Elphy101's attempt at a mock draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

elphy101

Nov 8, 2002
City of Champions
Visit site
Well here's my effort. Thoughts, comments would be appreciated.

1. Alexander Ovechkin(was): Washington's future superstar. He won't be dealt, he will be the #1.

2. Evgeni Malkin(pit) A future star for big skilled center perfect for Pittsburgh's rebuilding if they can afford to get him out of Russia.

3. Lauri Tukonen(chi): Chicago is gonna follow an old trend despite Smith being gone and pick a highly skilled european forward. I think Tukonen is the obvious choice because of Olesz concussions. Great finish connection in the future between Tukonen and Ruutu.

4. Cam Barker (CBJ) Columbus is extatic to take Barker, they didn't think he would last. Columbus is pretty good at forward and in net(leclaire, denis), they need defense especially with Klesha's failure to develop in the last while.

5. Andrew Ladd (Pho) Phoenix takes Hitmen forward Ladd. He just fits perfectly what Gretzky is trying to build in Calgary.

6. A.J Thelen (Nyr) New York Rangers need a young defensemen of the future, a Leetch replacement. Thelen gives me reminders of Leetch. I think the Rangers will take him even with Olesz still on the board.

7. Drew Stafford (Fla) Keenan's first draft with Florida, he leaves his mark by again going for canadian character and grit drafting a potential young Ryan Smyth.

8. Rotislav Olesz (Car) Carolina came in expecting to take a defensemen but with Olesz still on the board. He's too hard to pass up despite already having a couple of great young centers in Staal and Vasicek. Health concerns (concussion problems) are the main reason Olesz falls so far.

9. Alexander Radulov(Ana) Anaheim just can't pass on the chance to take the highly offensive prospect from Russia. He has top 5 skills just not the attitude.

10. Robbbie Schremp (Atl) Despite the need for a quality defender, Waddell can't pass on the chance of having a line of Kovalchuk Schremp Heatley. He may even find a way to trade up for Olesz instead.

11. Marek Schwarz (LA) Los Angeles actually wasn't expecting to take a goalie but with the players they targeted off the board and Schwarz still on the board, they can't pass on Schwarz.

12. Alvaro Montoya (Min) Alvaro Montoya, Minnesota decides to take their goalie of the future with Montoya.

13. Andrej Meszaros (Buf) Buffalo decides to add another quality defender to their team. As they are looking for a pp qb to play with Kalinin.

14. Alexander Picard (edm) Edmonton decides to take the talented forward from quebec. Although they wanted a center, they settle on skilled forward A. Picard instead.

15. Wojtek Wolski (nas) Nashville has enough grit now, they need offense. Wolski can downright shoot the puck. A bonafide sniper. Hartnell, Tootoo and several other provide enough tougness for the predators.

16. Boris Valabik (Nyi) New York is gonna need a bunch of new defensemen in the upcoming future, Valabik would be the perfect physical presence for this team. Is he the next Chara?

17. Lauri Korpikoski (Stl) St. Louis needs some young top 2 line forwards. Korpikoski definitely fits the bill. Could be the steal of the draft.

18. Kyle Chipchura (Mtl) Montreal needs some grit, size and leadership. That is Kyle Chipchura, I think Chipchura has the chance of being a big time steal. I think he will break out offensively next year in the WHL.

19. Petteri Nokelainin (cal) Calgary looking to add another top 2 line forward drafts the last remaining member of the most dominant line at the unders 18's.

20. Ladislav Smid (Dal) Smid falls a ways in the draft, Dallas happily scoops him up. With Zubov aging, Smid would be a good replacement as he is an excellent two way defensemen that might become a solid pp quaterback as well.

21 Mike Green (Col) A great defensemen that the Avanlanche need to add because their defense is really aging and in need of an influx of youth.

22. Wes O'neill (NJ) The run on defensemen is on, and New Jersey keeps it going with the draft of O'neill. Despite Hale and Martin, New Jersey will still need more defensemen especially those on the physical side of things.

23. Travis Zajac (Ott) Ottawa goes off the charts and selects quick rising Travis Zajac in the hopes that he is truly underrated because he played against such inferior competition this year.

24. Dave Bolland(NYR) With the run on defensemen limiting their options, Sather goes for offense and takes London Knights star Dave Bolland.

25. Adam Pineault (Edm) Edmonton pulls of a shocker selecting Adam Pineault who had a horrible year buried at the bottom of an excellent Boston College team. He has superstar forward potential imo however he's a huge gamble just like Lowe loves to take. He could very easily be a bust.

26. Devan Dubnyk (Van) Nonis decides it's time to draft potential franchise goalie. With Dubnyk falling alot further then expected, Nonis can't bring himself to pass on him.

27. Roman Voloshenko (was) Voloshenko has great skills, it's just his skating is very questionable. Washington decides to take a chance on him. Could a pretty good steal with some power skating lessons.

28. Enver Lisin (SJ) San Jose decides to add speed demon Enver Lisin. Hopefully his offensive skills can develop enough to match his speed.

29. Johan Fransson (was) Washington adds another quality defender to their prospect pool. He played well in the swedish elite league and is probably pretty close to the NHL, which is a definite benefit for Washington's defense corps.

30 Cory Schneider (TB) Tampa can't help but add a future #1 goalie in Schneider, Feaster is thrilled that he's still there at 30.

Last edited:

Slangston

Buffalo Sabres
Apr 3, 2003
Western New York
13. Ladislav Smid (Buf)

I'm starting to see a trend here. 90 percent of the posters that have conducted a mock draft have the Sabres taking this guy.

elphy101

Nov 8, 2002
City of Champions
Visit site
Just me being an idiot. I couldn't decide between Meszaros and Montoya for minny. I ended up choosing montoya but forgot to change the writeup. Meszaros went to buffalo at 13. I had Smid going to Dallas at 20. Just forgot to switch meszaros with Smid at 13.

(originally I ad it Meszaros at 12, then Smid at 13 but decided Minny would probably take Montoya if he was on the board.

thestonedkoala

Wellllll they already have a goalie of the future in Harding. They'll probably take another one in the 2nd unless someone like Wheeler drops or another good forward drops. I agree with Vlad that it's hard to judge a goaltender because of years of practicing...

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Not that I wouldn't be happy with Thelen, but, I believe the Rangers are very unlikely to pass on Olesz. If Olesz and Ladd are both gone, and the Rangers haven't traded up, then Thelen could very well be the pick.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
elphy101 said:
Well here's my effort. Thoughts, comments would be appreciated.

9. Alexander Radulov(Ana) Anaheim just can't pass on the chance to take the highly offensive prospect from Russia. He has top 5 skills just not the attitude.

I can't see that happening. Our need is Defense. We don't want another Russian forward to work with (Chistov, Smirnov).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad