Post-Game Talk: Endgame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Good to hear but less talk, more rock.

Edit: To be clear I’m not singling out Leon, the whole team needs to get back to their defensive play that won them games earlier in the season. And a call up and trade wouldn’t hurt.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

Seems pretty clear the coaches are delivering the right messages but it's just up to the layers, especially the leaders to actually follow the instructions. Buy in with actions and not just words. I've heard many times with guys like Drai, Nuge, connor saying "o enough talk, it's time for us to actually put it into action, talk is cheap blah blah blah..." and go out and continue NOT to play the right way. There's just very little resiliency and patience in the face of true adversity. The will to win and grind it out isn't strong with these guys.

You need to keep grinding and keep developing and ingraining proper habits on ice even in the midst of losing. Keep at it. Eventually things will turn around. You can go 25-55-2 in a season but if you keep plugging away, playing the right way, be hard to play against etc. you'll eventually start going in the right direction. But to continually sag and sag in the face of adversity will only get you perpetual, annual, groundhogs-day-like suckage. They're ingraining lack of resiliency and character in the face of adversity. THAT'S the habit they're learning.

It really isn't so much the losing now... it's HOW they're losing and HOW they're playing and preparing that's very disappointing. There were games a while ago that they lost but i thought the buy in and effort was decent and i had not much of a problem with. But more and more they just aren't buying in anymore and playing the right way.... basically sagging and losing resiliency. Weak mentality and will.

Reactions: Duke74

Keenan87

Nov 10, 2008
As a non-oilers fan, I think the Oilers should trade McDavid and Draisatl for massive packages and reset. I am sure both players can get a ton in return (young players).

McDavid for Top 6 forward + Top 4 dman + Top prospect + 1st Round Pick

Draisatl for Top 6 forward + Top 4 dman + 1st Round Pick

The two first round picks can then be used to bring in additional top six forwards upfront.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
As a non-oilers fan, I think the Oilers should trade McDavid and Draisatl for massive packages and reset. I am sure both players can get a ton in return (young players).

The two first round picks can then be used to bring in additional top six forwards upfront.
giphy.gif

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

lol, go back to CP.

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015

source.gif

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
but it's just up to the layers, especially the leaders to actually follow the instructions
Oh do put a sock in it. This team has maaaybe one line of NHL talent. It was obvious on the first day of the training camp. Holland chose to sign a grab bag of hope with his few cap dollars and unfortunately came up empty. There is no amount of ‘following instructions’ that can save this team from the dearth of NHL talent on the roster. They are simply incapable of getting the job done at this level. Look at the Flames yesterday ... guy like Mangipane ... who do the Oilers have that can turn in a game like that from the second/third line? And he’s not even that great ....

Your shtick is getting so old. When the Oilers win you create lofty posts claiming that it’s because the players have all ‘bought in’ and team ‘culture’ has been addressed, overhauled and revamped. Yet weeks later when the (inevitable) losing starts, suddenly team ‘culture’ is back in the toilet, players aren’t ‘following instructions’ or playing the ‘right way’ and there’s a ‘big problem’ with the leadership group.

Let me spell it out for you .... this team sucks because they don’t have more than a half dozen actual NHL players. This team sucks because your boy Chiarelli traded useful NHLers like Hall and Eberle for junk while you stood by clapping like a trained seal and ‘explaining’ how this was going to make the team better in the long run because ... derp ... ‘kulture’.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Oh do put a sock in it. This team has maaaybe one line of NHL talent. It was obvious on the first day of the training camp. Holland chose to sign a grab bag of hope with his few cap dollars and unfortunately came up empty. There is no amount of ‘following instructions’ that can save this team from the dearth of NHL talent on the roster. They are simply incapable of getting the job done at this level. Look at the Flames yesterday ... guy like Mangipane ... who do the Oilers have that can turn in a game like that from the second/third line? And he’s not even that great ....

Your shtick is getting so old. When the Oilers win you create lofty posts claiming that it’s because the players have all ‘bought in’ and team ‘culture’ has been addressed, overhauled and revamped. Yet weeks later when the (inevitable) losing starts, suddenly team ‘culture’ is back in the toilet, players aren’t ‘following instructions’ or playing the ‘right way’ and there’s a ‘big problem’ with the leadership group.

Let me spell it out for you .... this team sucks because they don’t have more than a half dozen actual NHL players. This team sucks because your boy Chiarelli traded useful NHLers like Hall and Eberle for junk while you stood by clapping like a trained seal and ‘explaining’ how this was going to make the team better in the long run because ... derp ... ‘kulture’.

Maybe try paying attention. i never said the culture was changed for good. i said they were buying in for now and it showed in the way they defended and played as a team. I had questioned even back then whether or not it would last and if they had the resiliency to continue to push forth and buy in in the face of some true adversity. As it seems today, they are not doing a good job of that and are sagging.

Not having depth doesn't mean you have to keep coming out to start games unprepared and continue to lay eggs effort wise for important games. Depth is no doubt a part of the issue but one of greater concern is most certainly leadership and the sustained culture of this team. You can insert Ebs, hall Schultz back here for free and this team would be no better off.... heck it wouldn't surprise me if they were worse with them.... more saggers to add to the sag-fest, more guys who don't care about defence and go and give up more goals against than collecting goals for. awesome.

Last edited:

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
The only solution is to fire Tippett, worked for Toronto and Calgary and the Oilers last season, then once they start to drop off again, fire that coach too, go through 4-5 coaches a season and they might be successful.

Reactions: cantthinkofone

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
At some point in time the leaders NEED to be called out if the coaches think they are a big part of the reason for the failures. It's no coincidence that both Todd and tips have already done this. Connor is great but yes there definitely IS an issue with the leadership on this team. Connor and Drai have to suck it up and start doing things the right way (especially Drai).

The reality is that in today's NHL you have to be able to play defense as well if you are on the top line. It seems like if we can't get going with speed in the neutral zone the top line is shut down which is odd when you have 2 big bodies in Kass and Drai out there.

Reactions: mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz

Dec 28, 2019
The reality is that in today's NHL you have to be able to play defense as well if you are on the top line. It seems like if we can't get going with speed in the neutral zone the top line is shut down which is odd when you have 2 big bodies in Kass and Drai out there.
I've been saying this but folks make excuses for mcdrai....Leon especially needs to be a better two way player. Top players set the example.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I've been saying this but folks make excuses for mcdrai....Leon especially needs to be a better two way player. Top players set the example.

We don't have a team that's capable of outscoring its mistakes, not enough skill to pull it off especially on nights that Connor and Leon are unlucky or get shut down.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
You can insert Ebs, hall Schultz back here for free and this team would be no better off.... heck it wouldn't surprise me if they were worse with them
:shakehead I have no doubt that you actually believe this to be true. That’s why I can’t take a single thing you post seriously.

Reactions: PGW

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's time for McDrai to go! I've seen signs. Not sure of what, but there's signs!

Get rid of them!

lmao. Good work in the thread, some of these hot takes about McDrai being the problem, wow. The board is gravitating from Hall blaming to blaming two of the best players in hockey. Hard stuff to even read.

Reactions: iCanada

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The problem isn’t Drai or McDavid. The problem is that we played them for too long in too short of a span because the rest of our team sucks and now we’re seeing the detrimental effects.

So few people seem to realize this.

If Calgary only had Gaudreau and Monahan guess how bad they would be. Flames have better 4th liners than we can slide in on a 2nd line. They have an actual shutdown D, they have goaltending. They have team depth and can run us over just rotating lines. Mangiapane got 3pts. When do we get that run support from bottom nine, anybody? Never happens. Gaudreau and Monahan did next to nothing in the game and the Flames still won handily. That should send a message about the respective lineups involved. Both teams know it.

Reactions: iCanada

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
:shakehead I have no doubt that you actually believe this to be true. That’s why I can’t take a single thing you post seriously.
pretty sure all those guys were around in 15-16 with connor and drai and we were the worst f***ing team in the league.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
haha, starting to get that take as well.

Nobody who is actually brand new comes in and starts posting like that lol.

Also, takes one to know one. I remember long ago some cynical poster got reincarnated here... ;)

(sorry, couldn’t resist :laugh:)

Reactions: TB12
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad