Empty Net Wins & Loser Pts?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Does anyone know how many points the Wild have earned this season by pulling the goalie?
If this search at Natural Stattrick is right, they've scored 19 empty netters while trailing in games. I think at least one game required them to score 2 empty netters (Winnipeg earlier this year, right?). I'm also not sure how many of their games they went on to win, but I believe it's in their favor since they have a good OT and shootout record.

I think we can fairly safely hypothesize that it's at least 25 points.

*edit* I said "19 empty netters" up there. That was a mistake. I meant they have scored 19 while their own net has been empty. Just to clarify.

Last edited:

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Dom has it at 12 points and 21 goals. The difference in numbers may be whether each source counts a 6-on-5 from a delayed penalty? Not sure on that.

The previous goals record was apparently just 13, so they have already destroyed the record.

Reactions: Spurgeon

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
So not even a playoff team without some last minute heroics. Insane
When you pull your goalie with 3-5 minutes left, it's not exactly heroic... or last minute. Their goals-per-60 is apparently only 26th best in the past 15 years. They just have the highest volume to work with... ever. From the same article I posted above:

On a per-minute basis, the Wild’s goal-scoring doesn’t quite leap off the page as you’d expect. There have been much more efficient units in the past and even this very season. Since 2007 the average team scores 8.3 goals-per-60 with their goalie pulled. While the Wild have scored 15.3 goals-per-60 with the goalie pulled, that actually only ranks 26th over the last 15 years — and fourth this season behind Tampa Bay (21.6), Colorado (16.6) and Pittsburgh (15.5).

The difference is how much time Minnesota spends in that situation: 82.2 minutes, or 1.26 minutes per game. The previous high for both was 73.3 minutes by the 2015-16 Avalanche and 0.9 minutes per game by the 2020-21 Blues. This year, the next closest team is the Kraken at 55.9 minutes and 0.85 per game.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
if the op is implying we're not a legit playoff team i'd disagree. we made it this far with our D playing avg & avg goaltending. now we have a goalie who could get hot and carry this team and its about time our D steps up.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
if the op is implying we're not a legit playoff team i'd disagree. we made it this far with our D playing avg & avg goaltending. now we have a goalie who could get hot and carry this team and its about time our D steps up.
Our D was better than avg. Our goaltending was below avg.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Our D was better than avg. Our goaltending was below avg.
Agreed. I was just looking at MoneyPuck.com the other day, and at 5v5 the Wild are at -12.07 Rebound Shots Against Above Expected, which is 3rd best in the league. They also have 15 rebound goals against, which ranks 4th in the league. Either our goalies are awesome at swallowing the puck (I don't think so), or our defense collects rebounds very well.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
GA already 207 with 16 games to go. worst GA recently was 18/19 237. we lost suter , soucy & cole our D is not better this year.
I didn't say or D was better this year, I said our D was better than average.
Our goals allowed are also affected by the below average goaltending though besides.

Our xGA stat has been very good all season, showing how good our defense has been, our GA stat though shows that despite the easy workload, the goaltenders weren't making all the saves they should have.

That results in above average defense, below average goaltending.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
unfortunately i have to disagree i feel the goaltending was ok and our D has let us down this year. if you need stats look at our weak PK. this is not a year where i've said our goalie couldn't stop a beach ball unlike the past.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
unfortunately i have to disagree i feel the goaltending was ok and our D has let us down this year. if you need stats look at our weak PK. this is not a year where i've said our goalie couldn't stop a beach ball unlike the past.

We are 2nd best in expected goals against and 14th best in save % in 5v5 play.

Shorthanded, we're middle of the pack in both.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Our PK was terrible across the board,nobody will deny that.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. The D looked good, the goaltending looked bad to me, the stats backed it up. It is what it is. We're better now on all accounts anyway.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
are you saying were better GA without suter , soucy & cole compared to this group with goligoski, kulikov merrill & benn? i just can't see it. maybe im blind.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
are you saying were better GA without suter , soucy & cole compared to this group with goligoski, kulikov merrill & benn? i just can't see it. maybe im blind.
Our defense is not better, but it didn't drop near as much as expected either, they're still above average. Our goaltending though, was below average for quite some time... IMO mostly due to very poor rebound control by both Talbot and KK. That's why we needed to make a move to improve our goaltending. Picking up Flower was an immediate upgrade and it even sparked Talbot as well, so now we appear to have two goaltenders playing well in net.

In the process, picking up Middleton on D and picking up Jost and Deslauries at forward has helped our anemic PK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad