Confirmed with Link: Emelin extended for 4 years (4.1 Million per)

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Provincial income tax rates in 2013.

Quebec:25.75% in the highest tier.
Ontario:13.16% in the highest tier.

Marginal tax rate in California 2012-2013 is 10.3% in the highest tier.

That is a huge difference when you are talking millions of dollars.

Ontario's highest tax bracket including federal tax is somewhere around 40% and Quebec is not much higher. It makes very little difference tbh.

The difference in Canada is Alberta where they don't have any provincial tax

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Nice to see Emelin extended. Hope he can come back throwing his hard hits again and plays well to prove he's worth that contract. If he can do that after his return this year he would've likely gotten even more than 4.1M if he hit the UFA market this summer IMO. Right now 4.1M per does seem like a gamble though but we'll see.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
While as i always it be better if it was a lower cap hit, what do people who disagree with the amount being paid think he should be paid?

I have no issues questioning the term because of injuries however in terms of pure money, what should he be paid?

20 minute a night defenseman, especially free agent ones i believe tend to command in the 3.5 to 4.5 range from what you see around the league. Emelin fits in that category in my opinion.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Ontario's highest tax bracket including federal tax is somewhere around 40% and Quebec is not much higher. It makes very little difference tbh.

Exactly, they're pratically the same. If you look at which teams have the lower taxes, people will realize that high taxes is among the last reason why a player will chose to play somewhere or not.

For most teams the difference with the habs is marginal, around 5-8 % less in taxes.

Here are the latest stats : http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hocke...u-ch-restent-les-plus-imposes-dans-la-lnh.php

And franckly I'm ****ing proud of that stat, actually, it should be higher, social inequalities have exploded in the last 20+ years.

Why do players want more money and terms, aside from greed, is very basic : value as a player. In today's game, how do we really value the importance of a player to a team other than with its contract ??? Yes, the captaincy, the marketing side and the coach's use of the player counts, but it all comes back to what the team is ready to offer to the player.

BTW... this is a **** contract, I'm tired of seeing this team sign marginal players to big contracts while we are missing some star players, espacially offensively. MB is starting to get on my nerve.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I remember Vincent Damphousse saying that it was rarely a huge concern for players. Yes income tax is a little higher here, but Montreal is a very affordable city.

Damphousse also played in California and he was saying that it wasn't much different overall.

Montreal is not an affordable city if you are wealthy.

It's affordable for lower/middle income households.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Emelin's contract makes what's coming pretty interesting.

Subban will have to be re-sign with a big raise.
Markov's gonna stay, I'm pretty sure of it. He's happy in MTL, has always be loyal to the team, and he's still very good while no kids will be able to do what he's doing for another 3-4 years.
It means Bouillon's out.
Now what's gonna happen to Murray and Diaz?
I wouldn't be surprise to see Gorges traded in the off-season, depending on how a kid is developping in Hamilton. Morover if Murray plays well the rest of the way and is willing to sign for another year.

Bullsmith

May 21, 2007
Emelin's a good hockey player and a major pain to play against. Very glad to lock him up. Hope he recovers fully. He's right in his prime so the term is good.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Provincial income tax rates in 2013.

Quebec:25.75% in the highest tier.
Ontario:13.16% in the highest tier.

Marginal tax rate in California 2012-2013 is 10.3% in the highest tier.

That is a huge difference when you are talking millions of dollars.

The biggest difference is with US cities, where the differential can reach 20-25%. And since the majority of NHL teams are in the US, other Canadian cities are not a viable reference.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Montreal is not an affordable city if you are wealthy.

It's affordable for lower/middle income households.

Got a problem with that? Try Hong Kong, where the middle class is getting its guts squeezed out while 1% property class drink Champers all day and do **** all, as usual.

Montreal is healthy that way, and I will be coming back. **** cities like NY, London and HK. They suck for middle class.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
People hating on Montreal don't understand the flip side of it: we have quite an equal population, it's not perfect but it's not bad at all. The glut of middle, ordinary people is what gives our city such vibrancy and flavour - I think hockey players ought to feel privileged to be able to live in such a safe, fun, cultural city.

I currently live in Manhattan and the disparity just on the island is nothing short of outrageous.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This would be true using highest marginal tax rates however it can be offset using good tax planning . I read an article about this a while back and long story short your tax rate becomes a blended rate based on where you earn your money and where you declare residency. This is why you will find many athletes declaring residency in homes in low tax jurisdictions in the US because it allows them to file their taxes there . It's more complicated than this but there are legal ways to ease the tax pain.

Except that setting up and maintaining the types of structures and strategies to shield income, in and of themselves, are costly and are the first to be challenged by the tax man -- everyone tries to do indirectly what they can't do directly and eventually, but there is often a fine line between tax evasion and tax avoidance.

Hence, it's far better for a hockey player to get his 25% income tax discount up front, no questions asked, rather than engage into gymnastics in a jurisdiction with a huge tax bite.

Drive425

Jul 24, 2006
St Louis Du Haha

2012 Federal Income tax in Canada is 29% at the highest rate. Therefore Quebec is a lot higher.

Drive425

Jul 24, 2006
St Louis Du Haha
The biggest difference is with US cities, where the differential can reach 20-25%. And since the majority of NHL teams are in the US, other Canadian cities are not a viable reference.

That is exactly what I was illustrating. If you read the chain someone said that the income tax difference between California and Quebec are not very much.

Income tax is very different between Canada and the US and Quebec is the worst province for income tax.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
LOL you can get a full house with everything you want in Brossard for the price of an apartment in NYC, Boston or Toronto and have money left to buy a car.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
That is exactly what I was illustrating. If you read the chain someone said that the income tax difference between California and Quebec are not very much.

Income tax is very different between Canada and the US and Quebec is the worst province for income tax.

This is a bit old but ill post it anyway :

tumblr_mvlirqsrzw1shr61qo1_1280.gif

So a 4M player will earn 400 000 more in Florida than in MTL.

Guy Germaine

Jul 25, 2005
Montreal
In a couple of years this contract will be a bargain. Smart player, tough and one of the hardest,cleanest hitters in the league. I also believe he has a bit more to bring offensively if he was given regular PP time, seems to have a decent shot and does a good job of putting the puck on net.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
So, at the time in question, it was a 15% difference between absolute most and absolute least for a player at either the $2 million, $4 million, or $7 million/year marks. Or another way of looking at it, it's only 7.5% one way or the other from an "average" situation, or far less than $100K one way or the other for every million you make. We pay 15% out here in Nova Scotia just for sales tax...

Drive425

Jul 24, 2006
St Louis Du Haha
LOL you can get a full house with everything you want in Brossard for the price of an apartment in NYC, Boston or Toronto and have money left to buy a car.

Very true.

But how hard is it to sell that place in NY or Boston or Toronto when yo are done with it? How hard is it to sell in Brossard?

Drive425

Jul 24, 2006
St Louis Du Haha
So, at the time in question, it was a 15% difference between absolute most and absolute least for a player at either the $2 million, $4 million, or $7 million/year marks. Or another way of looking at it, it's only 7.5% one way or the other from an "average" situation, or far less than $100K one way or the other for every million you make. We pay 15% out here in Nova Scotia just for sales tax...

OK let's say you have the option to work for two different companies. You have no preference for either and they offer the same benefits and perks. But, you will make 7.5% more if you work for one of the company. Which would you choose?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Hope this contract works out better than the Desharnais, Briere, Moen Bergevin signed

I'm thinking it will work out like the Pacioretty, Prust, Price, Budaj signings. I especially like his philosophy of giving the kids a chance, like Gallagher and Galchenyuk, Bournival, this is all moves that have worked out for the HABS. How about the goalie coach hiring, the scouts they put in place, organizational standards, GM and coach making sports talk show appearances, I mean I can go on and on. EVERY GM will make mistakes, don't kid yourself. Emelin and Subban when it happens will b 2 more good signings to add to the list, I'll trade punches with you when it comes to his decision making, guarantee you I come up the winner....now go google all of Bergevin's mistakes, I'll b waiting for you:rant:

Lol

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Got a problem with that? Try Hong Kong, where the middle class is getting its guts squeezed out while 1% property class drink Champers all day and do **** all, as usual.

Montreal is healthy that way, and I will be coming back. **** cities like NY, London and HK. They suck for middle class.

Middle class is getting phased out everywhere.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
OK let's say you have the option to work for two different companies. You have no preference for either and they offer the same benefits and perks. But, you will make 7.5% more if you work for one of the company. Which would you choose?

Is one major factor living in Canada vs the US? 'Cause 10% wouldn't be enough to make me move even semi-permanently south of the border.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad