Ellis and Hackett recalled (Hackett Assigned, 2/4)

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
1/26/15: Sabres Recall Ellis and Hackett from Amerks

SABRES RECALL FORWARD ELLIS
The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has recalled forward Matt Ellis from the Rochester Americans of the American Hockey League (AHL).

SABRES RECALL GOALTENDER HACKETT FROM ROCHESTER
The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has recalled goaltender Matt Hackett from the Rochester Americans of the American Hockey League (AHL) to replace injured goaltender Michal Neuvirth.

Bps21*

He can't stay healthy. A complaint by Cap fans the time he was there. I worry about Murray's judgement in acquiring him.

You worry about the judgement of acquiring a stop gap on a 1 year deal in a year he's trying to finish last?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Honestly I think I'd rule out re-signing Neuvirth based on how frequently he's dinged up.

You worry about the judgement of acquiring a stop gap on a 1 year deal in a year he's trying to finish last?

Why would you assume he was viewed solely as a stopgap?

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
He can't stay healthy. A complaint by Cap fans the time he was there. I worry about Murray's judgement in acquiring him.

Could have signed Dubnyk for that and kept the draft pick.

Eh, it was a pretty low risk move that had the potential for a decent payoff, and provided some security at the goalie position for this year. So it didn't work out? No valuable asset was lost and it's not like Dubnyk, who'd been waived, was an obviously better option. No one hits on every move.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Honestly I think I'd rule out re-signing Neuvirth based on how frequently he's dinged up.

Why would you assume he was viewed solely as a stopgap?

I think Murray figured "hey we've got lots of picks already, let's roll the dice on a few guys because really, what do we have to lose?" Neuvirth was a low-risk, high-reward move. He pans out and becomes the starter for the foreseeable future. He doesn't and it's no big deal, you just move on. It was a calculated risk and it hasn't panned out, which was always a real possibility.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
He was acquired because Washington was likely the only suitor for Halak and so Murray took a flyer on him ... he'd either pan out or he wouldn't .. nothing really to lose sleep over.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Can't blame Murray for this at all. He took a risk on a potentially high reward move. A lot of the move was also acquiring Klesla who likely would have pushed Rochester past the 1st round. At least Murray goes out and gets something he wants unlike our last GM.

I was leaning towards resigning Neuvirth of the two goalies because he's better IMO but he's just injured way too often. The guy is made of glass and if he's not physically injured he's missing time due to migraines and tummy aches.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
He was acquired because Washington was likely the only suitor for Halak and so Murray took a flyer on him ... he'd either pan out or he wouldn't .. nothing really to lose sleep over.

Them possibly being the only suitor for Halak wouldn't force his hand to give up assets to acquire Neuvirth. He acquired Neuvirth because he wanted to acquire Neuvirth.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Them possibly being the only suitor for Halak wouldn't force his hand to give up assets to acquire Neuvirth. He acquired Neuvirth because he wanted to acquire Neuvirth.

And Washington needed to rid themselves of a goalie and we needed one. :dunno:

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

You say that with certainty like you were in the room. Washington could of forced Murray to take him in a trade. Not to mention the injuries Buffalo was facing in net last year. More then just "wanted" plays a role in the decision. Might not had a choice.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
You say that with certainty like you were in the room. Washington could of forced Murray to take him in a trade. Not to mention the injuries Buffalo was facing in net last year. More then just "wanted" plays a role in the decision. Might not had a choice.

We were all in the room since the discussion about acquiring Neuvirth was in the behind the trade deadline video they sent out. Murray clearly wanted to acquire Neuvirth and wasn't forced into anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOWqjz_B-OA

Around the 4min mark

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad