GWT: EPL - Matchweek 27

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I am not disagreeing with you in the slightest, but it's not like other clubs are coming in and blowing them away, there is something special in Arsenal since the Dubai trip. I get it that we're talking about Arsenal here, but I do want to mention that Liverpool isn't finishing the season with only 2 losses. You lot have had a lot of fortunate late-ending game goals that simply cannot be repeatable for the entire season.
Yeah I mean LFC are ahead of schedule and being held together with duct tape so I am just enjoying the ride. I have no idea how they are where they are. I think as long as they keep winning they can keeping riding the wave but I think once they lose more could follow. But with City coming up we will see what happens.

I think LFC are lucky that a lot of the tougher games on their schedule are at home where Arsenal’s tougher games are on the road. LFC best route is if they beat City, and Arsenal and City draw at the Ettihad…I think. If City are going to drop points it’s going to be soon. Weirdly it’s probably best for Arsenal to stay in this too as long as they can; but Arsenal is just waiting for LFC’s squad availability problems to catch up and for Man City to get tired. They’ve positioned themselves to do so, but they also do not control their own destiny yet either, and I know what it’s like waiting for City to blink. It’s not ideal; but Arsenal and City are about where they should be. LFC, not so much, they have much more riding on this season but have much bigger problems and aren’t supposed to be there.

One man's "fortunate" is another's urgency and clutch, I wouldn't sell them short. At any rate, next weekend will provide us with a lot better picture of where things stand.
For sure. They have that in spades and that definitely helps, but how many times can you keep going to that well is the question. It’s still only March too

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Are they? I think I would put Villa in there over them if you put a gun to my head. I don't think either side is amazing.
They are fine, but the Tottenham urge to try to put themselves into everything is ever present. I think Villa was outright the fourth best team until the Kamara injury; but don’t think it’s really super relevant who the fourth best team is anymore. Especially with three teams competing for first and the PL likely getting and additional UCL spot do to coefficient anyway. 4th/5th same thing at this point; not that 2nd and 3rd aren’t either but at least that’s still title relevant for now.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I guess if you argue that the best player on either team is likely on Spurs, you could make the argument that way.

I just don't really know that either side is good.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I find it hilarious that the current discussion is between Arsenal and Liverpool while the clear cut team to beat and way more likely to win the title is by far Manchester City. Basically they win their next 2 games and you could almost hand them already the title. They are machine, they can win 15 or 16 games in a row. If Arsenal manage to beat city, they would deserve the title but it is way harder to achieve than you would believe at this time of the year.

LFC winning the league is near impossible with the current state of the team. Although I expect the players will give out a decent fight for Klopp.

Reactions: robertmac43

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
1. The team with the most goals conceded last year was Leeds with 78. Sheffield United have conceded 72 after 27 matchweeks.
2. The team with the worst goal difference last year was Southampton, with -37. Sheffield United are currently at -50.
3. Sheffield United's goal difference is -50. The highest goal difference (Arsenal) in the league is currently +45. If they finish the season with a goal difference worse than the opposite extreme, it will be only the fourth time in the 38-game era that this has occurred (2002-03, 2007-08, and 2015-16).
4. Sheffield have conceded 72 goals, which is 4 more than the league's highest scorers (Arsenal) have scored. If they finish the season having conceded more than the best offense has scored, this would be only the fifth time in the 38-game era that this has occurred (1997-98, 2003-04, 2007-08, and 2015-16).
5. Sheffield United's current goal difference of -50, if the season ended today, would be the fourth worst since the 38-game era behind 2007-08 Derby (-69), 2021-22 Norwich (-61), and 2018-19 Huddersfield (-54).
6. Sheffield United have already conceded enough goals to have been the league's worst defense in 10 out of 28 seasons in the 38-game era.

Reactions: bluesfan94

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
City have, and always will be the prohibitive favorites. Until they actually choke one (or GASP actually seeing some punishment for obvious financial malfeasance), that should continue to be the case.

the irony of Sheffield is they'll likely bounce right back up.

I find it hilarious that the current discussion is between Arsenal and Liverpool while the clear cut team to beat and way more likely to win the title is by far Manchester City. Basically they win their next 2 games and you could almost hand them already the title. They are machine, they can win 15 or 16 games in a row. If Arsenal manage to beat city, they would deserve the title but it is way harder to achieve than you would believe at this time of the year.

LFC winning the league is near impossible with the current state of the team. Although I expect the players will give out a decent fight for Klopp.
It's not impossible. It's improbable.

It's going to be interesting how Liverpool play out the season with everything at hand. Getting players back healthy, along with a lot of luck, could see them win a couple more trophies. But I wouldn't really bet on it.

Reactions: maclean

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I find it hilarious that the cuerrenr discussion is between Arsenal and Liverpool while the clear cut team to beat and way more likely to win the title is by far Manchester City. Basically they win their next 2 games and you could almost hand them already the title. They are machine, they can win 15/16 games in a row.

Absolutely nobody is arguing that the team to beat is anyone but City. We all know that, we've all said it a million times, at this point there's not much sense in tagging it on to every post as a disclaimer.

That said, both City and Liverpool control their own fates as of right now. After this weekend, that will have changed in some way.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

I think Man City kind of just speaks for itself by default. Nothing really to say there. If they win at Anfield, Arsenal will be the only team that can stop them, and it won’t matter unless they get too tired. City are just going to do what City do

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I think Man City kind of just speaks for itself by default. Nothing really to say there. If they win at Anfield, Arsenal will be the only team that can stop them, and it won’t matter unless they get too tired. City are just going to do what City do
If city wins against Liverpool, arsenal is controlling its own destiny too. So there’s still hope.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If city wins against Liverpool, arsenal is controlling its own destiny too. So there’s still hope.
This is true. Arsenal are more or less where they are supposed to be. Chasing City when they are in front is very bad for your health. I recommend not watching their games and taking whatever antacids and whatever Rx that you can find

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
This is true. Arsenal are more or less where they are supposed to be. Chasing City when they are in front is very bad for your health. I recommend not watching their games and taking whatever antacids and whatever Rx that you can find

I find chasing them when they are in front much more relaxing than trying to stay in front of them when they're chasing you. When they're after you, they're like the Terminator. When you're chasing them, all you can do is your best, and I feel like you can tell it suits the team better too. With three teams in the mix like this, none of us can afford to lose a step. I in no way expect to win the league this year, as we are still building, City are City, and Liverpool have manifest destiny. If we did, of course it would be a dream, still a very long shot though and it will be up until the very final week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad