Post-Game Talk: Episode 6 - Pens 5, Bolts 2 - Return of the Core

Status
Not open for further replies.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I just wanted to say Kessel's handeye is pretty insane to be batting pucks out of the air like he was last night.

The only sad part of that was had he not taken a stab at knocking that one puck in behind vasy and had loafed out in front of him the rebound would have come right to him lol

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
for all those saying rust saved us from another collapse, guys like rust arent some accident, but instead quality role players that were utterly lacking in a lot of the collapsing teams of yore.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Has anyone else been noticing how Sid Scores when his line is mixed up??? Horny doesn't fit with Sid, or if he does, the LW has to be the perfect linemate.

Someone stated it here last night and I agree. Go to 3 main lines and mix and match all game long. Sprinkle in the 4th line guys as needed.

Great idea, wish I could claim it as my own.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Rust saved us from what was shaping up to be another third period collapse. This team really needs to play for all 60 minutes, letting up a little and "protecting the lead" just seems to backfire for them. But they pulled it off and came away with a win so I guess that's all that matters. Please win game 7!

It happened against the Caps and it's happening against the Lightning. Why in the world they elect to change the game plan is absolutely beyond me. It never works...ever. They need to keep their foot on the gas for the full 60min. Period.

Unless you have a 3+ goal lead with less than 10min in the 3rd. If it's not that, then it should be attack, attack, attack, and atTACK!

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
It happened against the Caps and it's happening against the Lightning. Why in the world they elect to change the game plan is absolutely beyond me. It never works...ever. They need to keep their foot on the gas for the full 60min. Period.

Unless you have a 3+ goal lead with less than 10min in the 3rd. If it's not that, then it should be attack, attack, attack, and atTACK!

That is a lot easier said than done. It happens to every team in nearly every sport.

Call me betty*

Sheary Baggins
Nov 8, 2015
I thought Lovejoy had a fantastic game last night. I still probably will never like him as a player much (not his fault) because we gave up Despres for him, but i'll give him credit when its due.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Tampa Bay is basically the 2010 Montreal Canadians. They have their backup goalie playing extremely well. They get play taken to them for long stretches of the game. They are extremely dangerous on the rush. The series are extremely similar. Hopefully the game 7 in this series goes the Pens Way.
While there are similarities, the Bolts are much better than that Montreal team. Much more firepower and talent. That Montreal team had Gorges-Gill as their prominent D-pair (Subban was still just a rookie there). It´s not really close. But this Pens team is also better than 2010 Pens team. So we will see how it plays out.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
I thought Lovejoy had a fantastic game last night. I still probably will never like him as a player much (not his fault) because we gave up Despres for him, but i'll give him credit when its due.

Jumbo Despres is sittin on his ass eatin bon bons right now while the good Reverend has a chance to lead us to the finals. Time to rethink that trade, folx.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
While there are similarities, the Bolts are much better than that Montreal team. Much more firepower and talent. That Montreal team had Gorges-Gill as their prominent D-pair (Subban was still just a rookie there). It´s not really close. But this Pens team is also better than 2010 Pens team. So we will see how it plays out.

jeez, how'd we lose to them :laugh:

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
If they play like the 3rd period of game 4, game 5 (without the MAF), or game 6 (1st 2 periods), I like their chances.

What scares me is Tampa is one of those lucky bounce teams. We'll have pressure for 10 minutes in their zone with multiple chances, and they'll get one break and capitalize instantly.

A mantra of the game to be outshooting 15-2 with a 1-1 score...ugh :(.

I still can't figure out how they keep getting away with the trailer coming in clean and untouched.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
jeez, how'd we lose to them :laugh:
Yeah, I couldn´t believe it when it happened. Still can´t figure it out. This Tampa team is a different animal. We should be able to beat them but it would be kinda understandable if we just fall short to them. It is a damn good hockey team.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Yeah, I couldn´t believe it when it happened. Still can´t figure it out. This Tampa team is a different animal. We should be able to beat them but it would be kinda understandable if we just fall short to them. It is a damn good hockey team.

yes they are. but we should still beat them without bishop and stamkos anyways

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Jumbo Despres is sittin on his ass eatin bon bons right now while the good Reverend has a chance to lead us to the finals. Time to rethink that trade, folx.

Still a bad trade and Lovejoy hasn't looked good all post-season but he and Cole are looking poised during this trench warfare part of the playoffs.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
yes they are. but we should still beat them without bishop and stamkos anyways

Actually with the goalies, I don't think Bishop could've performed any better unless there's a particular goal I'm forgetting. A couple games ago I was thinking that Bishop coming back might actually be to their detriment, at least at this time with the way Vasilevsky is playing. Two awesome up and coming goalies dueling in this series hasn't been a storyline as much as I think it should be.

I think Stamkos not playing is mitigated in large part by Drouin but Stamkos seems like more of a disciplined player so it's still a downgrade even though they made up for his loss more than anyone would've expected.

I think overall tomorrow night will just come down to minimizing Tampa's prime chances. I have no reason to believe we're not going to score our share, so giving them one or two less sudden opportunities (which they are good at cashing in on) should give us the win all other things being equal.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Lovejoy has a game or two where he's not turning the puck over a dozen times and icing it every time he gets the puck on his stick and people suddenly think the trade wasn't horrible.

Good lord, people are idiotic.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I really hope the crowd is electric tomorrow night, players will feed off the energy and have a strong game!!!!

I think they will be.

My friend has been using my tickets for most games and i usually check in with her for crowd noise during the game. Obviously if it is loud on tv, i know its loud there. But if quiet on

tv audio, i will text her for on site opinion.

Sometimes she will confirm, " yeah it's quiet". But sometimes, like game 5, it (tv audio) is not representative.

When it sounded quiet to me during that game, i texted her, and she said "it is anything but"...."it's extremely loud in here".

I think it will be hopping there.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
If they play like the 3rd period of game 4, game 5 (without the MAF), or game 6 (1st 2 periods), I like their chances.

What scares me is Tampa is one of those lucky bounce teams. We'll have pressure for 10 minutes in their zone with multiple chances, and they'll get one break and capitalize instantly.

A mantra of the game to be outshooting 15-2 with a 1-1 score...ugh :(.

I still can't figure out how they keep getting away with the trailer coming in clean and untouched.

It's the way the offense pressure the puck. We have 2 men go after the puck carrier. Tampa is baiting us into it. Off the rush, the puck carrier enters the zone with speed but then slows up and buys as much time as possible.

Then tries to get a pass across to the wide open trailer. The guy that should be covering that man usually pressureing the guy with the puck along with a d-man.

The idea is to overwhelm the puck carrier and force him to make a great play.... tampa has a lot of guys that can. The thought process is that in most cases we can take back control of the puck quickly and back out of the zone.

Call me betty*

Sheary Baggins
Nov 8, 2015
I think they will be.

My friend has been using my tickets for most games and i usually check in with her for crowd noise during the game. Obviously if it is loud on tv, i know its loud there. But if quiet on

tv audio, i will text her for on site opinion.

Sometimes she will confirm, " yeah it's quiet". But sometimes, like game 5, it (tv audio) is not representative.

When it sounded quiet to me during that game, i texted her, and she said "it is anything but"...."it's extremely loud in here".

I think it will be hopping there.

i was at game 5 and it was very loud. there were times like when TB scored 2 goals in like a minute, the crowd went quiet. and then when they tied it late. Other than that, there were always lets go pens chants mostly during the game. I wish i had tickets to game 7, i would cheer so much, i'd lose my voice. :D

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Despres was pretty bad in the playoffs. Hurts to say, but the dude was a liability against Nashville.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad