Prospect Info: End of season prospect rankings

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
Obviously, a few of our prospects are still competing in their respective playoffs, but I think we have enough info to go on to rank our prospects.

We'll go with a top-20, to make it easier.

1. Evan Bouchard, D
  • Another strong, excellent season in the OHL. Some defensive issues were noticed throughtout. Should be AHL bound next season.
2. Tyler Benson, LW
  • What a season. Shot up in my books and should be ready to contend for a spot in the top-9 next season.
3. Dmitri Samorukov, D
  • A breakout season. World Juniors set the stage. Absolute monster in the 2nd half of the season. Seems underrated when it comes to our prospects. To me, he looks the most likely to be a top-4 dman outside of 'The Bouch'
4. Cooper Marody, C
  • Just like Benson, what a season. Should be ready to contend for a bottom-6 role next season.
5. Caleb Jones, D
  • Hell of season. Showed flashes of his abilities in his 17 games with the big club. A very solid season in the minors
6. Ethan Bear, D
  • Struggled with injuries, but seemed like he rounded out his defensive game well this season.
7. Kirill Maksimov, RW
  • A 40 goal season. Points wise didn't like the 79 he put up, but fine-tuned his game in to a more 2-way style.
8. William Lagesson, D
  • Put up some offense, which he isn't known for. Defensive game is splendid. Should compete for a bottom-pairing role next season.
9. Joel Persson, D
  • Back-to-back excellent seasons in Sweden. To me, should spend AT LEAST half the season in the AHL.
10. Ryan McLeod, C
  • Was doing pretty well, but offense wore off after the trade to Saginaw. Most likely to be in the AHL the entire season next year. To me, seems like the perfect 3C a couple years down the road.
11. Kailer Yamamoto, RW
  • Rushed to the NHL, struggled which in turn seems like it got to him psychologically in Bako. Didn't light it up, should spend at least half the season in the AHL in '19-'20 to get his offense going,
12. Shane Starrett, G
  • Hell of a season. He's not higher right now because I want to see if he can continue it next season.
13. Hayden Hawkey, G
  • A very good season in the NCAA, not sure if we sign him though. We do have an abundance of goalies in the system. I'd let go of Dylan Wells to get him signed.
14. Ostap Safin, LW
  • A terrible season in terms of his injury. Didn't post the offense when he did return. Playoffs aren't going well for him either. A lost year for development. Should spend a couple years in the AHL to get him back up to speed. There is a player here.
15. Phil Kemp, D
  • Offense ran in place pretty much, but is known for his defensive game. Was highly thought of enough to be on the US World Junior team. Seems to have leadership abilities despite not wearing a letter. Diamond in the rough?
16. Michael Kesselring, D
  • Stock rose after his trade to Fargo. Put up ten more points in the same number of games. NCAA bound, won't see him for a few years.
17. Olivier Rodrigue, G
  • Despite his GAA and SV% numbers being similar year-over-year, he really stepped up for his team, winning 35 of the 48 games he played. Should be a contender for the starting job for Canada's WJ team next season.
18. Vincent Desharnais, D
  • Numbers were similar year-over-year, but solidified his defensive game. He was counted on to be a workhouse on the back-end. Looks like he won't be signed.
19. Patrik Siikanen, LW
  • Playing the Finnish Junior league, was close to a point-per-game. Could play in the men's finnish league, or be signed and brought over to the AHL. We'll see what happens.
20. John Marino
  • His numbers were similar year-over-year as well, but his defensive game has solidified. Along with Desharnais, looks like he won't be signing with us.

Reactions: Panda Bear

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Yamamoto should definitely be higher. When he got adjusted to the AHL he was putting up a ppg. And he's a year younger than Benson, 2 younger than Marody.

I'd do it like this:

Bouchard
Benson
Samorukov
Yamamoto
Jones
Bear
Marody
Lagesson
McLeod
Maksimov
Perrson
Starret (I don't really know where to put him).

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Yamamoto should definitely be higher. When he got adjusted to the AHL he was putting up a ppg. And he's a year younger than Benson, 2 younger than Marody.

I'd do it like this:

Bouchard
Benson
Samorukov
Yamamoto
Jones
Bear
Marody
Lagesson
McLeod
Maksimov
Perrson
Starret (I don't really know where to put him).
Mine:

1. Bouchard
2. Samorukov
3. Benson
4. Jones
5. Yamamoto
6. Bear
7. Marody
8. Maksimov
9. McLeod
10. Lagesson

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Samorukov had a great junior draft +1 year but I think everyone here has gotten a bit over excited. I tend to give more weight to prospects succeeding in the ahl relative to their age, pedigree, and skillset.

For me:

1. Bouchard on talent on pedigree.
2. Benson
3. Marody
4. Lagesson
4. Bear
4. Jones
5. Starrett
5. Samorukov
5. Yamamoto
5. Persson
6. Maxismov
6. McLeod
7. Rodrigue
7. Hayden
8. Safin

With all those being prospects I consider possible to actually have some sort of nhl career.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Obviously, a few of our prospects are still competing in their respective playoffs, but I think we have enough info to go on to rank our prospects.

We'll go with a top-20, to make it easier.

1. Evan Bouchard, D
  • Another strong, excellent season in the OHL. Some defensive issues were noticed throughtout. Should be AHL bound next season.
2. Tyler Benson, LW
  • What a season. Shot up in my books and should be ready to contend for a spot in the top-9 next season.
3. Dmitri Samorukov, D
  • A breakout season. World Juniors set the stage. Absolute monster in the 2nd half of the season. Seems underrated when it comes to our prospects. To me, he looks the most likely to be a top-4 dman outside of 'The Bouch'
4. Cooper Marody, C
  • Just like Benson, what a season. Should be ready to contend for a bottom-6 role next season.
5. Caleb Jones, D
  • Hell of season. Showed flashes of his abilities in his 17 games with the big club. A very solid season in the minors
6. Ethan Bear, D
  • Struggled with injuries, but seemed like he rounded out his defensive game well this season.
7. Kirill Maksimov, RW
  • A 40 goal season. Points wise didn't like the 79 he put up, but fine-tuned his game in to a more 2-way style.
8. William Lagesson, D
  • Put up some offense, which he isn't known for. Defensive game is splendid. Should compete for a bottom-pairing role next season.
9. Joel Persson, D
  • Back-to-back excellent seasons in Sweden. To me, should spend AT LEAST half the season in the AHL.
10. Ryan McLeod, C
  • Was doing pretty well, but offense wore off after the trade to Saginaw. Most likely to be in the AHL the entire season next year. To me, seems like the perfect 3C a couple years down the road.
11. Kailer Yamamoto, RW
  • Rushed to the NHL, struggled which in turn seems like it got to him psychologically in Bako. Didn't light it up, should spend at least half the season in the AHL in '19-'20 to get his offense going,
12. Shane Starrett, G
  • Hell of a season. He's not higher right now because I want to see if he can continue it next season.
13. Hayden Hawkey, G
  • A very good season in the NCAA, not sure if we sign him though. We do have an abundance of goalies in the system. I'd let go of Dylan Wells to get him signed.
14. Ostap Safin, LW
  • A terrible season in terms of his injury. Didn't post the offense when he did return. Playoffs aren't going well for him either. A lost year for development. Should spend a couple years in the AHL to get him back up to speed. There is a player here.
15. Phil Kemp, D
  • Offense ran in place pretty much, but is known for his defensive game. Was highly thought of enough to be on the US World Junior team. Seems to have leadership abilities despite not wearing a letter. Diamond in the rough?
16. Michael Kesselring, D
  • Stock rose after his trade to Fargo. Put up ten more points in the same number of games. NCAA bound, won't see him for a few years.
17. Olivier Rodrigue, G
  • Despite his GAA and SV% numbers being similar year-over-year, he really stepped up for his team, winning 35 of the 48 games he played. Should be a contender for the starting job for Canada's WJ team next season.
18. Vincent Desharnais, D
  • Numbers were similar year-over-year, but solidified his defensive game. He was counted on to be a workhouse on the back-end. Looks like he won't be signed.
19. Patrik Siikanen, LW
  • Playing the Finnish Junior league, was close to a point-per-game. Could play in the men's finnish league, or be signed and brought over to the AHL. We'll see what happens.
20. John Marino
  • His numbers were similar year-over-year as well, but his defensive game has solidified. Along with Desharnais, looks like he won't be signing with us.

Great reporting!

Finally, we can see our defence will be a strong point. We CANT rush prospects anymore. Let them develop

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
@OilerSuperstar17 Marody is too high at 4 and Yamamoto way too low at 11 IMO.

1. Bouchard - I'd put Bouchard at a very shaky #1 simply because of offensive upside and no elite prospects in the system to unseat him for that spot but I'm very concerned about how his game will translate. He has VERY heavy boots, plays at too slow of a pace and takes too long to get his shot off. He just looks stiff out there. This is stuff he could get away with in junior but will be eaten up alive in the pros.
I don't know, I just have a bad feeling about him but will keep him at the top for now.
I hope he gets some playing time in Bakersfield and I'm thinking he will if Bear can't play.

2. Benson - After that rookie season, he deserves a lot of love. I also think his game is perfectly suited for the pro game whether it's as a 3rd liner or 1st liner.

3. Jones - Similar to Benson in that I see a lot of pro qualities in his game. He's the prototypical modern defenseman with smooth skating and his ability to transition the puck. I think he's a good bet to be a top 4 Dman and likely within the next couple of years.

4. Yamamoto - I think people are giving up on him too quickly. He hasn't even played a full season of pro yet. I understand the concerns about his game but I can't drop him out of the top 5 yet. It's ridiculous that some people have him out of the top 10 but that's just me.

5. Samorukov - I was tempted to put him higher but it's too small a sample size for me. He had a great 2nd half of the season and was really good at the WJC but he was fairly pedestrian prior to that. I really like his game though, I always felt like he had more offense to give even when he wasn't putting up the numbers. I wouldn't be shocked at all if he was a better pro than Bouchard but I need to see more.

6. Bear - He's tough to evaluate because he's had a lot of minor injuries that have stunted his growth a bit but he was starting to play with a lot of offensive confidence before this recent injury so the arrows are pointing up.

7. Marody - A stud at the AHL level but I have a sneaking suspicion that he'll always be an NHL/AHL tweener.

8. Lagesson - Safe bet to be a NHLer. I don't see much upside but I could see him carving out a nice NHL career in a bottom pairing role.

9. McLeod - He has the tools but that mediocre production in his Draft+1 year is alarming IMO.
Another player that I need to see more of to make a proper evaluation. I did like what I saw in preseason. I'm just weary of toolsy players who somewhat lack a toolbox. Admittedly, this ranking might be a bit too low but I wanted to see more out of him this season.

9. Starrett - I never know how to rank goalies because they are so fickle but you can't ignore the season he just had. I think he'll be a strong contender for the backup position next season. He's 25 so it might be time for him.

10. Hawkey - He's good, some other organization is going to get a solid prospect. :shakehead

11. Maxsimov - The ultimate boom/bust prospect. Really interested to see how he does in the AHL next season. The Oilers really need him to pan out, the only pure goal scorer in the system.

12. Persson - Have never seen him play but he had a solid season in the SHL post-Petersson so that's a bit of an eye opener. He'll add to a very interesting and extremely crowded competition for the #6 Dman assuming that one of the top 6 are moved.

13. Skinner - A perfect example of how fickle goalies can be. He probably would have been top 5 on a lot of lists last season but a poor pro debut and here we are. Another reason why Hawkey should be signed, can't depend on any of these goalies as sure things.

14. Safin - He has some ability but a lost season for him.

15. Rodrigue - Played well on a stacked team so really hard to evaluate.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Samorukov had a great junior draft +1 year but I think everyone here has gotten a bit over excited. I tend to give more weight to prospects succeeding in the ahl relative to their age, pedigree, and skillset.

For me:

1. Bouchard on talent on pedigree.
2. Benson
3. Marody
4. Lagesson
4. Bear
4. Jones
5. Starrett
5. Samorukov
5. Yamamoto
5. Persson
6. Maxismov
6. McLeod
7. Rodrigue
7. Hayden
8. Safin

With all those being prospects I consider possible to actually have some sort of nhl career.
I agree. Plus I'm curious how much things change as the AHL playoffs go on. If Caleb Jones continues to get better I won't be shocked to see him right up there with Benson as #2 on people's lists.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
I know they aren't really 'prospects', but HM to Russell, Gambardella, Currie and Day (perhaps Dave Gust too) as well in the AHL, who had pretty solid seasons. Nice to see some of our free agent/college signings doing well, and perhaps one of them carves out an NHL career as a role player/bottom 6'er.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I read a few bits from Bakersfield that suggested that as good as Benson is, especially for a rookie, Marody is the main driver on that offence. He’s getting no respect here?

slim2001

Aug 2, 2008
Alberta
My top 20:

1. Evan Bouchard (D)
2. Dmitri Samorukov (D)
3. Kailer Yamamoto (RW)
4. Caleb Jones (D)
5. Tyler Benson (LW)
6. Cooper Marody (C)
7. Ryan McLeod (C)
8. William Lagesson (D)
9. Joel Persson (D)
10. Filip Berglund (D)
11. Ethan Bear (D)
12. Kirill Maksimov (RW)
13. Shane Starrett (G)
14. Olivier Rodrigue (G)
15. Stuart Skinner (G)
16. Ostap Safin (RW/LW)
17. Hayden Hawkey (G)
18. Vincent Desharnais (D)
19. Dylan Wells (G)
20. Michael Kesselring (D)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan Kelly

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
1 - Benson - Kid stays healthy for a full year and it happens to be his first pro season and he has not disappointed in the least. Regardless of what happens in the Calder Cup playoffs, he's got a legit shot at starting next season on the big club's 3rd line.
2 - Bouchard - Had a hard time showing that his game converts in the NHL when he came up to play in the ****show with his fellow Oilers on this train wreck of a season. Went back down and made a joke of the OHL and looked like Bobby Orr through the playoffs while London was still in it. Looks like a great talent, but he'd gotta prove he can do what makes him great against faster, stronger and smarter competition. Will likely spend all of next season in the AHL.
3 - Jones - Was brought up via injury call-up and was likely sent back down to avoid complicating the expansion draft. Is more than ready for 3rd pairing minutes 5 on 5 and to get some time on the 2nd PP unit. Back down in the AHL he produced at a really good pace and has officially clearly leapfrogged Bear. Has a chance to start next season with the Oilers.
4 - McLeod - Big strong center that is putting up a ton of points. What's not to drool over?
5 - Bear - Injuries have a ruined a potential break out season. When healthy he's put up very good numbers and he looks to be a lock to make it in the NHL, but he's got to stay healthy and stay the course. Likely to only be called up to the Oilers in case of injuries next year.
6 - Samorukov - Good size and great numbers this year. I don't know if he's AHL eligible next year, but he'll have a lot of hype behind him going into Bakersfield when he goes.
7 - Yamamoto - Still boasts tons smarts and skill. He should probably be #3 or #4 on this list and he would be there if not for injuries.
8 - Marody - Really wanted to put Lagesson here. Tried so hard to do it, but Marody and Benson were like Batman and Robin this year. Like Benson, Marody has a legit chance at making the club next season. Don't cross your fingers that they start off playing on the same line. Remember back to the Cogliano-Gagner-Nilson combo? Wonder why it sucked? Hint: It's not because they didn't have the potential.
9 - Legesson - The offensive output was a very pleasant surprise. Looks like we really do have a future NHLer in this guy.
10 - Starret - Surely we've got an NHL back-up goalie capable of playing 20-30 games next season or the season after. The question is whether or not we've actually got a starting goalie. Exciting notion, but it's too early to count our chickens.

Reactions: MikeFLB

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I read a few bits from Bakersfield that suggested that as good as Benson is, especially for a rookie, Marody is the main driver on that offence. He’s getting no respect here?
While that may be true, it is pretty easy to see why. He's 1.5 years older and his skating needs work. Everyone knew Marody would come into the AHL and be a ppg player immediately, it's whether or not he can do it at the NHL level that is still a question mark. Imo Benson's skating is already as good if not better than Marody, and that is without him having much time to work on it the past few years due to injury. Benson is a much more projectable player with more room to grow, but both definitely have NHL potential.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Just curious what it is about his game that makes you doubt it?
Decision-making for me would be my only doubt in him. He has the skating. He has the physical presence. He has the vision and puck moving. He has the cannon of a shot (still could use some work on accuracy) and has the swagger on the blue line to open up lanes to get shots through. He defends well for the most part.

Needs to pick his spots better and make better choices with the puck sometimes, but hopefully that comes with maturity. Love his game though he's a 5-tool dman at the junior level.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Decision-making for me would be my only doubt in him. He has the skating. He has the physical presence. He has the vision and puck moving. He has the cannon of a shot (still could use some work on accuracy) and has the swagger on the blue line to open up lanes to get shots through. He defends well for the most part.

Needs to pick his spots better and make better choices with the puck sometimes, but hopefully that comes with maturity. Love his game though he's a 5-tool dman at the junior level.

"He defends well for the most part" is really selling his defense short. He was voted best defensive dman in his conference by OHL coaches, and if you ask around, the consensus would be that he was the best in the entire league.

Obviously that doesn't mean it's NHL ready yet, he has to grow his game in the AHL next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad