GWT: EPL - Matchweek 19

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Even after the pen, Arsenal won the xG battle 2.75-1.5. Just couldn't finish today.

Another result that confirms anything other than a Liverpool title is an absolute bottle job from Merseyside

Reactions: maclean

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I can’t imagine being so obsessed with a club that isn’t mine that I talk about them on a day they aren’t even playing lmao. And then I spin my own teams bad result to be about them somehow. Take your L and grow up

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Even after the pen, Arsenal won the xG battle 2.75-1.5. Just couldn't finish today.

Another result that confirms anything other than a Liverpool title is an absolute bottle job from Merseyside
Think he's mocking Savant who said the same thing about Arsenal.
I stand by it. Arsenal are supposed to be there. Liverpool aren’t.

Either way, the obsession is real.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Liverpool will be disappointed if they don’t get some silverware. It’s because they have high expectations and a lot of quality. But to think that they’d completely redo their entire midfield, and be favorites is ridiculous. They’re ahead of schedule. They have a great chance and if it’s this way in another couple match days, (especially after AFCON and Asia Cup), then it would be a disappointment.

But City should still be favorites. They’re gonna rattle off 10-11 wins and everyone else will have to pace it

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Let's be real, the real favourite for the title is and always was Man City. They don't have a tendency to bottle them either.

Reactions: maclean

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
They will end up winning by 5-10 points, yup.
I say the same thing every year. It’s all fun and games until the calendar turns over, KDB is healthy and City uncork a dozen game win streak.

But this is also the worst City team since Pep took over (except maybe 19-20; I think this team is worse and may be more fatigued from the treble run but can see argument either way) which Arsenal was certainly aware of and prepared accordingly.

Either way the door is ajar

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I say the same thing every year. It’s all fun and games until the calendar turns over, KDB is healthy and City uncork a dozen game win streak.

But this is also the worst City team since Pep took over (except maybe 19-20) which Arsenal was certainly aware of and prepared accordingly.

Either way the door is ajar
I mean, Arsenal still has a shot. So do Liverpool. City are still the overwhelming favorites though.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I mean, Arsenal still has a shot. So do Liverpool. City are still the overwhelming favorites though.
If City are “overwhelming favorites” (and they might be) it’s not based on form this season.

City favorites as long as they take care of business. But this might be the worst Pep team since he’s been settled. Arsenal will be the ones kicking themselves if they don’t do it this season though. They loaded up for this to be their year.

LFC in a weird spot. On one hand, they don’t feel as good as their record. On the other hand, they would be undefeated (and have at least 3 more points) if not for horrific point stealing officiating. Everyone knows they are ahead of schedule. To keep pace, they are going to need to have a similar January that Arsenal had last season. I don’t think they are getting it though

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
So then you’ll agree that Arsenal didn’t bottle last season?
No, I do not agree. Arsenal absolutely bottled last season.

They added three players in January to a first place team, and lost the league in late April. They were in position, went for it, and they maintained it until late into the season when they blew it. Arsenal was in first until MW 33ish I believe? Think I remember they were like 5 weeks away or something. And weren't they in first for like 20 MWs or so? Yikes.

So to sum up I am basing it on this criteria
- Length of time in first
- How late in season (April very late) they fell out
- Midseason transfer activity to improve roster
- Final point total being less than 90 (90 points good bar for winning most PLs; nice round number call it 85 if you want to lower the bar). Need to be over 90 to run with Pep
- Bonus: No other silverware from the season to reference

LFC are not at bottle stages yet. They have finished (I think) two MWs in 1st. See the difference yet?. They could get there, but lets start by seeing how aggressive LFC gets in the January window before we try to draw any more parallels. Top spot still changing quite a bit around. Arsenal knew they were going for it and acted accordingly. Lets see how it goes. Arsenal also didn't lose players to international tournaments last season which didn't hurt. Still a long way to go.

You can agree or disagree, but this is how I would evaluate. Don't think there is anything too unfair up there but to sum up, Still plenty of runway left this season for LFC to prove they are serious about seeing this through to the end. LFC would be thrilled to finish 3rd (especially if they win Carabao or Europa); Arsenal cannot say the same with a straight face. Thats the difference

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

They added three players in January to a first place team, and lost the league in late April. They were in position, went for it, and they maintained it until late into the season when they blew it. Arsenal was in first until MW 33ish I believe? Think I remember they were like 5 weeks away or something. And weren't they in first for like 20 MWs or so? Yikes.

- Final point total being less than 90 (90 points good bar for winning most PLs; nice round number call it 85 if you want to lower the bar). Need to be over 90 to run with Pep

LFC are not at bottle stages yet. They have finished (I think) two MWs in 1st. See the difference yet?. They could get there, but lets start by seeing how aggressive LFC gets in the January window before we try to draw any more parallels. Top spot still changing quite a bit around. Arsenal knew they were going for it and acted accordingly. Lets see how it goes. Arsenal also didn't lose players to international tournaments last season which didn't hurt. Still a long way to go.

You can agree or disagree, but this is how I would evaluate. Don't think there is anything too unfair up there but to sum up, Still plenty of runway left this season for LFC to prove they are serious about seeing this through to the end. LFC would be thrilled to finish 3rd (especially if they win Carabao or Europa); Arsenal cannot say the same with a straight face. Thats the difference

Also, we aren’t ahead by eight points.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Got it. Liverpool is ahead of schedule so can’t bottle but Arsenal was ahead of schedule and therefore bottled. As always, incredible cognitive dissonance

Reactions: IU Hawks fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad