Embarrassment of riches at the goalie position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hagsfan924

Sep 1, 2011
I honestly can see Talbot getting moved over the summer while his value is at its highest. He is signed for another year, but after that we're going to lose him so he can get a starter gig. Teams like Edmonton, toronto, Dallas, phoenix, and buffalo could all use Talbot and we can probably get some decent young talent in return. It's not like Talbot is having a quietly good season like say last year. He is winning and giving the Rangers a strong chance at finishing 1st this season. The league is recognizing this. We can have Skapski go into next year as backup or compete with Halverson and shestyorkin and maybe a cheap veteran?
If we can trade Talbot for someone young and cheap who can slot in St. Louis' second line winger spot either next year or the year after, I think you have to make that deal.

Weird proposal...would you do a deal built around Talbot and Klein for Taylor Hall + Edmonton retaining salary?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Weird proposal...would you do a deal built around Talbot and Klein for Taylor Hall + Edmonton retaining salary?

Unless they are retaining 50%, we can't afford him, and there's no way Edmonton would do that deal. We'd have to add significant assets.

hagsfan924

Sep 1, 2011
Unless they are retaining 50%, we can't afford him, and there's no way Edmonton would do that deal. We'd have to add significant assets.

I'm not so sure they wouldn't do the deal. They finish at the bottom of the league regularly thanks to weak goaltending and defense. We'd be trading them a solid defenseman and goaltender in the deal. Hall might be more talented, but Talbot and Klein could be of more value to Edmonton. Face it, they aren't winning with Hall. I'm not sure if we'd need Edmonton to retain half the salary. Maybe enough to lower Halls cap hit to 4.25 mil. So retaining 1.75 mil. Klein makes nearly 3 mil, and Talbot will be at 1.45 next year. If we go with Skapski, we'd be looking at around 1 million higher cap hit with Hall and Skapski compared to Talbot and Klein. I was just tossing one scenario out there. I think it's more likely we go after someone cheaper and younger than Hall in a trade for Talbot.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I don't know - it's hard to tell Skapski only have two NHL matches even though he played great last match.
Cam have some weaknesses for sure - I hope the flames don't exploit them
this night. But I agree the goalie position looks very promising.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I'm not so sure they wouldn't do the deal.

I am. Yes, they need defense and goaltending, but Hall is 23 and has 255 points in 288 career games. Talbot is soon to be 28. He has 1 year left on his contract and then he will be UFA. Is he re-signing in Edmonton? Klein is 30 and has 3 years left. He's at best a 2nd pair dman. Hall is a 1st line player. There is no way in hell they do that deal. None.

If they are trading Hall, they would be asking for McDonagh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA