GWT: EPL - Matchweek 25

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Gakpo doing more work here than the entire rest of the team combined. That wasn't a foul but I'm impressed by his effort.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Keita looked so much worse. I just dont want to pick on trent but at some point Klopp has to do damage control. He shouldn't be considered untouchable .
I am probably the only LFC fan who would not mind selling Trent. That being said I still believe he would a phenomenal wing back with a team playing 3 CB.
His passing range/vision is elite but the rest is awful. No awareness defensively, little compete defensively, poor positioning, etc. He is a complete liability on a team in their defensive half. He just become alive when they are in the offensive half.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Trent's biggest problem today is Matip handling the ball like a grenade. So it's hard to be comfortable passing it backwards.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
That was a very nothing game.

The hardest part about this is that it’s basically March and commentators are still pretending that each Liverpool performance like this is shocking.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

The hardest part about this is that it’s basically March and commentators are still pretending that each Liverpool performance like this is shocking.
Yeah I don't get the wonderment.

I don't know how you can look at the midfield we put out today in a Premier League ass game in the year of our lord 2023 and question the results or where the problem lies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

This is what’s driving me crazy too. So much feigning surprise. They has been what LFC have looked like all season . They are abject, they are apathetic. They need a heart transplant. There’s nothing to say. Beating LFC this year isn’t a scalp. They suck

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
To be fair, Liverpool is coming off a season where they went for a quad, finished one point off the EPL and would have won the CL but for Courtois. Not much has changed since then so I can see why people were surprised. Ah but it’s been half a season. Sure. But Liverpool has been having decent form in the EPL recently and people here were talking about a top 4 push last MW. If you’re talking like that when they win, people are gonna be surprised when they lose/draw.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
What happened is that the team all got old at the same time and nobody accounted for that. They could still finish top four though because you can't trust any team below third to get enough points.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Where does Klopp fall on the reasons for Liverpool's regression? He runs a heavy regiment and not a lot of rotation. With all the games they play, it's no wonder a bunch of these guys look burnt out. I get that midfield signings in particular might alleviate some of that, but ultimately Klopp could have rotated a lot more than he did and perhaps avoided some of the fatigue.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Where does Klopp fall on the reasons for Liverpool's regression? He runs a heavy regiment and not a lot of rotation. With all the games they play, it's no wonder a bunch of these guys look burnt out. I get that midfield signings in particular might alleviate some of that, but ultimately Klopp could have rotated a lot more than he did and perhaps avoided some of the fatigue.
Too many of the midfielders keep getting hurt so it's hard to rotate through them. We have eight or nine midfielders on the books and have been lucky to have four fit at a time prior to bringing Bajcetic into the team. I think maybe another overlooked problem is that the club got content to keep players who can only play 20 games a season when they should have moved them on.

I think playing so many games last season is a really big culprit here. Diaz being hurt for so long is also probably a large factor in results. We've only scored 13 goals away from home. While things could go well the rest of the season I'm absolutely dreading this shit. There's a ton of matches left.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Too many of the midfielders keep getting hurt so it's hard to rotate through them. We have eight or nine midfielders on the books and have been lucky to have four fit at a time prior to bringing Bajcetic into the team. I think maybe another overlooked problem is that the club got content to keep players who can only play 20 games a season when they should have moved them on.

I think playing so many games last season is a really big culprit here. Diaz being hurt for so long is also probably a large factor in results. We've only scored 13 goals away from home. While things could go well the rest of the season I'm absolutely dreading this shit. There's a ton of matches left.
As bad as other fans like to mock Nunez. He is the only pkayer threatening and creating chances every game. Salah too but he is not as impactful as in the past.

I think a healthy team with Salah, Nunez and Diaz would be a handful for other teams to defend.

As for the midfield. Seriously it is the biggest joke in modern time football history. How can you seriously believe a core based on injury prone anf aging midfield is sufficient never mind a bunch load of them. There are NONE midfielder in that team that should be a starter in an EPL top side. I also include Bajcetic who has been the sole bright spot but he it is also apparent he is too raw.

Reactions: gary69

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
What happened is that the team all got old at the same time and nobody accounted for that. They could still finish top four though because you can't trust any team below third to get enough points.
yeah, I know what happened, but to feign shock and anger at people being surprised Liverpool fell off a cliff on the one hand while on the other talking about how they’re still a top 4 team is kinda goofy to me.

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
I personally do think Klopp's system does have a bit of a cause here. Like was said, they played an absurd amount of football last year, and while I do think Klopp has adjusted a bit, it is still a very demanding system. I mean, Liverpool fans generally recognized that Klopp ran Gini into the ground, and he was pretty much done as a footballer at 29.

I have nothing but respect for Klopp, but while he has obviously been wildly successful, and I don't think any Liverpool fan would want it different but he does tend to run players into the ground.

I also think that Liverpool were lucky they purchased a front 3 of Firmino, Mane and Salah for what, less than 100M Pounds? That front 3 not only were a World Class unit together, but they also rarely missed any time (until Firmino last year). That is going to be hard to replicate. I think Nunez, Jota, Gakpo and Diaz are all quite good (especially Nunez), but it is hard to see them being as good as the previous front 3, and even harder to see them as healthy.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Klopp and Dutch Pep are a much bigger part of it than people will care to admit. Yes a lot has gone wrong, but the tactics have been overwhelmingly been dog shit all season. Klopp rotated today, and we saw how that turned out.

yeah, I know what happened, but to feign shock and anger at people being surprised Liverpool fell off a cliff on the one hand while on the other talking about how they’re still a top 4 team is kinda goofy to me.
I mean the only reason that LFC have a shot at top 4 is because all the teams 4-10 are bad/underwhelming/were overachieving but shit their loads. LFC has a chance at top 4 but it’s not a good one. Everyone else being bad is keeping their top four run on life support. Nothing else.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad