GWT: EPL - Matchweek 25

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Sure, but you sack him without giving him time despite a whole new squad, pay him out his £60m, and you give excuses to all of these players that have looked like trash under 2 managers now. I don't think any manager fixes this problem unless the club is willing to just drop some of these guys from the squad until the summer.
The new faces all look worse, that’s not an issue with tuchel.

Reactions: JeffreyLFC

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The new faces all look worse, that’s not an issue with tuchel.
Disagree that they look worse. The new faces have looked out of sync, and you need to play them to fix that. We're never going to improve when we keep rolling out cooked players that were garbage under Tuchel and Potter just because the new players look disjointed.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
What do we think, does Potter get sacked? I hope Chelsea does ship him and West Ham takes a run at him if they stay in the division.
They might sack him just because the record has been so bad. Either he's the problem and the coaching staff and ownership are not on the same page, which is a huge issue. Or he's not the problem and he's being pressured to start these underperforming veterans, which is a huge issue.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Conte please keep resting and let Stellini cook.

Skipp is filling in extremely well for Bentancur. Sarr and Bissouma are no slouches either.

Emerson has really turned it around. Maybe he just needed competition?

Richarlison is still unconvincing. Danjuma should get more of a chance.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
They might sack him just because the record has been so bad. Either he's the problem and the coaching staff and ownership are not on the same page, which is a huge issue. Or he's not the problem and he's being pressured to start these underperforming veterans, which is a huge issue.
Would seem insane to make all these signings and then push underperforming vets on him. My money would be that being on Potter himself.

Sort of feel bad for him. Had a great thing at Brighton, and now he’s in this giant fishbowl at Chelsea.

Reactions: Peen

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Would seem insane to make all these signings and then push underperforming vets on him. My money would be that being on Potter himself.

Sort of feel bad for him. Had a great thing at Brighton, and now he’s in this giant fishbowl at Chelsea.
If that isn't it the issue is that coaching and ownership are clearly not on the same page as to what the plan should be, which raises the question of why they committed to Potter and brought along half his staff, and hired directors that are supposedly pro-Potter?

King Makar19

Dec 5, 2019
Firing Potter will cost $$$$ did they bring 50 Brighton guys with him.

They spent a shitload on ??? Playerd...

Lmao Enzo at 120 was ridiculous

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
If that isn't it the issue is that coaching and ownership are clearly not on the same page as to what the plan should be, which raises the question of why they committed to Potter and brought along half his staff, and hired directors that are supposedly pro-Potter?
No doubt it speaks to higher level executive dysfunction. In general, I just get the sense that Boehly is the type of guy to listen to whoever got in his ear last. It’s easy to throw money around on shiny objects, but I don’t think he actually has much of a plan beyond the PR dopamine hit he gets every time pundits or supporters fawn over the latest move, be it Potter, his staff, or a nine-figure signing.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I was very much in the camp that Potter shouldn’t be fired, but it seems increasingly like that might be the only option because ownership doesn’t seem willing to do whats necessary to keep him effective in charge of the team.

By that I mean you basically have 2 options.

1.) let the players “win” and sack the manager. Hole a new manager gets a good bounce out of them and then rely on the summer to ship out enough dead weight to turn the mentality around.

2.) Publicly and emphatically back the manager. Tell the supporters (and players) that direction from the ownership is that if players are unwilling to compete and buy in they can train with the U21s until they shape up or are sold. Be clear that results don’t matter for the rest of the season it’s all about effort and buying into the team, even if that means playing a bunch of 17 year olds.

So far it seems like either Potter isn’t on board with option 2 or ownership isn’t so it’s basically gonna continue being a train wreck until either that attitude happens or they go with option 1.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
@maclean thoughts on the match today?

I... went and took a nap after about 20 minutes. Been a long weekend. Just caught up on the highlights and, well, I don't envy you guys but I still think you write this year off and let him cook. I do understand the concern though

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't envy the referee in this game, that was a tough match and I would have personally given Emerson and Ziyech a red card. Can we seriously just relegate both of these teams? It was like watching the thug derby, with so many dislikeable players on both squads like Kane, Romero, Son, Mount, Richarlison, Dier, Tanganga, and Emerson.

Grahame has lost the plot, in what way was Loftus-Cheek relevant today? How can you start a garbage player like Felix instead of Auba? How can you leave Badiashile on the bench and play Koul? Did Endo even play? He's feeling the desperation to the point he's turning into Pep 2.0. Chelsea is done though, Silva was probably their best player this season after Reece James and coming off injured isn't a good sign.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The crazy thing there to me is Fofana. Do his teammates not want to give him the ball?
Not sure. He's just getting back into full fitness and he came on cold today, so I thought he was ok considering, but just nothing happened on the right side. Considering James has been one of our best players the last few years, leaving him isolated like this is a disaster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad