TSN: End of the Deadline || Fire Benning, his mother, his dog and probably Willie

Status
Not open for further replies.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I'm an emotional person. It hurts me to see Benning looking like he's going to break down, despite how much I want him gone. He seems like a good guy.

On the other hand, I find the way he's treated his players and staff absolutely disgraceful, and brought this on himself by thinking he's the smartest guy in the room and surrounding himself with yes-men.

Rationally I should be enjoying this, knowing he's bound to be gone soon, but it just upsets me to see a grown man seem so broken. :(

He's a good guy and I have no problems with him as a person but he shouldn't be in a management position. Scout at most. He's a good scout. That's it. He should not be making what a GM makes. Gilman deserves this job much more over Benning, or the other competent guys he fired.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
If i had season tickets id cancel thrm for sure. **** this clown show.

You cant tell me a couple knowledgeable posters couldnt have done better than LOSE cracknell for nothing on deafline day

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
It's not possible. Visually, statistically - Hamhuis is better outside of shot blocks. And he has a relationship with the GM and wanted to go there.

Yes, Hamhuis is better. I suspect Nill wants a longer term solution. Dallas needs to fix their D. The probability of signing Russell to an extension is much better than signing Hamhuis. I'm guessing he saw more value in that.

realist99

May 3, 2010
I sure hope it isn't true that management nixed the deal.

Wouldn't be all that surprised though after the past few years. There is no doubt that management has their sticky fingers over things. To what degree? Who knows

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
The fan base may be mad at Benning, but you know, I can't imagine the players being pleased with Benning either. In the span of 2 weeks, he already put these guys under the bus:

Vey, Bartkowski, Cracknell, Prust, Higgins, etc.

Sure these guys aren't part of the core, but they're still part of the team.

And then you tell the world that no one wanted Vrbata?

Whatever culture they wanted in Vancouver is not there anymore

Exquisite

Feb 9, 2016
hope every business associated with linden fails as well when he gets booted out of here

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'm an emotional person. It hurts me to see Benning looking like he's going to break down, despite how much I want him gone. He seems like a good guy.

On the other hand, I find the way he's treated his players and staff absolutely disgraceful, and brought this on himself by thinking he's the smartest guy in the room and surrounding himself with yes-men.

Rationally I should be enjoying this, knowing he's bound to be gone soon, but it just upsets me to see a grown man seem so broken. :(

Agree. I don't take pleasure in it either.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
But I don't think he wants to re-sign Russell when someone will give him a +4m contract. At that point they are better off re-signing goligoski.

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
I don't think any good GM will come here until there is an ownership change....we'll be stuck with rookie GM's that are desperately looking to become a GM. What a ****ing joke!

yoss

May 25, 2011
I'm in full support of both the fire Benning/Weisbrod movement & the bring back Gilman/Henning one.

Each passing day w/ this management in place sets the team back further and further.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Moj going on about Benning should have accepted whatever was offered for Hammer. I disagree...strongly. What Benning did was serve notice that he won't get fleeced. If he had accepted a 3rd rounder for Hamhuis, every other GM in the league would have noticed and would, rightfully so, expect Benning to cave in future negotiations. Benning made his life in the longer term much easier today.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC

If a lot of crap can be chalked up to ownership, then yeah, I feel AWFUL for the guy, given how he's portraying himself. He's taking a ton of heat and making himself look like a fool.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Moj going on about Benning should have accepted whatever was offered for Hammer. I disagree...strongly. What Benning did was serve notice that he won't get fleeced. If he had accepted a 3rd rounder for Hamhuis, every other GM in the league would have noticed and would, rightfully so, expect Benning to cave in future negotiations. Benning made is life in the longer term much easier today.

I know what you're saying but he got nothing for Vrbata and Hamhuis. Hamhuis at least is a valuable asset for a contender. To walk away with not even a second round pick is just an epic failure.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Don't worry about Benning.. He is making a lot more money than you :) He is living a dream life just sucks at managing it.

Can't feel sorry for people like this making millions of dollars sure maybe its a little stressful but at the end of the day he get s to fly around the world have his meals all a paid for while we bust our balls to make ends meet

I say fire him after the draft since he seems to be a half decent scout

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

It hurts me and millions of canucks fans that benning screwed over are team. He needs to be fired ASAP and then people can cry for him this guy has got to go NOW

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
If a lot of crap can be chalked up to ownership, then yeah, I feel AWFUL for the guy, given how he's portraying himself. He's taking a ton of heat and making himself look like a fool.

Aquilini wanted a yes man.

Benning is the perfect guy to not question authority.

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
Moj going on about Benning should have accepted whatever was offered for Hammer. I disagree...strongly. What Benning did was serve notice that he won't get fleeced. If he had accepted a 3rd rounder for Hamhuis, every other GM in the league would have noticed and would, rightfully so, expect Benning to cave in future negotiations. Benning made his life in the longer term much easier today.

I agree with this, but honestly it shouldn't have come down to it.

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002

Yeah that's if you believe a 3rd rounder was the best offer out there and he couldn't have pulled the trigger on something else. I'm sure a 3rd rounder was not the top offer.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

A little late for that given he's been fleeced in most deals he's done to this point.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Betwen the trades of Garrison, Lack, Kassian, Sutter, Granlund, etc etc, they've already noticed.

No he shouldn't just accept a 3rd for Hamhuis because that's all he could get, but he shouldn't find himself in that position in the first place. It's the trade deadline, you're out of the playoffs so you gotta sell. This is where Benning failed spectacularly, and at this level citing poor circumstances is just a failure at the executive level for not creating the right circumstances. Like pretty much every other GM with assets to sell were able to do.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Is this serious?....on a day when Brad Treliving in Calgary reaped a treasure trove for two assets similar to Verbata and Hamhuiis, and we got zip?...and now the spin is that Benning was tough and stood firm, and that's the reason we got nothing?...don't know whether to laugh or cry.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
He did get fleeced. He got nothing for Vrbata and Hamhuis.

Exactly. He's a bad GM and a liar. He's been here long enough to know what type of GM he is. I've heard him state countless times how they weren't interested in a rebuild and we're only looking for 20+ year olds who could play for them now. The today we're apparently in a rebuild looking for picks and draft out own. He and the rest of the clown show are the worst management group we've ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad