GWT: EPL - Matchweek 31

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
No rest for the weary (although for the schedule complainers out there, Liverpool gets a longer rest than Arsenal or City...), we have midweek fixtures. We have a London derby, City hosting a top 4 side, and a battle of the banter clubs on Thursday.

HomeAwayTime and Date (CT)Venue
Newcastle UnitedEvertonTue., Apr. 2, 1:30 PMSt. James's Park
Nottingham ForestFulhamTue., Apr. 2, 1:30 PMCity Ground
BurnleyWolverhampton WanderersTue., Apr. 2, 1:45 PMTurf Moor
BournemouthCrystal PalaceTue., Apr. 2, 1:45 PMVitality Stadium
West Ham UnitedTottenham HotspurTue., Apr. 2, 2:15 PMLondon Stadium
BrentfordBrighton & Hove AlbionWed., Apr. 3, 1:30 PMGtech Community Stadium
Arsenal Luton TownWed., Apr. 3, 1:30 PMThe Emirates
Manchester CityAston VillaWed., Apr. 3, 2:15 PMThe Etihad
LiverpoolSheffield UnitedThu., Apr. 4, 1:30 PMAnfield
ChelseaManchester UnitedThu., Apr. 4, 2:15 PMStamford Bridge

Reactions: maclean

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
Liverpool and United will also have about the same resting ahead of sundays game but a certain someone will find a way to complain about that too.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
In the battle for 4th, Spurs and Villa both have tough tasks, while the top 3 should all gather the 3 points.

If Burnley can get a win today, I think they will end up escaping relegation if both Nottingham and Luton lose.

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019

Who’d have thunk it. Taylor gets another big game within a week after refusing to give yellows for clear fouls in city v arsenal

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Oh wow, I had literally no idea we had midweek prem games this week....

Time to move some meetings around.

Reactions: maclean

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Who’d have thunk it. Taylor gets another big game within a week after refusing to give yellows for clear fouls in city v arsenal
I’m just glad that it was already established in the last thread that Taylor sucks, is from Manchester, and should be no where near this game; (which more or less everyone agreed with) so I won’t have to repeat it this time around.

This is basically like Howard Webb calling in an air strike once he saw LFC back on top. Especially after the game on Sunday, there’s no one else they could have appointed to aide Utd going for 0-0 here; which I’d be shocked if they didn’t. Might get a fast start like in the FA Cup game but I’d be shocked if they didn’t park it like in the Anfield fixture. Draw obviously does nothing for LFC

Anyway, have to worry about Sheffield first, but glad my opinions on Taylor aren’t outlandish or conspiracy or any of those other words that tend to get thrown around frivolously

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
"Taylor is inconsistent and has main character syndrome" is a fine and normal take

"Webb is trying to put his finger on the title race by appointing a referee he knows will align with United's supposed game plan" is, by definition, a conspiracy theory.
That’s fair, but I also look at Webb’s background and you’ll never get me to say Webb isn’t biased against LFC.

But again everyone knows Taylor shouldn’t be near the game, and yet who appointed Taylor? Why doesn’t Webb se any of this as an issue

And if we are assuming, based on evidence, Utd is happy with 0-0, and the referee is happy to let everything go, how does that not align? Obviously I could be wrong but we just saw this two days ago

Last edited:

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Look at United's record with Taylor refereeing. If anything he overcompensates for the United fan rumours.

Reactions: Jussi

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Taylor should not be in charge of the United/Liverpool game because it is advantageous to what United are going to try to do when they park the bus and try to clog up the game.

But also Taylor should not be in charge of the United/Liverpool game because historically he hasn't been very fair to United.

Both of these things were said by the same poster within 6 posts of each other.

I love this forum.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Taylor should not be in charge of the United/Liverpool game because it is advantageous to what United are going to try to do when they park the bus and try to clog up the game.

But also Taylor should not be in charge of the United/Liverpool game because historically he hasn't been very fair to United.

Both of these things were said by the same poster within 6 posts of each other.

I love this forum.
Hold on a second.

I didn’t say Taylor should not be appointed because if he officiates like he did on Sunday it’s probable beneficial to Utd’s probably game plan. I’m just saying Utd are probably happier about him being there than LFC is, which is fine. I do not have a problem with that.

Yes I have a problem with a referee from Manchester officiating an important game involving City or United. I think it’s doesn’t do any favors for Taylor himself. I also think he isn’t good enough a ref to justify superseding that. Taylor is in a damned if he does/damned if he doesn’t spot; so again why create a possible issue?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Hold on a second.

I didn’t say Taylor should not be appointed because if he officiates like he did on Sunday it’s probable beneficial to Utd’s probably game plan. I’m just saying Utd are probably happier about him being there than LFC is, which is fine. I do not have a problem with that.

Yes I have a problem with a referee from Manchester officiating an important game involving City or United. I think it’s doesn’t do any favors for Taylor himself. I also think he isn’t good enough a ref to justify superseding that. Taylor is in a damned if he does/damned if he doesn’t spot; so again why create a possible issue?

I think the big thing missing here is that Taylor isn't in a damned if he does/damned if he doesn't and the EPL isn't going to cater to dumb conspiracy theories.

Reactions: bluesfan94

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I think the big thing missing here is that Taylor isn't in a damned if he does/damned if he doesn't and the EPL isn't going to cater to dumb conspiracy theories.
He is in that situation but only in the eyes of one poster on HFBoards and I'm not 100% convinced the EPL should cater to said poster's whims.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
He is in that situation but only in the eyes of one poster on HFBoards and I'm not 100% convinced the EPL should cater to said poster's whims.
It's also hard to play the geographic game when half the teams in the league are from two cities. You'd end up with a giant chunk of referees unable to take charge of most games.

A referee from London couldn't take charge of games involving Arsenal, Brentford, Chelsea, Palace, Fulham, Spurs or West Ham. But since Arsenal is in a title race with Liverpool and City then obviously he couldn't be in charge of those either. And Arsenal and United have been rivals for a long time so he couldn't be in charge of those games either.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
It's also hard to play the geographic game when half the teams in the league are from two cities. You'd end up with a giant chunk of referees unable to take charge of most games.

A referee from London couldn't take charge of games involving Arsenal, Brentford, Chelsea, Palace, Fulham, Spurs or West Ham. But since Arsenal is in a title race with Liverpool and City then obviously he couldn't be in charge of those either. And Arsenal and United have been rivals for a long time so he couldn't be in charge of those games either.
And Luton is pretty close, too. Also, don't forget that Palace is rivals with Brighton. Plus, Aston Villa is part of a race for fourth with Spurs. Can't do that. And given that Luton (and Brentford) is in a relegation scrap with Sheffield, Nottingham Forest, Burnley, and Everton, that leaves Wolves, Newcastle, and Bournemouth.

Reactions: hatterson

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Isak is going to go for a fortune
I think it is in everyone's best interests for him to stay at Newcastle. I don't think Newcastle will be able to easily replace/upgrade him, I think that he's really comfortable/successful in their system and might not be as solid in other systems, and I think other teams may end up overpaying for him given his injury history.

Reactions: maclean and luiginb

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Isak is going to go for a fortune
Nah, way too inconsistent. Some games he'll look like Marcus Thuram and others Lacazette (current day). I don't even think he's a top 3 player on his team (Trippier, Bruno G, Gordon, maybe Tonali if we ever get to see him). I think Newcastle is his level.

Spurs trembling every time West Ham has a corner, van de Ven is a better defenseman, but they miss Dragusin in the air tonight. And Werner has been playing more as a left back than Udogie has, he's all over the pitch haha

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad