Enforcer magazine from the 90's

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
There was a magazine in the 90's about enforcers. I think it was called Tough Guys or even Tuff Guys. All things hockey fights and enforcers, rankings, records, etc. Popped into my head randomly and I cannot find anything about it online. Curious if anyone else recalls this zine and can confirm the name.

Reactions: MakoSlade

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Hockey Stars "Tuff Guys", the editor-chief was Dave Rosenbaum. The last issue I think was from February 2000 with Stu Grimson on the cover.

Joe Lozito did the rankings I believe....

Thank you!

Found some images. I had the issue with Twist and Chelios fighting on the cover. Searched for issues on E-Bay but found nothing. Reasonable prices on Hockey Stars issues from the 80's.

Last edited:
Reactions: vandymeer13

member 83027

Here are the covers from the 8 isues they published.
1.jpg

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
There was a magazine in the 90's about enforcers. I think it was called Tough Guys or even Tuff Guys. All things hockey fights and enforcers, rankings, records, etc. Popped into my head randomly and I cannot find anything about it online. Curious if anyone else recalls this zine and can confirm the name.

Yep. I remember it. Tough Guys. I recall Sandy McCarthy (my favourite) on the cover one year (with Tampa). I think that one also had Scott Parker on the cover (he was with Hershey, I believe, at that time). And I also recall the Grimson cover. I loved that magazine.

Reactions: Finster8

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
A few weeks ago I found an issue of Hockey Stars Presents # 51 on E-Bay (fifth installment in the Tuff Guys series). It was a rewarding purchase. I had been searching since my original post. Patience and persistence pays off. Found contact info for the publisher at the parent company that once published Hockey Starts Presents.

Crochetti

Apr 25, 2019
Bonder, et all, thanks for this forum... I am sick and tired of defending old-time hockey ( I know, I know... it is in the rear view mirror....) on other blogs ( outside of HFBoards,,,) ; really enjoy hearing different perspectives, and debating in a civil manner of course, the best fighters of their era.

I am on my way to eBay now...had missed the 90's TuffGuy series (child rearing will do this...) , but will be on the hunt for issues moving forward!

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Cool stuff. Parents bought me the issue with Twist wearing the boxing gloves as well as a 96-97 fight mix tape from the roller hockey rink I played at in early 1998. Broke my leg in a fight and was in the hospital for a couple of weeks due to complications. Read that issue and watched that fight tape like 20 times while I was in the hospital.

They were pretty high on Brad May in that issue.

Reactions: FacepalmBenning

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Bonder, et all, thanks for this forum... I am sick and tired of defending old-time hockey ( I know, I know... it is in the rear view mirror....) on other blogs ( outside of HFBoards,,,) ; really enjoy hearing different perspectives, and debating in a civil manner of course, the best fighters of their era.

I am on my way to eBay now...had missed the 90's TuffGuy series (child rearing will do this...) , but will be on the hunt for issues moving forward!

So, you're saying I have competition now? Wanna go?

Reactions: Boxscore

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
They were pretty high on Brad May in that issue.

I am guessing it was from around late '96?

May was the destroyer of worlds circa '95 and '96. I remember him KOing Baumgartner and bloodying up a few other players (Terry Carkner sticks out in mind).

Early on the next season, he would encounter shoulder problems that he never really recovered from (fighting wise at least).

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

May was the destroyer of worlds circa '95 and '96. I remember him KOing Baumgartner and bloodying up a few other players (Terry Carkner sticks out in mind).

Early on the next season, he would encounter shoulder problems that he never really recovered from (fighting wise at least).

The issue came out in early '98. Not that he was a slouch by any means, but he wasn't really talked about as much by that time as he had slowed down fighting wise due to the injuries.

To be fair to the magazine, it wasn't like it was a weekly release with fresh takes. It came out once a year.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004

May was never a destroyer of worlds at any point in his career. Good fighter but never fought the top guys in that era and struggled with some average ones.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Hockey Stars "Tuff Guys", the editor-chief was Dave Rosenbaum. The last issue I think was from February 2000 with Stu Grimson on the cover.

Yep! I remember this magazine!

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Back in June I posted above and mentioned that I found the contact info for the publisher and I sent him an e-mail. Doing further digging online I found out he retired...2 days before I sent the e-mail. I didn't get the Mailer Demon e-mail but assume it will be lost forever in the interwebs.

Reactions: Boxscore

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I remember the good old days when we used to have "Enforcer" slots on our fantasy hockey teams. Man I'm old.

Reactions: Dakota Sioux

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I think I had 2-3 of those issues. Probably still have them somewhere. Are they not scanned anywhere online?

Maybe it's worth seeing if I can find them. Am I doing a horrible crime if I scan and upload a 20+ year old paper?

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I think I had 2-3 of those issues. Probably still have them somewhere. Are they not scanned anywhere online?

Maybe it's worth seeing if I can find them. Am I doing a horrible crime if I scan and upload a 20+ year old paper?
If they're archived anywhere they are difficult to find. I have been searching the net for over a year and found nothing. They are a rarity even on E-Bay. Printed on cheap paper they were not built to last.

Doubt you would encounter any issues uploading. The original publisher was bought by another years ago. If you find them in reasonable condition and want to sell, shoot me a PM. Only issue I have currently is the lower left-hand from post 4.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND

Speaking of the Grim Reaper, I’m listening to his book right now and just finished chapter 5. He was quite the hell raiser in his younger days. By the way he narrates it too

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
The issues have been scanned & digitized by myself.

View attachment 385092
Oh cool.

I never got around to scanning mine. But I did dig up my old piles and bags of hockey magazines from the storage room. I am going to leaf through them one of these days to see what I have. Or one of these summers...

Is it possible to upload those that you have there?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad