franzen--filppula--sammuelson
bertuzzi--helm--cleary
abdelkader--miller--tootoo

and 7 regular defense:
kronwall-ericsson
smith-quincey
colaiacovo-white
kindl

my question is what will happen with CORY EMMERTON AND JAN MURSAK ??

and id really like GUSTAV NYQUIST AND TOMAS TATAR play some game to prove that they are ready to play in the nhl regular ..and takethe place at cleary and sammuelson next year on the line up ...

i would also like to see LANDON FERRARO and RILEY SHEAHAN in the future

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Emmerton should be traded. And I still believe Mursak has the potential to be a contributing bottom 6'er and PK'er with his speed and tenacity.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Mursak should get a chance, don't really care much what happens to Emmerton. I think he is better out on the wing and can actually play for a couple different teams in the league. But in the numbers game in Detroit, he is easily the first one I would like to see cast out. I would also get rid of Miller before Mursak.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Mursak should get a chance, don't really care much what happens to Emmerton. I think he is better out on the wing and can actually play for a couple different teams in the league. But in the numbers game in Detroit, he is easily the first one I would like to see cast out. I would also get rid of Miller before Mursak.

Miller is still a proven player of value for this team. And is needed for depth.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Miller is also a player that has been waived twice and had a career year, think people should be careful there. Mursak is a very good penalty killer and with his ankle back to 100% offers more speed and is actually more physical than Miller who is quite light.

I hope they trade Miller while his value is highest to be honest. I hope he has a good year if he sticks around but I want Mursak in over him.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Emmerton's path is pretty clear right now: if Abdelkader doesn't cut it as the 4th line center he'll be moved to wing and Emmerton is the most likely guy to get that 4th line center spot. I can take or leave Emmerton, we just have plenty of data to indicate Abby ain't a center in the NHL. As far as Mursak goes he'll be on the roster and will have to make the most of any opportunities he's given. I do think we'll see more injuries than usual given the abbreviated training camp so he should get a long look in the lineup and at that point it's up to him to entrench himself to the point Babs will not want to replace him when guys get healthy.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Miller had a good year but he is very replaceable, lets be honest. Mursak is young still and has the potential to be a lot more than Drew Miller, it's really too bad he has no spot at the moment.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
If they move Gator off center on the 4th line. I'd rather see Andersson or Sheahan than Emmerton. Gator will be the 4th line center all year long IMO.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Yeah Miller was really important to our team (especially during the win streak). He, Helm, and Cleary on the third line were great until injuries hit.

Miller was really important to our team until Helm got injured, because once again Helm makes his linemates more effective. After Helm was out, Miller was just another body.

Miller's more polished right now, but Mursak's speed potentially makes him more valuable. Injuries did him in last season, but the year before I thought he showed a lot of potential in his limited time. Along with his borderline elite speed, I thought he was pretty effective along the boards - which is another trait you look for in a quality bottom 6 player.

RedWingsNow*

IMO, I'd rather keep Emmerton and dump Abdelkader, but that won't happen.

At the end of the day, Neither guy is an ideal center, but Emmerton can skate and with hard work I see him as a guy who'll be in this league for a long time and maybe have a couple decent 15 goal seasons. But I don't see those seasons happening in Detroit, quite honestly. I can see a Greg Johnson type career for Emm.

Abdelakder, if he doesn't move to the Wing, is going to continue to suck donkey balls. He's too slow to be a defensive center... and lacks the size to make up for it. I see him developing into a garbage goal checking winger who can score 10-15 goals a year and play physical hockey if he moves to the wing. If he stays at center, he'll be no good to himself and no good to the wings.

RedWingsNow*

If they move Gator off center on the 4th line. I'd rather see Andersson or Sheahan than Emmerton. Gator will be the 4th line center all year long IMO.

Andersson,,, what's with him this year?
Production is down. He's a minus player.
And unlike other guys, he's 23 -- he'll be 24 in less than a month.
Are we wasting this guy?

You consider that Ferraro and Sheahan are out scoring him

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
IMO, I'd rather keep Emmerton and dump Abdelkader, but that won't happen.

At the end of the day, Neither guy is an ideal center, but Emmerton can skate and with hard work I see him as a guy who'll be in this league for a long time and maybe have a couple decent 15 goal seasons. But I don't see those seasons happening in Detroit, quite honestly. I can see a Greg Johnson type career for Emm.

Abdelakder, if he doesn't move to the Wing, is going to continue to suck donkey balls. He's too slow to be a defensive center... and lacks the size to make up for it. I see him developing into a garbage goal checking winger who can score 10-15 goals a year and play physical hockey if he moves to the wing. If he stays at center, he'll be no good to himself and no good to the wings.

Seriously? Abdelkader is bigger, more physical, far better defensively, better offensively, kills penalties and is better on the draw than Emmerton.

The only thing Emmerton "might" do better is skate, but its not like either are known as great skaters.

I wouldn't be upset if Emmerton was just outright released.

RedWingsNow*

Seriously? Abdelkader is bigger, more physical, far better defensively, better offensively, kills penalties and is better on the draw than Emmerton.

The only thing Emmerton "might" do better is skate, but its not like either are known as great skaters.

I wouldn't be upset if Emmerton was just outright released.

Emmerton is a good skater. He surprises me with his speed, acceleration and agility.
Watching Abdelkader at center reminds me of Kopecky at center.

Emmerton looks like a young, borderline NHL center. Which is what anyone could anyone could expect.

Abdelkader looks like someone playing out of position.

Abdelkader is a liability at center. Take a look at his two playoff runs at center.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Mursak isn't going to be a top 6 forward and is to weak for a bottom 6 role for my liking. I'd trade both. I'd also trade Joakim Andersson.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Emmerton is a good skater. He surprises me with his speed, acceleration and agility.
Watching Abdelkader at center reminds me of Kopecky at center.

Emmerton looks like a young, borderline NHL center. Which is what anyone could anyone could expect.

Abdelkader looks like someone playing out of position.

Abdelkader is a liability at center. Take a look at his two playoff runs at center.

Abdelkader is definitely not a great center, but he's much much better than Emmerton at the position. Emmerton has no physical edge, is the worst faceoff man on the team, is a nightmare defensively and is only a year younger.

Emmerton would have trouble cracking even bad teams line-ups at C.

RedWingsNow*

Abdelkader is definitely not a great center, but he's much much better than Emmerton at the position. Emmerton has no physical edge, is the worst faceoff man on the team, is a nightmare defensively and is only a year younger.

Emmerton would have trouble cracking even bad teams line-ups at C.

One, Emmerton isn't that bad at faceoffs.
Two, Emmerton is far from a nightmare defensively. I remember when people used to say he's "already a good defensive forward' back when he was in the AHL. I don't think it was true. But Emmerton is a smart hockey player. Smarter than Abs. And Emmerton is a superior skater.
He's not as big. But Abdelkader isn't a giant, either.

I dont' care if a center has a physical edge,. I care if a center can skate well enough to cover the rink, goal-line to goal line.

Emmerton will be a regular center in the NHL in 2-3 years. Will he be a good one? I don't know about that. But I think he'll be a useful player.

IMO, Abdelkader isn't useful as a center

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I dont' care if a center has a physical edge,. I care if a center can skate well enough to cover the rink, goal-line to goal line.

I think I will file this away for the next time we discuss Sheahan as I am fairly certain that line will change.

I actually think Emmerton would be better on the wing. But I do agree with CB that Emmerton really improved his faceoffs over the backhalf the year and he is a pretty decent defensive forward. I would part with him over some of the other players, but he isn't a total lost cause in the NHL. If he could find the right situation he could take off, I just have my doubts that it will be in Detroit. I will say I thought he was one of our better forwards against Nashville, although it was hard to pick out bright spots in that series, I was happy with what he brought. He needs to be better on the pk to earn a spot, of course with the Knuble try-out I am starting to wonder if Holland already has some move lined up.

RedWingsNow*

Well, Sheahan is taller AND he can skate.

Abs is a fine depth winger. He has no business at center.
If next year our fourth line was Abdelakder Sheahan Ferraro, I'm fine with that.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
I think that it's quite possible they both end up just not working out in Detroit. People on here make sense in saying that Emmerton could switch to winger and end up with a strong career, but as far as I see, Detroit has a huge amount of NHL quality center depth players coming up in the next couple of years in guys like Jarnkrok, Andersson, and Sheahan, and while he may be better than Andersson, I think the other two are easily going to take priority over Emmerton unless he steps up his game soon or is able to switch positions effectively.

Mursak is probably even less likely to be given a chance than Emmerton. Dude has done nothing to impress Babcock enough to get playing time, and when given it he hasn't really done much with any of it... he doesn't do anything to really stand out too much. Everyone here says he's got such a higher ceiling, which may be true, but he needs to actually bring it sometime and do something impressive so that he can hold down a spot for himself. I guess the same should be said for Emmerton, but Emmerton is clearly favored for whatever reason due to how much more playing time he got last year.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
This Corey Emmerton that Bob is describing is one I have not seen during his time in the Wings organization. "Good skater" with "speed" and "agility"? Word? Good defensively? If you go by Bob's observations you'd think we had a budding young center with the potential to be a 5-10 year fixture at a 3rd or 4th line spot, not the player who presently is a borderline NHL plug who may not be in the league 1-2 years from now.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
One, Emmerton isn't that bad at faceoffs.
Two, Emmerton is far from a nightmare defensively. I remember when people used to say he's "already a good defensive forward' back when he was in the AHL. I don't think it was true. But Emmerton is a smart hockey player. Smarter than Abs. And Emmerton is a superior skater.
He's not as big. But Abdelkader isn't a giant, either.

Emmerton will be a regular center in the NHL in 2-3 years. Will he be a good one? I don't know about that. But I think he'll be a useful player.

IMO, Abdelkader isn't useful as a center

Agree with you, Abdelkader isn't enough good at center play, even though he's good at faceoffs. That faceoff skill is good for penalty kill, but that's outside of this real center discussion. 5-on-5 play is what matters 90%.

This is also one reason why I've been touting that Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Filppula-Helm center core. No one can match that in this league. Then there's no weak center in any line, all can defend well, skate and rush the puck. Really traditional Red Wings center work. When every of your line is strong at centre, you have very very deep offence, nothing like we had for example at last season.

Our winger depth is now so much better, that we could build that extremely strong center-core (if Helm ever gets healthy again ;) )

Yeah yeah, "Filppula has to be at TOP6 and Helm is the best 3rd center in the league, Babcock said it!", I've heard that enough and know that. They can get their extra minutes with extra shifts at key moments of the game, no problem. But to get really balanced attack, you put the best guys in the middle and then build around them.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
This Corey Emmerton that Bob is describing is one I have not seen during his time in the Wings organization. "Good skater" with "speed" and "agility"? Word? Good defensively? If you go by Bob's observations you'd think we had a budding young center with the potential to be a 5-10 year fixture at a 3rd or 4th line spot, not the player who presently is a borderline NHL plug who may not be in the league 1-2 years from now.

He didn't say good defensively did he? :laugh: Emmerton had one job and that was to play 8 minutes/night and not get scored on, FAIL. Yes, you can say it was a team effort to get scored on but in his case you would be wrong. So many times it was his man in the high slot left alone to score. Good face off man? sub 50% is not good in anyone's books. He's just not good enough at anything. We have a deep enough team that we can use a players situationally and put players in a position to succeed. I don't see what his strength is. Even people who complain about Sammy will say he has a use on the PP (but that's another thread).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad