GWT: EPL - Matchweek 2

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Showing the replay of that offside goal makes it even worse. The studio trying to defend it as "just a deflection" is stupid. In current rules, any deliberate play resets offside, not direct physical control of the ball.

If the pass, attempt to gain possession or clearance by the player in control of the ball is inaccurate or unsuccessful, this does not negate the fact that the player ‘deliberately played’ the ball.

The following criteria should be used, as appropriate, as indicators that a player was in control of the ball and, as a result, can be considered to have ‘deliberately played’ the ball:

• The ball travelled from distance and the player had a clear view of it
  • The ball was not moving quickly
  • The direction of the ball was not unexpected
  • The player had time to coordinate their body movement, i.e. it was not a case of instinctive stretching or jumping, or a movement that achieved limited contact/control
  • A ball moving on the ground is easier to play than a ball in the air

Reactions: Blender

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Showing the replay of that offside goal makes it even worse. The studio trying to defend it as "just a deflection" is stupid. In current rules, any deliberate play resets offside, not direct physical control of the ball.
that might be the rule, but you could argue he would not have made that touch if he knew he was offside.

There’s a bit of hard and fast that can’t be applied in this one.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
that might be the rule, but you could argue he would not have made that touch if he knew he was offside.

There’s a bit of hard and fast that can’t be applied in this one.
You can absolutely argue that, and that's why from a "fairness" standpoint, I don't like those types of goals to be given, but based on the way the rules are written and have consistently been applied, it's a very clear good goal and VAR should have intervened to let the referee judge the offside offense again.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don’t know what the superseding ruling is on it. While the playing the ball could make the offside nil, because it’s a goal scoring situation, would the offside have caused that, and therefore been the more important judgment? It’s similar in my mind to an offside player impacting a keeper from making a save. The player might not have intended, but his location led to the deflection.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I don’t know what the superseding ruling is on it. While the playing the ball could make the offside nil, because it’s a goal scoring situation, would the offside have caused that, and therefore been the more important judgment? It’s similar in my mind to an offside player impacting a keeper from making a save. The player might not have intended, but his location led to the deflection.
It's long been interpreted under the current rule that interfering with an opponent requires either direct physical interference (i.e., contact), very close proximity (within a yard or so), or in direct line of sight which impacts their action (almost exclusively applied to the keeper, but technically could impact a defender if he's in the goal).

I think it was Salah that scored one last year where he was in a clear offside position and the defender tried to reach a header to intercept a pass to him but only got a tiny piece of it and it then fell to Salah. That was ruled as an intentional play by the defender even though it would be far, far, far more excusable as a "deflection" under the current rule since he was at full stretch trying to reach a header as opposed to being fully in control of a clearance kick and just missing it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad