End of Season Report Cards

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
I think there's been enough time after our last game that we can give some reasonable grades. Overall I think many players improved this season and it's been a great season for development.

Me personally, I'm giving more weight to how players played at the end of the season as that's generally a better indication of their development.

Forwards

Stone: A+

What can I say? Potential Calder winner and carried this team at times. What a year for development

Turris: A-

Had small rough stretches but again showing a linear improvement to his career. Tied 2nd most points with Stone and behind EK. I think we can safely say he can play AT LEAST a 2b role very very solidly.

Mac: B

Snakebitten at times during the season but he's proving to be a leader on this team and can produce during the playoffs. Plays with grit and is surprisingly physical at times. Shame about his concussion but seemed like he didn't miss a beat coming back.

Zibby: B+

Seemed like the departure of Spezza gave some more room for Turris and Zib to develop. Seems like a far cry now from the rookie who was clueless on the ice. Really starting to work that shot (man that sexy shooutout slinger) and using his size well on the cycle. I'd like the say Ryan really helped his game out and he seems to be using his size a lot more effectively. Hit 20 goals while playing solid defensive hockey and I could see him hit 30 in the future easily if he ups his PP production.

Hoffman: B+

Seems like he's figuring out when to be slick, dangle, and when to simplify his game. Can sometimes be suspect on D but sometimes that's the tradeoff when you've got 27 goals. One of those players that's either playing Top 6 lines or scratched. Hopefully he continues the production next year. Becoming a very pure goal scorer that can pull goals out of nowhere with his shot.

Lazar: B

I think the fact that he went mostly unnoticed every game when playing on the checking line is a very very good thing. Played a huge role on our 3rd line in their cycle game and I feel like he's already comfortable in the NHL. Needs to develop his offense more but I feel that will come if he ever gets out of the checking role the 3rd line played for the majority of the season.

Condra: B+

Guy is a defensive stewart but has hands of stone. Pretty much Chris Kelly on the wing and really upped his game after having a soso start. Knows his roles well and is huge on the PK

Pageau: B+

Really an engine and energy player. Really deserved a spot at the start of the season and only bumped down due to Lazar. A lot of the times I feel that he was the only one skating when we were playing bad. Great PKer with Condra and again a role player that's valuable to many teams. I think he has more potential on the offense that his role is limiting, but i guess it's hard to produce on the 3rd line as well as with his size.

Ryan: B-

I'm gonna admit, it was hard giving Ryan a decent grade knowing that he ran out of gas and was largely useless towards the end of the season. But then I realized that although he wasn't producing goals, he was using his body and creating chances for others. Earlier in the season he carried this team for stretches and was seemingly scoring whenever he wanted to. To be honest, I just think he's gassed and it was getting to his head. Hopefully he has a monster offseason and we'll laugh about his ~20 games that he sucked in next year.

Chiasson: B-

We see flashes of his potential here and there but it seems for now there's only room for him on the 4th line, which of course is saying we got fleeced on the Spezza deal. However, I remember he was super snake bitten to start the season and I still have hope for him.

Neil: B-

Not much to say, Neil is Neil and we all know what he brings. Hasn't changed his game much and it's questionable his role on a team like ours where there's very defined roles in regards to checking. Still useful I think to have on our team, but I think he'll be a rotation player or eased back into the squad.

9MM: C

Regressed and I feel like he's just lost his legs. No more speed on the outside past defencemen. I think at this point he's just another veteran winger who does the right motions but isn't anything special anymore. He suppose to be a 1st line player but 34 points just isn't going to cut it.

Greening: D

Not much to say here. Good luck on another team.

Smith: D+

I know he's capable of playing a 3rd/4th line role, but with the chemistry of Pageau and the veteran knowledge of Legwand it's hard to see where he fits.

Defensemen

EK: A+
Probably going to win a Norris, not much more needs to be said. But damn he's stepping up his physical game. Someone tell me if I'm wrong but when he was drafted I'm pretty sure Pierre said EK told him he modeled himself after Kronwall and I laughed cause he was like 140 lbs when he was drafted.

Methot: A

Yang to EK's Yin. Hometown boy, solid as usual.

Ceci: B

Was fading towards the end of the season but had a great season of development overall. 21 points, the most on D after Karlsson so he's coming into that Top 4 role for sure.

Boro: B

For someone that was called up this season he's been pretty solid. A total warrior and reminds of of Volchenkov. Comes up with huge hits when warranted an a tough mother ****er.

Wiercioch: B-

I've been the biggest Wiercioch hater in the season, but he was pretty clutch towards the end of the season and of course matched up well with MTL. Hope he has a nice Worlds and continues to improve. Needs to improve on the PP though, hopefully he doesn't regress and learns to defend the cycle during the offseason.

Gryba: C+

Bottom pairing guy that has made some bone headed mistakes this year. Not much else to say other than that it's nice to see him lay the body sometimes, but we have Boro for that now.

Goalies

Andy: A-

Needs to stay healthy to be a #1 throughout the season. Saved our ass many times and stole many wins so I don't have much bad things to say bout his game.

Lehner: B-

Let in some questionable, questionable goals during some games. Hopefully he comes back well from the concussion and get rid of this soft goal syndrome. He's young so he has time to just be more consistent where he can be a monster one game and let in 2-3 softies in a row the next.

Hammond: B+

Went on a huge run and played amazing but got exposed a bit during his first playoffs. Jury still out on him though but having that SV% during 20+ games is still very impressive. Hopefully he isn't just a flash in the pan, he's deserved at least a look next season, depending on whether or not he accepts the contract.

Last edited by a moderator:

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Hammond B+??

Sorry, I DISAGREE!!

You can't give a goalie B+ when he only has 1 regulation loss in 30 starts.

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
Hammond B+??

Sorry, I DISAGREE!!

You can't give a goalie B+ when he only has 1 regulation loss in 30 starts.

:laugh::laugh:

Alright alright, I'm just trying to look at the biggest picture here. He played great for us down the run but jury's still out on whether he's still a flash in the pan. B+ for me still means he played very well. If he didn't get taken out for Andy I would've given him an A.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Hammond gets an A+ for the regular season, but gets an F for the playoffs.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
LOL at Hammond as a B+ compared to Lehner as a B-!!!

Hammond: A+++ (+++++++)

Lehner : D+

Even if you think Hammond is a flash in the pan, which there might be a good argument for, the guy just had the best start to an NHL career in the history of the NHL. Like... the entire league, over it's entire history, ever. Credit where credit is due.

Lehner absolutely flopped this year versus where he was expected to be. 100% flop. Yes, maybe it's because of a new baby, or some other reason, but when we needed him, he dissappeared. B- is a rating you give a guy who is "pretty good, not great, not bad". Lehner was " oh my god, why did that go in, holy cow this guy is bad bad bad right now".

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
:laugh::laugh:

Alright alright, I'm just trying to look at the biggest picture here. He played great for us down the run but jury's still out on whether he's still a flash in the pan. B+ for me still means he played very well. If he didn't get taken out for Andy I would've given him an A.

I just don't get it. The grading is on this season alone, it does not add what potentials he has going forward, and his performance, whether you call it a fluke, or lacks conviction, it still screams an A+. I mean he was what? 24-3-1?

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Chiasson with a B- is just silly. He was a big disappointment this season. The guy is literally good at nothing. He's the most forgettable player on the roster.

He gets a D grade from me.

I hope he doesn't even get an offer from the Sens this summer. I don't even care how that affects the "value" we got from the Spezza trade.

alfie follower

Oct 16, 2013
ottawa
Stone A
Turris A
Mac B
Zib B
Ryan B-
Hoffman B
Pageau B+
Condra B-
Lazar C
Legwand C
Chiasson C-
Michalek B-
Smith C
Neil C
Greening D

Phillips C
Cowen C-
Gryba C+
Boro B-
Methot A-
Karlsson A
Ceci B
Weircoch C+

Hammond A Playoffs C
Anderson B Playoffs A
Lehner C-

Cameron A
Maclean D

LynxBud

Nov 27, 2013
Gloucester
I agree with most of this, just two glaring mistakes.

Hammond and Chiasson.

Hammond was easily an A+, fluke or not.
Chiasson was maybe a D. Was healthy scratched for a reason.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Lehner F
Smith F
phillips i can only judge him on his play not his role F
Greening F

B- for lehner i laughable. He was one of the worst goalies to play as much as he did. Whether you think he will bounce back or not this year was a disaster

Theres no way a team can make the playoffs with lehner playing the way he did. Statically bad but also emotionally deflating to the other players

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
I think you're not giving Michalek enough credit. He had an awful first half of the year (9 points in 32 games) but really got his game back in the second half (25 points in 34 games, on an 82 game pace thats 24 goals, 48 points) starting from January.

If he keeps that momentum going next year, we should be happy that he's on the team.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
LOL at Hammond as a B+ compared to Lehner as a B-!!!

Hammond: A+++ (+++++++)

Lehner : D+

Even if you think Hammond is a flash in the pan, which there might be a good argument for, the guy just had the best start to an NHL career in the history of the NHL. Like... the entire league, over it's entire history, ever. Credit where credit is due.

Lehner absolutely flopped this year versus where he was expected to be. 100% flop. Yes, maybe it's because of a new baby, or some other reason, but when we needed him, he dissappeared. B- is a rating you give a guy who is "pretty good, not great, not bad". Lehner was " oh my god, why did that go in, holy cow this guy is bad bad bad right now".

Remember that Bonk.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Lol at Chiasson getting anything more than a D or D+

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Remember saying the bolded for when Lehner comes back and destroys the league? Idk lol

Nothing about what I said was inaccurate.

Lehner was bad this year. This is a thread about grading the performance of this past year. I'm supposed to take it easy on judging Lehner this year because he will probably be better next year? That's not how a review process works.

Even if he does come back and destroy the league next year, will that make any of what I said any less untrue? Like, if he is good next year, that will somehow magically & retroactively make his 2014-15 season a work of art?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad