Confirmed with Link: Emil Heineman Signed to 3-Year ELC (Will Sign PTO to Join Laval)

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Could be. But we're loaded with potential Lehkonen replacements as bottom six wingers short and long term:

Byron, Armia, Gallagher, Pitlick, Ylonen, Heineman, RHP, Mysak, ...
The young guys don't seem to be Lehkonen types (granted, I've only seen 3 or 4 of them play). As for the vets Byron or Armia would be the closest comparables. I'm sure they don't want a 6.5 million dollar 3rd liner (Gallagher) either. I could see the Habs trying to move all 3. I think they'll try and go with cheaper alternatives for 3rd and 4th liners.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The young guys don't seem to be Lehkonen types (granted, I've only seen 3 or 4 of them play). As for the vets Byron or Armia would be the closest comparables. I'm sure they don't want a 6.5 million dollar 3rd liner (Gallagher) either. I could see the Habs trying to move all 3. I think they'll try and go with cheaper alternatives for 3rd and 4th liners.

I think Gallagher and Armia will take a lot more time to get their trade value so should be here in the short term. Byron will almost certainly be gone by next summer. I'd be fine with re-signing him at a much lower cap hit though. Still fast and gritty. Amazing how hard he works in the corners for his size - and can still beat guys up and down the ice.

Reactions: schwang26

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
At the time the Habs acquired him, he had the highest G/60 in the SHL, producing quite a lot in his limited use

The per 60 stats have their flaws but they can help to contextualize the offence potential of a young player. I'm pretty excited to see what he can do

Jul 6, 2016
Deep playoff runs, Guhle team is probably the best in the CHL and I would be surprise if they don’t win the Memorial cup.
Guhle is injured for a while. Hopefully back for WHL Playoffs.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So Laval is a very strong possibility next season, sweet. Hopefuly this lights a fire under him and he gets extra motivated to come back strong from his recent injury issues.

I don't think he can play in Laval next year due to the PTA in place, I never found out what the loophole was in December with Norlinder, So unless something changed, as far as i know, Heineman has to either be on the Habs or sent back to Leksands due to him being under contract in Sweden before he signed and NHL contract and being a non 1st round pick.

That’s cool ! with Heineman and Barron, Laval will be interesting to watch

I don't believe he can play in Laval next year.

Just curious, do you watch him play? How does one watch streams legally for Swedish hockey?

C More, but in North America I believe you need a VPN.

I'm curious though because I believe in December, he signed a 2-year extension with Leksands in the SHL. Leksand's season is over, but will he go back there next year? Will it be a similar situation as Norlinder, who was still under contract with Frolunda?

As far as I know it's the same situation as Norlinder, that said I still don't know what the loophole that MB talked about in December, I never found out so I don't know what's going on and I can't find the PTA agreement between the NHL, IIHF and Sweden or any other country as they each signed their own except Russia who refused.

Nice!

Hopefully, whatever injury has been bugging him the last few games is fully healed once he gets to Laval. Or maybe his coach just isn't playing him at this point (?).

It was a concussion, I was watching the game when it happened, you can see the hit,

How does that work? Is there not some kind of negotiation for his rights that is supposed to take place when he's committed to another club?

Or maybe there's an escape clause in his Leksands contract whereby if an NHL contract his tendered, a player is free to sign the NHL contract which then has precedence and the Leksands contract is no longer binding?

The NHL signed a Player Transfer Agreement with the IIHF and each country. The rule is as far as I know it at least, as the last PTA that was signed a few years back for some reason I can not find it anywhere on the internet, but the rule is that for non 1st round picks, they can only play in the NHL. If not they have to be sent back to their SHL club. A 2 week conditioning stint doesn't count as that's what we saw with Norlinder when he came back from injury.

Now in December MB said there was some loophole that allowed Norlinder to play in the AHL the rest of the year, I have no clue what he was talking about, I never heard about that before but there's also very little info out there about the PTA.

So if he doesn't make the Habs, he could leave Laval at any point while his European contract is still valid to go back to Europe?

As far as I know, it's Habs or Leksands next year and I assume for the next 3 years though this is the first time I can recall it happening to a player that was signed for 3 years as I don't recall that happening with any Hab prospect before. So I don't really know.

Deep playoff runs, Guhle team is probably the best in the CHL and I would be surprise if they don’t win the Memorial cup.

I've watched a lot of Hamilton, I wouldn't be surprised if they win the Memorial Cup, they look really good too.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Why? He hasn't shown anything in Sweden yet.
He fits the required profile of the team’s current imperative: he can skate. Its obvious, while almost a decade too late, we are transitioning to a high tempo team. The days of watching most of our defencemen playing with faces pushed against the glass and our forwards chasing the play, it will be our team that sets the tempo. We many not win, but it will at least be entertaining. Hallelujah.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I wonder if that pushes teams away from Sweden. How many guys come straight from SHL and make the NHL? Delaying some of them to 24 would be pretty brutal. Though I'm guessing it's to stop players drafted in later rounds from going and playing 4th line minutes in the AHL while they're still useful back home. We're seeing a lot of Russian prospects come over at 20-21, play in the AHL for 2-3 years then go back. I'd guess it's a similar problem for Sweden.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Just to ask, Habs signed few players lately, but we are now close to the 50 players. With all the players and the draft selections we have last seasons, is it a good thing to sign players that fast ?

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
Just to ask, Habs signed few players lately, but we are now close to the 50 players. With all the players and the draft selections we have last seasons, is it a good thing to sign players that fast ?
With Hughes (former agent), Gorton and Sedgwick in charge, I'm sure they have a plan for each contract spot. So I wouldn't worry tbh

Reactions: dralaf and Tyson

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I wonder if that pushes teams away from Sweden. How many guys come straight from SHL and make the NHL? Delaying some of them to 24 would be pretty brutal. Though I'm guessing it's to stop players drafted in later rounds from going and playing 4th line minutes in the AHL while they're still useful back home. We're seeing a lot of Russian prospects come over at 20-21, play in the AHL for 2-3 years then go back. I'd guess it's a similar problem for Sweden.

It's very interesting, you get 4 years before you have to sign them so that's around 22, so that means if they don't make the NHL team and I guess their SHL has to give the ok to play in the AHL, if not then the NHL loses a spot on the 50 while that player is back in Sweden like Norlinder this year or Xhekaj. So I doubt it pushes teams away from Sweden, just makes things a little more difficult

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
With Hughes (former agent), Gorton and Sedgwick in charge, I'm sure they have a plan for each contract spot. So I wouldn't worry tbh
former agent. He knows how to negotiate but he's a newbie gm. i do appreciate a lot his moves until now but he's on a learning process.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Heineman leaving Amsterdam to come to Montreal. From his IG Story:

Screenshot_20220406-101850_Instagram.jpg

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Gallagher and Armia will take a lot more time to get their trade value so should be here in the short term. Byron will almost certainly be gone by next summer. I'd be fine with re-signing him at a much lower cap hit though. Still fast and gritty. Amazing how hard he works in the corners for his size - and can still beat guys up and down the ice.

Byron an Drouin are probably trade deadline moves.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

It opens up a lot more this summer. I think we will be around 45-47 contracts to start the year next season.

30 contracts in place next year as it stands today.
RFA's: Romanov, Pitlick, Pezzetta, Clague, Schueneman, Monty, Schnarr, Teasdale, Brook, Primeau
UFA's: Dauphin, Wideman, T Pitlick, Vejdemo, Belzile

That's 45 contracts and who knows if we sign Wideman, T Pitlick, Vejdemo but if not, we likely sign other guys.

So yeah, I'd say 45-47 contracts to start the season. I personally don't see any issues

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Nope. Purely stat watching.

He's a big body that skates very well and causes a lot of turnovers. Seems to have above average goal scoring and shot power. Not a play making winger but what you get in the trenches is more value than most will realize.
I consider him a solid middle 6F for us moving forward. Probably not going to rack up points but makes things easier for the coach and his line mates. Going to score some key goals here and there cause it looks like he can finish from the video I have seen.

Very curious to see how he fits in Laval and what he can do. Making the trip overseas is not easy but if he shines right away in a new environment, that's an area I will value.

Reactions: Gravity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad