours have shown me that.

"It's inside the club, outside the club. Outside, inside, everywhere. It's been an interesting exercise. It's just my observations, mate."

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
how is this a flip flop

this is him explaining in more detail his comments the other day about the terrible vibes
He was completely right about everything that he said previous and should have sticked to his guns. He didn’t get anything wrong.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
He was completely right about everything that he said previous and should have sticked to his guns. He didn’t get anything wrong.

Of course he did. His mentality is win every match. Some Spurs fans (and fans of every team) have the mentality of losing would be ok if it hurts our rivals more. That's a weak mentality and not one he understands.

Reactions: Jack Straw and Peen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad