Enough is enough... put Galchenyuk as C

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
He would be behind Eller and Plekanec which will protect him.

His playmaking skills are wasted by being a winger (and despite that, his stats are good). He needs to play center for the sake of his development.

Just look at Tyler Seguin, struggled on the wing in Boston but is off to a fast start after Dallas putted him at center. We all agree that Galchenyuk is just as good, if not better than Seguin so why waste time? Put him as a center!

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
I totally agree. DD is acting as a "progress stopper" for Galchenyuk.

Wish we had more depth, though.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
You mean like St.Louis?

Sorry but that post makes no sense. He will be a center eventually but first needs to lean the defensive side of the game. A lot les defensive responsibility on LW vs C.

LeMAD

Mar 1, 2006
Montreal
lemad.freehostia.com
Galchenyuk has a really bad start of season defensively, often losing the guy he's supposed to cover. He still has things to learn before he gets this kind of responsabilities.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
If anything, trying DD at W would be a perfect excuse to do so.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Galchenyuk is playing well on wings, the team has a winning record, Desharnais is our best face-off man and is Therrien's boy...

I don't think Galchenyuk will be a center anytime soon. For that to happen, one of Desharnais or Plekanec will have to be traded.

I'd personally try Desharnais on the wings, or dump him, but I doubt this will happen.

Malreg

May 12, 2011
Even after a 4 game pointless streak, he is still on pace for 65 points this year. What's the rush with putting him at center? Bergevin said it himself, it's going to happen eventually, but if it's not broken then don't fix it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You mean like St.Louis?

Sorry but that post makes no sense. He will be a center eventually but first needs to lean the defensive side of the game. A lot les defensive responsibility on LW vs C.

Agreed with this. I'm more concerned about Galchy's TOI than the role they may have him in. He'll get there eventually.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Galchenyuk has a really bad start of season defensively, often losing the guy he's supposed to cover. He still has things to learn before he gets this kind of responsabilities.

If Sean Monahan, Alex Barkov and Nathan MacKinnon can all play center at 18 why not Galchenyuk?

I understand he missed a full year of development but he's more than ready for centering duties.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
He would be behind Eller and Plekanec which will protect him.

His playmaking skills are wasted by being a winger (and despite that, his stats are good). He needs to play center for the sake of his development.

Just look at Tyler Seguin, struggled on the wing in Boston but is off to a fast start after Dallas putted him at center. We all agree that Galchenyuk is just as good, if not better than Seguin so why waste time? Put him as a center!

At this point Seguin is better. I still agree with your post though. If there's a spot, why not let him play C? I'm not particular on his position just yet though but having opportunity to play a few games at C will help the transition later on.

whatever7

Sep 28, 2013
MOD

Let's face it: 1pt in 10 games is unnacceptable for anyone placed in a purely offensive role.

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005

This only matters if we're supposed to be a cup contender. Losing a few extra games at the expense of the exponential growth is worth it easily.

Let him learn the hard way. Nothing wrong with that. How can he learn to play defensively at center if playing LW? It makes no sense. There's some top line centers who are vets that blow defensively. So?

Anybody rationalizing it by saying we're playing well or that he's playin well on the wing is missing the point. We're not a cup contender. Galchenyuk as a franchise center dominating all phases of the game is the only eay we'll become a cup contender. Anything we're not doing to promote that is a step sideways (or backwards).

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Putting him at centre now means he'll be getting 3rd line minutes, instead of 2nd line minutes he's currently earning as a 2nd line winger.

He's certainly not going to displace Pleks and Eller on the first two lines.

Why don't we give it a few months, some personnel changes may make the decision way easier than now.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Habs are using Galchenyuk A LOT more than they did last season and he's facing top opposition as well. This is basically the steps to getting him to playing center. I think they mishandle Subban and Eller at times but I think they're doing a great job so far with the Gallys.

Fire Everyone

Especially you
May 17, 2006

Funny how this doesn't seem to apply to Desharnais who's a liability at both ends of the ice. Well, Desharnais does have a whole point this season so he must be doing something right.

Anyway, Galchenyuk is not a winger, but if he's going to be played on the wing then he should be on the right wing. He's better on that side. It's ridiculous to play him on his worst position.

Apr 28, 2010
Funny how this doesn't seem to apply to Desharnais who's a liability at both ends of the ice. Well, Desharnais does have a whole point this season so he must be doing something right.

Anyway, Galchenyuk is not a winger, but if he's going to be played on the wing then he should be on the right wing. He's better on that side. It's ridiculous to play him on his worst position.

So.. where do you put Gallagher then? LW? Because it's not going to happen.

Seriously, Im not worried about Galchenyuk. It's only October. He's not even having a bad month. He's even doing much better than the entire Flyers lineup.

He still has 8 points in freaking 10 games! Thats not so bad.

As for DD, he's not doing anything right. He already got demoted to 3rd line C. When Briere comes back, DD will be centering 4th line.

I think people needs to stop wanting Gally to have more responsibilities. He's still 19 years old. What's the rush?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Gally is being developed very nicely. Patience. 8 points in 10 games. I like his progress

Chfan

Apr 16, 2004
Montreal
Therrien's handling of young players is getting severely underated around here.

Am I the only one that thinks he's done a great job in that aspect?

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
You guys ready for this?

Patches Gally Briere
Prust Eller Gallagher
Bournival Pleks Gio
Moen DD Bourque

role 1 offensive only line, 2 solid 2-way lines, and a 4th line that can grind and expose opponents 4th lines offensively.

Also, I'm half joking since there are always gonna be injuries... but wouldn't that be ridiculous (in a good and bad way)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00