GWT: EPL - Matchweek 33

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Well. It's the big one. A game in Manchester to likely decide the title. Arsenal comes in in questionable form, while City hasn't dropped points in the league in a while. We also have a bunch of relegation six points in Wolverhampton, Leeds, and Southampton. And the race for 4th heats up with Tottenham likely needing to take full points when they host United.

HomeAwayTime and Date (CT)Venue
Wolverhampton WanderersCrystal PalaceTue., Apr. 25, 1:30 PMMolineux Stadium
Aston VillaFulhamTue., Apr. 25, 1:45 PMVilla Park
Leeds UnitedLeicester CityTue., Apr. 25, 2:00 PMElland Road
Nottingham ForestBrighton & Hove AlbionWed., Apr. 26, 1:30 PMCity Ground
ChelseaBrentfordWed., Apr. 26, 1:45 PMStamford Bridge
West Ham UnitedLiverpoolWed., Apr. 26, 1:45 PMLondon Stadium
Manchester CityArsenalWed., Apr. 26, 2:00 PMThe Etihad
SouthamptonBournemouthThu., Apr. 27, 1:45 PMSt. Mary's Stadium
EvertonNewcastle UnitedThu., Apr. 27, 1:45 PMGoodison Park
Tottenham HotspurManchester UnitedThu., Apr. 27, 2:15 PMTottenham Stadium

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I never had high hopes for this match, even before we started pissing our lead away. Now it's more the realm of fantasy. But in that fantasy world, it sure would restore my hope in this season

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I never had high hopes for this match, even before we started pissing our lead away. Now it's more the realm of fantasy. But in that fantasy world, it sure would restore my hope in this season
I'm going into Wednesday with too much hope tbh.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I'm going into Wednesday with too much hope tbh.

I mean in many ways it feels like our last hope, so understandable. I've had this day marked in the calendar for some time and tomorrow is my friend and fellow Arsenal fan's birthday, so I will being going into either very hungover or very Day Two

Reactions: robertmac43

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Annoyed my game is on the same time as the supposed title decider. Will catch the end. Thought LFC won the title in 13/14 under these circumstances and history could repeat itself with goal difference being the deciding factor either way

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Manchester CityArsenalWed., Apr. 26, 2:00 PMThe Etihad
nervous-sign-of-the-cross.gif

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
So Arsenal should have been 4th last year behind City, Liverpool and Chelsea.
With Liverpool and Chelsea falling in flames, they were expected to be 2nd.
They added Saliba, Jesus, Zinchenko, Trossard and Jorginho (and Fabio Vieira) to that team supposed to be 2nd.
Sure they had a great stretch and were at times favourite for the title given City's form (they have already lost more games than last year).

Have Arsenal performed better than leat year? They sure have (10 less defeats).
Is their expected ranking 2nd ? Yes.

If they win the title, it's a great achievement. If they don't, they finish exactly where they are supposed to finish.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
They added Saliba, Jesus, Zinchenko, Trossard and Jorginho (and Fabio Vieira) to that team supposed to be 2nd.
Sure they had a great stretch and were at times favourite for the title given City's form (they have already lost more games than last year).

If they win the title, it's a great achievement. If they don't, they finish exactly where they are supposed to finish.

Why were they expected to finish 2nd?

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
They were expected top 4 and two of the teams projected before them crashed hard. Thus making them 2nd if they didn't follow the Chelsea/Pool crashing course.
They weren’t expected to be top 4 though. They were expected to be in the mix for top 4. You can go back in the thread

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Arsenal were not favorites for top 2 preseason, but they have been since like October, so I guess it depends on how you want to interpret that

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

This can all be true but I find it odd that we wouldn't consider how the season itself went. Arsenal have been in the driver's seat all season. They blew this blowing two straight 2-0 leads and needed God and ET to not fall to last-place Southampton. I don't think they should be ridiculed or firings but I don't think it's valid to just go with pre-season expectations.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Arsenal were not favorites for top 2 preseason, but they have been since like October, so I guess it depends on how you want to interpret that
They were top 4 favourites since they should have finished 4th last year and added Zinchenko, Jesus and Saliba. That's more than Spurs.
But the two teams above them crashed hard. Meaning that if they play like they should they should finish 2nd.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
This can all be true but I find it odd that we wouldn't consider how the season itself went. Arsenal have been in the driver's seat all season. They blew this blowing two straight 2-0 leads and needed God and ET to not fall to last-place Southampton. I don't think they should be ridiculed or firings but I don't think it's valid to just go with pre-season expectations.
Sure, but in the context of Arteta's performance as manager and in terms of looking at overall happiness with the season, the fact that we have (1) drastically improved results; (2) outperformed expectations; and (3) played gorgeous football means that this season has been a success to me. I get that some people are unable to have that perspective, but Arteta and Arsenal have always talked about the rebuild process taking time - understandably so - and the purchases have been younger players, as are the stars. We're the second youngest team in the EPL and would be the youngest title winner. That we might not win in our first real title chase against a team that has been the best team in England, if not football, for the past decade and who just signed a record setting striker doesn't really bother me.

Is it disappointing? Sure. But it's not like anyone should be thinking of firing Arteta or anything along those lines. I mean, using that same logic (and I know this wasn't you saying this, I'm responding expansively), if City doesn't win the league, should Pep be fired? What if they don't win CL, too?

They were top 4 favourites since they should have finished 4th last year and added Zinchenko, Jesus and Saliba. That's more than Spurs.
But the two teams above them crashed hard. Meaning that if they play like they should they should finish 2nd.
Except they didn't finish 4th last year and that's not how anything works.

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
Trying my best to not think about the game and its implications. It's not going well.

I’m just trying to tell myself that i rather have games like this when everything is on stake than playing for 8th. It’s a spectacular game and i probably won’t be able to enjoy it as much as i would like to. Will try though.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I’m just trying to tell myself that i rather have games like this when everything is on stake than playing for 8th. It’s a spectacular game and i probably won’t be able to enjoy it as much as i would like to. Will try though.
Oh 100%. I love having games like this. Just not when I need to work for the next four hours.

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
Oh 100%. I love having games like this. Just not when I need to work for the next four hours.

Feel ya. Should’ve done like robertmac and take the day off ;) Very happy i was early on this so they were able to granted me vacay. Hope at least you’re busy so that you don’t have to think too much about what’s coming up.

Let’s go!

Reactions: robertmac43

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad