GWT: EPL - Matchweek 24

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Villa's flopping aside, it was enjoyable half so far. That Ramsey kid needs some work in the final third, but he's exciting to watch

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
Jones has given 1 correct yellow (Manioo). From the angles I've seen, Cash dove and got Casimero a yellow (but then how is that reaction not another yellow?). Rashford dove for the free kick that led to a corner (which there was an offside player interfering with play in). Varane cynically stops a counterattack and no yellow plus the ball gets kicked out after the foul called and no yellow. Where is the consistency from referees???

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I don’t hate Ben White. His eyebrows and tan just give me the willies.

I wouldn't put him in England's starting 11.
I wouldn't start him at RB for England, but I think he's a better CB than Maguire even if he hasn't played there for Arsenal in some time.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
There are ten million reasons why Southgate blows, but you’d have a hard time arguing that integrating youth is one of them
One of the strangest criticisms possible, off the top of my head Rashford, Rice and Saka have all been appearing on the senior squad since they were 19-20. I’m sure there’s probably more those are just the ones I really remember

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Tonnes of opportunities for Villa, but either Utd have done just enough or they've just kind of choked the last step. Can't really say they've earned a goal yet, though hard to say Utd deserves to be winning either. that's football

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I wouldn't start him at RB for England, but I think he's a better CB than Maguire even if he hasn't played there for Arsenal in some time.
But there are quite a few CBs better than both Maguire and White who should be in the starting XI.

It also has to be said, because this constantly gets ignored, that club form isn’t everything - Maguire has been uniformly excellent for England.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
One of the strangest criticisms possible, off the top of my head Rashford, Rice and Saka have all been appearing on the senior squad since they were 19-20. I’m sure there’s probably more those are just the ones I really remember
Age wasn't my point. Favoritism was.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
But there are quite a few CBs better than both Maguire and White who should be in the starting XI.
I'm biased, but I don't think Guehi, Dunk, Colwill, or Tomori are clearly better than White. I'd probably choose one of those guys since they actually play CB for their clubs, but I think White is just as good.

Edit: Stones is the obvious starter along with one of those guys if that wasn't clear.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I'm biased, but I don't think Guehi, Dunk, Colwill, or Tomori are clearly better than White. I'd probably choose one of those guys since they actually play CB for their clubs, but I think White is just as good.

Edit: Stones is the obvious starter along with one of those guys if that wasn't clear.
Not that I care too much about the England team, but I have a feeling that Southgates team is going to be vastly different from the teams that the public would probably pick. Especially in the midfield, just feel like the youth is so much better than the ‘old reliable’ vets

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Fubo Canada is really trying to get me to vote conservative. Pierre Poilievre commercial on loop.

Na na na na na na na Leader!

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Not that I care too much about the England team, but I have a feeling that Southgates team is going to be vastly different from the teams that the public would probably pick. Especially in the midfield, just feel like the youth is so much better than the ‘old reliable’ vets
What makes all the discourse strange is that it actually likely won’t be that different. RCM and RCB are, instinctively to me, the only positions where “favourites” will play over who should be there (assuming Hendo and Maguire are in those spots). Assuming he keeps playing the 4-3-3, it’ll likely look like this:

Foden - Kane - Saka
Bellingham
Rice - Henderson
Shaw - Stones - Maguire - Walker
Pickford

And it honestly wouldn’t shock me at all if he played Trent over Henderson.

The issue is the tactics. His selection has generally been fine.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
What makes all the discourse strange is that it actually likely won’t be that different. RCM and RCB are, instinctively to me, the only positions where “favourites” will play over who should be there (assuming Hendo and Maguire are in those spots). Assuming he keeps playing the 4-3-3, it’ll likely look like this:

Foden - Kane - Saka
Bellingham
Rice - Henderson
Pickford

Really hope Henderson isn’t in the starting lineup at the Euros. There definitely are better CBs than Maguire, he’s an incredibly frustrating player but he has also largely been perfectly fine for England

It absolutely is the tactics and wild decisions like just letting Italy control the midfield and thinking playing for penalties is a good idea for England that are the biggest problem

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Foden - Kane - Saka
Bellingham
Rice - Henderson
Pickford

I think it would be insane to take guys like Henderson or Phillips. Alphabetically, guys like Elliott, Jones, Mainoo , etc should be in there over those guys. (Not saying Gallagher and Maddison because I guess they are technically already in the squad). Plenty of better options on defense. Brantwaithe, (if he has recovered from Haaland putting him on a poster), Colwill, Gomez, Quansah all should be on there. The youth team is starting to converge on the main team, Needs to transition smartly.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
No he was reacting to the yellow he received for the foul

Casemiro immediately turned to the ref and motioned for a card, which I assumed meant he was calling for a yellow to be given for diving. It has been said that calling for a card will be punished, so it's conceivable that it was for that, I don't know

Reactions: bluesfan94

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad