Empty net goals scored by a team

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
This seemed like it would be a relatively straightforward thing to find.

For each NHL team, I'm trying to calculate an overall shooting percentage for the season (regular season plus playoffs), which I would then normalize by looking at the average opponents' shooting percentage on the schedule.

However, I'd like to remove empty net goals (on both sides of the calculation). Empty net goals against is simple; Ralph's site has that. Where can I find team empty net goals scored, compiled on a season-by-season basis (and I think the postseason numbers will be the hardest to come by)?

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
I'll check it out - thanks!

In the long run, including empty-net goals would increase each team's shooting percentage (duh). If I normalize these to average, then it would disproportionally benefit teams with more empty-net goals (also duh).

That would lead to a slight overvaluing of good teams, which if I'm attempting to capture a measure of opposing offensive quality, isn't necessarily a horrible outcome.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I'll check it out - thanks!

In the long run, including empty-net goals would increase each team's shooting percentage (duh). If I normalize these to average, then it would disproportionally benefit teams with more empty-net goals (also duh).

That would lead to a slight overvaluing of good teams, which if I'm attempting to capture a measure of opposing offensive quality, isn't necessarily a horrible outcome.

We'll end up using the same information for different purposes. I'm in the process of not only trying to prepare this year's magic numbers thread, but also of fine-tuning a Pythagorean formula for the NHL. It's been a significant challenge with the shootout and the so-called "loser point", but I think I'm getting close.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
The stats on nhl.com can go back all the way to 87-88. You just have to manually change the year in the url address bar (or whatever it's called).

For years before that, the only way I can think of is to find out how many ENG a team had scored against them, and then check their game summaries to find them, and therefore which teams scored against them. It's usually easy to find by first checking games where they lost by 2 or 3 goals.

Unfortunately for those years, there's always the chance that the official NHL statistics don't match the reported summaries. For example, I recently found out that the 85-86 Hartford Whalers are credited with 5 ENG scored against them, but by researching summaries and comparing them with newspaper articles it appears that there were actually 7.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
I recently databased my website, which makes the data entry process much more straightforward. Prior to that (when I was literally entering game log results, daily by hand, for two leagues, on different goaltender URLs), I took some steps to be more efficient.

For one of those, although I remove empty-net goals from a goaltender's statistics (so if a team had 30 saves on 35 shots, but one ENG, then the goaltender would get 30 saves on 34 shots), I didn't keep track of the empty net goals themselves on the line item account.

In theory, it should tie together if I compare the team goals allowed on a date to the sum of the goaltenders' (shots minus saves for the dates, and then I'd be able to get ENG for all seasons that I have logged (1984-85 to present for NHL, 2003-04 for AHL).

Keep your fingers crossed. :)

El Gato Bodegero

Oct 22, 2008
Mexico City
Emoty Net goals are very important. I have lost a lot of bets because my team gets tied in the last seconds because they failed to score the empty netter, and then they lose in OT or Shoot-Out. I have also lost a lot of bets because of the -1.5 Rl Line cause they failed to score the empty netter.

So in a way only gamblers appreciate and have admiration for players who score empty net goals; for everyone else its like a stat that shouldn't count.

4 weeks ago I was going to win a 6 team parlay and had Maple leafs -1.5; they were winning 5-2 vs Ottawa and Ottawa scored 2 goals in the last 5 minutes, one of those goals came with their Net empty and the final score was 5-4.

The maple leafs failed to score an empty net with 2 minutes left in the game.

Empty net are goals and they're are very important. Plus there has been some empty net amazing goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad