Line Combos: End the JVR experiment

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Watching the game last night They need to end the JVR experiment it's hurting both JVR and Kessel.

Time to get centres on all lines. I just saw hockey central and agree with their comments.

Kessel - smith - JVR
Lupul - mcclement - clarkson
Raymond - smithson - kulimen
Orr - Ashton - mclaren/bodie

Phaneuf -Gunnar
Franson - Fraser
Gardiner - Reilly

You need Jvr back down the wing and in front of the net. He is spending too much time not with the puck.

Need to pair Faser and Franson again both are struggling without each other.

Sure our C are bad but hopefully they can win draws and just get the puck to their skilled wingers

Mapleleafs Fan*

Watching the game last night They need to end the JVR experiment it's hurting both JVR and Kessel.

Time to get centres on all lines. I just saw hockey central and agree with their comments.

Kessel - smith - JVR

Phaneuf -Gunnar
Franson - Fraser
Gardiner - Reilly

You need Jvr back down the wing and in front of the net. He is spending too much time not with the puck.

Sure our C are bad but hopefully they can win draws and just get the puck to their skilled wingers

I don't wanna watch either Fraser or Franson. If leafs doesn't have Ranger in team, it's a straight loss. I don't see any reason what so ever to watch a game.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Kessel - smith - JVR

Phaneuf -Gunnar
Franson - Fraser
Gardiner - Reilly

We just have to survive until Bozak comes back, even at 85% he will make the JVR - Kessel line that much better.

Then we can move Kadri back with Lupul, and Clarkson who seems to be rounding into form after missing 10 games this season.

The hope here is Bozak will not be rushed back into action.

Hamstring injury: Whatever you do, don't rush things. Don't even try to return to your old level of physical activity until. If you start pushing yourself before the hamstring strain is healed, you could re-injure the hamstring and develop permanent muscle weakness.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I agree - they aren't going to rush Bozak if they can help it, but JVR needs to go back to wing. I think at this point maybe... Smithson? I mean how could it HURT right?

Smithson
whomever
McClement
Smith

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I agree - they aren't going to rush Bozak if they can help it, but JVR needs to go back to wing. I think at this point maybe... Smithson? I mean how could it HURT right?

Smithson
whomever
McClement
Smith

Well somebody did mention in the Smithson signing thread that he would be a perfectly adequate replacement for Bozak, so why not test that theory out? :laugh:

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
McClement was excellent last night in both zones. I don't think he'd look out of place playing between JVR and Kessel. Could be a good stopgap until Kadri/Bozak return.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Smithson
whomever
McClement
Smith

He can play in the Nashville game on Nov 21, but considering he is in the rest-rehab(now) stage of hamstring recovery stage. Doubtful he will be ready by next Thursday. Possibly Monday Nov 25 is the target date, this would have given him 1 full month to recover.

So best case scenario we go 4 more games without Bozak.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
McClement was excellent last night in both zones. I don't think he'd look out of place playing between JVR and Kessel. Could be a good stopgap until Kadri/Bozak return.

There is nothing that can help JVR and Kessel if they don't up their compete level, disgraceful how they've responded with injuries and suspensions the last two games.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
hoping for jvr-holland-kessel line tn
although lupul-holland-clarkson would be good too...

i see it like this when kadri comes back:
jvr-kadri-kessel
lupul-holland-clarkson
kulimen-mcclement-raymond
orr-smithson-mclaren

looks good to me.... smithson has really impressed me, and i wouldn't mind seeing him with jvr and kessel tbh

edit: i was hoping jvr would figure it out but doesnt look like he will

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Bozak
Kadri
Bolland
Holland
McClemment
Smithson
Smith
Mckegg
Gauthier

Lots of centers, just no top end talent yet.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
kessel has looked exceptionally lazy last few games.. jvr just looks lost.

That's Phil he'll give you 35 games a year were he'll pull you out of your seat and 40 were you will never notice him. He's just not a Franchise player.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
JVR Holland Kessel
Lupul Smith Clarkson
Go with it. Seems like a decent enough combination for the top 2 lines and hopefully will be enough for the wingers to get going. Seriously need Kessel to get on one of his streaks and JVR to recover from the horrible center experiment.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
The panel had some negative things to say about converting him to center but I actually don't think he's fared all that bad. Passable, but not great.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Is that because JVR is capable of doing for Phil what Bozak does?

lolwut? sure? be nice if u spoke normal english....

and imo kessel is a franchise player, regular season doesn't really matter as long as u make the playoffs... if hes lazy in the playoffs than the 8*8 might be the worst thing Nonis has ever done.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
The JVR experiment summed up in one picture.

Operation_Upshot-Knothole_-_Badger_001.jpg

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
Watching Lupul, JVR and Kessel skate around in the defensive zone last night with no idea what to do or where to go was hilarious in a depressing type of way.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Is that because JVR isn't capable of doing for Phil, what Bozak does?
Kessel's play wasn't too steady even when Bozak was around. Remember when he started to produce really well when Kadri was centring his line? It didn't last long, but what is clear is really an elite perimeter forward who needs linemates who can consistently create space.

I don't even think Kadri can play that kind of game and, for that reason, Bozak should do. However, don't be surprised to see spotty performance from that line. Our recent acquisition from Holland is still a bit off and doesn't really play a PWF game. If he could, maybe swapping him with Bozak would really solidify our top line.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Seriously... that line is just doing absolutely nothing. I'd rather put a bad offensive center there than JVR. We have enough winger depth to make up for the fact that the centers won't be very good. Getting absolutely no offense from Kulemin and few points from Clarkson isn't helping either.

JVR-Holland-Kessel
Lupul-Smith-Clarkson
Raymond-Mcclement-Kulemin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad