Embarrassment of riches at the goalie position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky Valley

Mar 8, 2007
NBNJ
I mean, I'll hold off til Skaps makes his NHL debut, but point taken. Much better than when the assumption was we had absolutely nothing beyond Hank.

mti79

May 11, 2007
We know hank is a beast. Cam has been solid the last 2 years. But Skaps has played 2 games, both against buffalo. Let's not put the cart before the horse. Also, holding judgment on Halverson and Shestyorkin until I see more of them.

jacko23

Powerplay Merchant
Jul 8, 2007
Lehigh Valley, PA
ive seen it all over these boards... people are thinking way too highly of our goaltender depth.

yes, Talbot has been playing great during this stretch, but its not even close to half a season. what if he hits a rough patch? how will he respond? the rest of his team is playing well in front of him. lets be happy for that and not put any expectations on the kid yet.

Skapski has only played 2 games. this game he looked good, but the only team he faced IN HIS CAREER was this bottom feeding Sabres team that has the center depth of a puddle after a rain storm...

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
ive seen it all over these boards... people are thinking way too highly of our goaltender depth.

yes, Talbot has been playing great during this stretch, but its not even close to half a season. what if he hits a rough patch? how will he respond? the rest of his team is playing well in front of him. lets be happy for that and not put any expectations on the kid yet.

Skapski has only played 2 games. this game he looked good, but the only team he faced IN HIS CAREER was this bottom feeding Sabres team that has the center depth of a puddle after a rain storm...

Talbot was a beast last year as well.

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
Skapski has played two games against the worst team in the league with the best defense in the league in front of him.

I don't think we should be making any assumptions just yet.

This Rangers team could make Pavalec look like a superstar.

jacko23

Powerplay Merchant
Jul 8, 2007
Lehigh Valley, PA
Talbot was a beast last year as well.

true. you are absolutely right. thanks for keeping me in check. what i was getting at was that he has been playing well with a limited workload. He is a professional, so im sure he can handle an incereased load, but once Hank gets back, we have a good 1-2 for the foreseeable future. lets be happy with that while it lasts.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Skapski has played two games against the worst team in the league with the best defense in the league in front of him.

At this point Marty "Five hole" Biron would have been considered "elite" playing behind this team :laugh:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Even as a prospect, Skapski is still extremely promising. I watched him a lot during his time in the WHL and if you remember, I was really high on him. I think one of our prospect polls, I was voting for him like 6 rounds earlier than anyone else. :laugh: So, you have that, and his very good performance in his partial season with Hartford, and he looks like he has a bright future.

It's definitely too early to pencil him in as a sure-fire NHL goaltender, but the kid has talent. If he can continue to work on staying focused for a full 60, he'll be a good one.

The Mouth

Blueshirt Underground on You Tube
May 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
I find it ironic that now the defense is being lauded after reading countless posts all year by fans on how poorly Girardi, McDonagh, Staal (especially early season) and Boyle were/are playing.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I find it ironic that now the defense is being lauded after reading countless posts all year by fans on how poorly Girardi, McDonagh, Staal (especially early season) and Boyle were/are playing.

What's the irony? They were struggling for various periods throughout the year but are playing extremely well now. There's nothing "ironic" about that.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Hmmm....interesting. Did not I read on theses very boards that the Rangers were very shallow at net minder?

I remember how people were laughing that we drafted a kid named Mackenzie Skapski....I admit so was I. But if Benny says draft him, at this point you would be crazy to argue with Allair.

JC704

Jan 6, 2012
Can the Oilers borrow one? ;)

pretty plz

Best reply in the thread.

P.S. A big part of a goalie's development is playing with the team in front of him. For example: look at Devan Dubnyk (only because the Oilers fan responded in the thread). For 5+ years, Dubnyk had "potential" but looked like **** half the time and looked like a solid starter for the other half. If you take the average of the two, you get an average to below-average goalie, which he essentially was. I'd argue that this Minnesota Wild team as currently constructed is the best "team" that he's ever been on. Because of that, he's playing more confidently and he's finally starting to realize the potential Oilers fans saw in him WAY long ago.

Over the last 10 years, the Rangers have been one of the 5-10 best organizations at developing players. They can afford to try and find players -- we've seen it with goalies -- later in the draft or through other means (signing Talbot as an undrafted free agent) and devote higher picks and FA to prioritize other positions. On any other team, Talbot's potential may have flamed out, but here, he's realized untapped potential he never even knew he had. Another important factor about playing in a good environment: it makes a player develop good habits (massively underrated in a professional environment).

OT: As much as Tortorella had a shelf life here, he put this team back on the map by coaching UP players with his style of blocking shots, fighting for pucks etc. Lundqvist/Girardi/Staal/Callahan/Stepan/McDonagh were the beneficiaries. Even though Callahan isn't here anymore, the other five remain, and it's no coincidence that one wears the "C" and the others wear the "A" on any given night.

The Rangers goalies (Talbot) playing as well as they have essentially has to do with the organization putting these young players in a position to succeed right off the bat. Skapski is probably a marginal talent at the moment, but defeating a depleted Buffalo Sabres team twice, well, those two starts will do the WORLD for his confidence. The game is really half-mental. It's a big reason why a player like Del Zotto didn't work here and will eventually work somewhere else.

If the organization continues to impress from tom to bottom on a Red Wings type of level, I don't see any reason why we can't think of the moon for our prospects -- especially our goalie prospects who are being coached by some of the best goalie coaches in the world and playing in an organization that houses the best goalie in the world.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I mean, I'll hold off til Skaps makes his NHL debut, but point taken. Much better than when the assumption was we had absolutely nothing beyond Hank.

People need to chill with "make his NHL debut", you do realize we needed a 3rd period goal to avoid OT, right? The game before we beat them 3-1. They're not a good team, but we could have easily lost this game in a shootout or something.

Sky Valley

Mar 8, 2007
NBNJ
People need to chill with "make his NHL debut", you do realize we needed a 3rd period goal to avoid OT, right? The game before we beat them 3-1. They're not a good team, but we could have easily lost this game in a shootout or something.
It's a joke, turn down. Can't take anything away from the kid, it's a great accomplishment, especially at his age. But the talent difference between the sides is undeniable and I do think there's no reason to be playing Staps against other teams right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad