Embellishment: How to Rid it From the Game

MillerTime 86

So Long Tyler SeQuin
May 11, 2007
On a Rock
Last night when Seidenberg interfered with Crombreen and Crombreen took a dive, it got me thinking about the state of embellishments in the NHL, how they are penalized, and whether the league is acting seriously enough to deter players from flopping and rid these ridiculous antics from the game.

On the play I had in mind, Seids definitely interfered with Crombreen, but the dive ultimately went uncalled resulting in only an interference penalty to Seidenberg and a Lightning power play. Clearly an oversight on the referee's parts there, but it got me thinking about embellishments on a larger scale.

People have varying theories on how embellishments should be handled ... Some want just the embellishment called, negating the penalty that led to the embellishment. But to drop one penalty in favor of another isn't a good idea, IMO, because two wrongs don't make a right.

Some want both penalties called, which then cancel each other out. Not a very strong deterrent to prevent diving since the worst that will happen is being caught and getting a matching 2 minute minor which results in a 4-on-4 situation.

Sometimes (but rarely called this way) there is embellishment without any other penalty, in which case the embellishment itself leads to a powerplay for the other team.

To truly rid this from the game, the embellishment needs to carry a higher weight with the consequence being a power play for the other team regardless of any minor penalty which may have led to the embellishment. It's how to do this, without negating the other infraction (if applicable), where the NHL seems to be stuck in the mud on this issue right now.

My suggestion is to make embellishments an automatic double-minor. That way, if there is another minor penalty like last night when Seidenberg interfered with Crombreen, the embellishment (if called correctly) still would have led to a 2-minute power play for Boston. And in the rare event that it's called on it's own, it stings that much more for the diver's team being down for 4 minutes instead of 2. It needs to carry a higher punishment than it does now to truly be addressed. Only then, when the entire team is put at a disadvantage because of it, will players think twice about flopping IMO.

A dive should carry more weight as it's not only an infraction, but also works to mock the officials and taint the image of the entire league

Curious to hear others' takes on this, but an embellishment-free NHL would certainly make the game better and preserve it's integrity. This isn't soccer. Yet.

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
Embellishment is one of the reasons why I am not getting Center Ice this year. It drives me nuts and the fact that the NHL appears to ignore it's existence allows it to spread.

I think they need an eye in the sky calling a misconduct or a combination penalty and misconduct. When embellishment occurs, it is very hard to call accurately on the ice. Something needs to be done to curtail this blatant lack of respect players have for their own sport.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I think they should assign a sub-committee under Shanahan's group made up of retired referees. That group should review any suspect plays on video tape and then each week publish a listing of all players - that, had video review been in place during the game - would have been assigned a two minute minor for embellishment.

If someone routinely ends up on that list, then their reputation will cause refs to either swallow the whistle or, perhaps unfairly, penalize that player more harshly than others. Maybe not exactly fair, but that will lead to peer pressure from his own teammates to knock off the flopping.

I love watching soccer but the NHL runs the risk of going in that direction. For the record, I think that any player in soccer that rolls on the ground and stays down for a period of time only to then pop up uninjured should be taken off the field for 5 minutes with no substitution allowed. I realize that may penalize some players who legitimately got stung or roughed up, but I'm afraid the posers are ruining it for everyone.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Somebody in the GDT had a good idea. Assess a 4 min minor for flopping that way refs still ***** the initial penalty but the diver gets penalized. Teams will play 4 on 4 for two minutes then the non diving team gets a PP.

Also I think some stuff gets labeled as a dive or embellishment that isn't and some embellishment doesn't bother me that much (jerking your head back from a stick in the face is a natural reaction)-it isn't always embellishment, and sometimes players to down easy because they are already off balance-I think it was last season Seguin was called for a dive but he had actually lost his edge and so between the contact (seems like it was a hook) and the edge he wasn't staying on his skates.

I also wish their was some way for refs to ref games without hearing the crowds. I think the crowd in some places can make refs quick to call penalties.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Assess 4 minute double minor. Also a $10k fine. Doubled every infraction thereafter.
If you accumulate 3 in a season you also wear a pink helmet next 25 games.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Assess 4 minute double minor. Also a $10k fine. Doubled every infraction thereafter.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Pink doesn't look too good with red and blue Whatever would the Habs do ? :laugh:

mattbnh

Apr 26, 2004
New Hampster

Between breast cancer and equal rights, I am thinking pink anything isn't going to go over well.

I would like to see post-game video review and fines for dives, dangerous hits, and other sneaky *****. Suspensions if warranted. Regardless of what the refs call, given that video clips = world wide embarrassment for the NHL when bad things go unpunished, then punish them. $10k sounds a little steep, but so be it. That would put some of Kaleta and Torres' stunts at say $500k - they might think twice if risking 50% of their salary.

NHLPA would never go for those level of fines though. Isn't the top end about $5k now, anything more is the result of suspension, right?

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I like the double minor idea, but we all know that it would just lead to even less dives being called.

The easiest way to do it is to have a group of officials each night, or week, review a bunch of plays and have the league issue fines. Start small for the first 1, but after that it's gotta be serious. The NBA has the right idea but the enforcement is terrible and from what I recall, it takes far too many offenses to make it truly hurt.

DaveFromNB

Sep 6, 2008
Quispamsis, NB
Remove the instigator penalty so the opposing team could beat the snot out of the clown. It was a mistake getting away from players enforcing stupid behavior.

And yes some Bruins do it, they're clowns when they do it, and when they do it they deserve the snot beat out of them.

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
I don't know if you can get rid of embellishment. The game is so fast and plays can be so close that it would be extremely difficult to call embellishment, especially as a double minor. The only thing I can think of is fining players. Hit them where it hurts; in the wallet. If the guilty player is a repeat offender you can start getting into suspensions.

wetcamelfood

Aug 19, 2007
The ones that dive are the fringe NHL players and conveniently they dive next to an all start player so they don't mind getting called for a dive because they're still getting what they want which is getting the all star off the ice and the diver's team won't miss their diver very much if called. So this tells me matching penalties don't work. At least just the dive if not also SEVERE fines (hundreds of thousands, especially since most divers don't make more than 900K anyway so they will make them think twice). I know this would never get passed the NHLPA though.

Zestfule

Jun 30, 2008
NH
Honestly, I think diving is too hard to call during the play, we always have plenty of replays to ponder over and scream dive the refs have to make a split second decision. I think the refs should report cases where they weren't sure and have BS look into each one and access heavy fines whenever it happens and if a player gets 3 or something they get suspended a game, eventually the players will catch on. It might be a slower solution but I think this would be the safest way to go about it.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA

great ideas, I have been asking for the 4 minute double minor for years now but I like the add on as well that you have

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Honestly, I think diving is too hard to call during the play, we always have plenty of replays to ponder over and scream dive the refs have to make a split second decision. I think the refs should report cases where they weren't sure and have BS look into each one and access heavy fines whenever it happens and if a player gets 3 or something they get suspended a game, eventually the players will catch on. It might be a slower solution but I think this would be the safest way to go about it.
Totally agree.

For starters though they need to want to get it out of the game. I'm not convinced the league thinks its a problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad