Post-Game Talk: End of Season Interviews

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Looks like they're showing abbreviated interviews.

Few tidbits:

- Caggiula says he's a left winger.
- Maroon gonna do the same offseason routine.
- Oscar's injury was effecting his breathing.

Anyone else interesting?

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
Seems like we have a tight knit locker room. Most of the guys brought it up.
No more cliques like before, everyone is playing for each other now.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Looks like they're showing abbreviated interviews.

Few tidbits:

- Caggiula says he's a left winger.
- Maroon gonna do the same offseason routine.
- Oscar's injury was effecting his breathing.

Anyone else interesting?

This was my guess when he couldn't go in Game 6. Just from here he got hit I suspected broken/bruised ribs.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Seems like we have a tight knit locker room. Most of the guys brought it up.
No more cliques like before, everyone is playing for each other now.

Yep. It was a running theme.

The other thing that stood out for me was how Letestu stood out. He's a very articulate, genuine kind of guy. He doesn't go through the motions in his interviews. It's been mentioned in the past, but I could definitely see him joining the coaching ranks someday.

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
Letestu has a lot of future coach potential in him. Already sounds like one. Great speaker and knows how to get his point across.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
The other minor thing that caught my attention was during McLellan's interview when asked about Eberle...he gave him a lot of praise for his consistency from year to year for his offensive production, but at the end of the piece he referred to him as a great asset for the team, rather than a great player for the team.

Just reinforces the belief that the Oilers are going to shop him hard over the summer. IMO he's likely been shopped to at least some degree every summer, but this time It think there'll be some urgency to it.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
The other minor thing that caught my attention was during McLellan's interview when asked about Eberle...he gave him a lot of praise for his consistency from year to year for his offensive production, but at the end of the piece he referred to him as a great asset for the team, rather than a great player for the team.

Just reinforces the belief that the Oilers are going to shop him hard over the summer. IMO he's likely been shopped to at least some degree every summer, but this time It think there'll be some urgency to it.

Eberle...consistently mediocre, got it.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I watched the Eberle interview. Suffice to say I was disappointed in his response as to why his game faltered. :shakehead

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Not sure what you were expecting him to say. He knows he blew his first chance at the playoffs. He's not just gonna be like "I suck." Which is what I'm assuming a lot of people wanted him to say.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Not sure what you were expecting him to say. He knows he blew his first chance at the playoffs. He's not just gonna be like "I suck." Which is what I'm assuming a lot of people wanted him to say.

Why not? Owning to it and admitting he needs to be better

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
These types of interviews are a good reminder that these players are all just regular people who happen to excel at hockey. Say what you will about Jordan Eberle's performance on the ice, but he's never been anything but a class act as a person. If he does end up getting moved in the off-season I wish him the best.

Ditto for RNH who I often am over enthusiastically critical of.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012

The thing is, Eberle has never really owned up to anything in front of the media. It would be nice to hear him say for once: "it's on me to battle harder and go to the front of the net" rather than the usual: "just have to start burying our chances, it'll come".

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Why not? Owning to it and admitting he needs to be better
He did admit that. But you're not gonna get a player to come out and say "That was a wasted year, I'm terrible, hope the team trades me cuz I deserve it." Everyone's going to try to find some positives in their own game.

He basically said I feel I've improved in some parts of the game, but I have to score and I let down the team in the playoffs. Seems pretty self-aware to me.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
The thing is, Eberle has never really owned up to anything in front of the media. It would be nice to hear him say for once: "it's on me to battle harder and go to the front of the net" rather than the usual: "just have to start burying our chances, it'll come".

Yeah I don't think it was an effort thing for Eberle, or a matter of battling harder. If you think the guy didn't want to win after six years of not even sniffing the playoffs, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

This. That's why I was extremely disappointed in his responses. At the very least, identify something about his game like style or antyhing. Instead, he pegs it on something not really measurable like "confidence".

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Yeah I don't think it was an effort thing for Eberle, or a matter of battling harder. If you think the guy didn't want to win after six years of not even sniffing the playoffs, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Yea I guess him throwing the puck away when an opponent is coming at him is a great example of him "wanting to win"

He literally needs to change how he approaches his game. Every team knows hes afraid of contact. Pressure him somewhat and its almost guaranteed giveaway

awesomo

Sep 12, 2007
location, location
He did admit that. But you're not gonna get a player to come out and say "That was a wasted year, I'm terrible, hope the team trades me cuz I deserve it." Everyone's going to try to find some positives in their own game.

He basically said I feel I've improved in some parts of the game, but I have to score and I let down the team in the playoffs. Seems pretty self-aware to me.

i agree, he admitted that he let the team down. he owned it

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012

I think that after this many years in the NHL of not being asked to (or not ever trying to) play a harder, more rugged two-way game until this season, he genuinely doesn't know how to do it consistently. You see it all the time with even professional athletes; they'll be asked to make changes to their game in order to help them get "over the hump" or help the team more; they'll start to do that thing and be successful; and then they'll slip back into their old habits without even realizing it because they aren't used to it.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yea I guess him throwing the puck away when an opponent is coming at him is a great example of him "wanting to win"

He literally needs to change how he approaches his game. Every team knows hes afraid of contact. Pressure him somewhat and its almost guaranteed giveaway

I'm not arguing that he played well. I'm just saying I don't think he consciously was making soft plays. I mean I thought he took plenty of hits and actually threw some hits in the playoffs, but clearly we have different perspectives on the player.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think that after this many years in the NHL of not being asked to (or not ever trying to) play a harder, more rugged two-way game until this season, he genuinely doesn't know how to do it consistently. You see it all the time with even professional athletes; they'll be asked to make changes to their game in order to help them get "over the hump" or help the team more; they'll start to do that thing and be successful; and then they'll slip back into their old habits without even realizing it because they aren't used to it.

I agree with you, I don't think Eberle is very good at generating offence against big teams like the Sharks and the Ducks, and then you go to the playoffs and it gets even harder. If they can replace him with someone else that provides similar offence but plays a harder game, that'd be great. I just don't think marking it up to effort is really fair. The guy wanted to win.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Or maybe the coach likes him

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

He's lazy at times, he's soft and hates contact. All of that is well known. After all these years, he finally gets into the post season and looks like he didn't even want to be there. Now I know that's not true, but that's how he portrayed it as. At least RNH competed hard and won battles. It was all very noticeable at that's all you can ask for when you weren't scoring. Eberle on the other hand was the complete opposite. You want to say it was lack of confidence but who knows. He can be a decent player when he's on, but IMO I think he needs a new change of scenery and he probably would be the first one to admit it behind closed doors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad