Sportsnet Elliotte Friedman's " 32 Thoughts " ( June 2 - 2022 )

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I wouldn't want to see Caufield with Larkin as that would be an outrageously fast line.
He’s No Gudreau- speed can take you only so far

I think he’s a bust unless he learns to play closer to the net

He’s fast and got really good hands

he’s not creative from what I’ve seen and is tiny

I will take 5th round overager Connor Garland over Caufield - I know what Garland is I’m not sold on Caufield

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
He mentions Zadina from Detroit needing a second chance. Wasn't he the kid who said he'd make Montreal regret not drafting him? So far that doesn't seem to be working out lol
Zadina is kind of like Chytil with the Rangers in that he’s real intriguing to me despite not having the stats to back it up. Both 22, but Zadina is a way cheaper cap hit.

Worth rolling the dice on. But I don’t know what either team would want in return (I assume if they were moving on, they’d become pieces in a trade up package) but I get the feeling the Bruins aren’t necessarily the best trade partners in either case.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Which one of these Ducks will be a Bruin come playoff time ??
18. The Ducks are 2-1 and could be a huge power broker as this season develops. Ryan Getzlaf, Hampus Lindholm, Josh Manson and Rickard Rakell all unrestricted. No sense extensions are close in any case. All good players who could help a team.

My guess Lindholm or Manson.

I would like Getzlaf as a rental. 2nd line would be a wagon

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
He’s No Gudreau- speed can take you only so far

I think he’s a bust unless he learns to play closer to the net

He’s fast and got really good hands

he’s not creative from what I’ve seen and is tiny

I will take 5th round overager Connor Garland over Caufield - I know what Garland is I’m not sold on Caufield

Yeah he could bust no doubt and 5\5 is never going to be even a slightly below average part of his game. His hands, speed and playing with Larkin, Bertuzzi, Raymond aǹd Seider on a PP might get the max out of him. If he gets a high end center he will at the least score on the PP.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Monahan is not living up to his contract this season. One more year left on his deal

I wonder if he would be available

Debrusk + Studnicka + 3rd

Would that be enough?

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I'd see if Pittsburgh wants to give up Kapanen for DeBrusk. Has good numbers the past year + and seems like the type that could make a jump in scoring playing with Hall

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I'd see if Pittsburgh wants to give up Kapanen for DeBrusk. Has good numbers the past year + and seems like the type that could make a jump in scoring playing with Hall

I’d keep Pastrnak with Hall and Haula. I’d slide Smith to L3 and put Kapanen with Bergeron/Marchand. I’ve always liked Kapanen.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
This week there's a bit of stuff about Marchand and Rask.

26. Loved dealing with Tuukka Rask over the years. It may not have mattered in the long run, but he was robbed by the lost AHL starts this year due to COVID. That really disrupted his opportunity. Favourite memory: when Boston eliminated Buffalo in the 2010 Stanley Cup playoffs, I asked Rask post-game if it meant anything more to him that he outduelled Ryan Miller -- then at the height of his powers. He gave the standard cliche answer. One teammate overhead and rolled his eyes. “Of course you did,” he laughed.

Full column: 32 Thoughts: Teetering on the abyss, Oilers turn to another new coach

Reactions: Gee Wally

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
A bit of Bruins stuff this week:

29. Busy couple of days for the NHL and NHLPA. Brad Marchand appeal on Wednesday, World Cup meeting on Thursday. Marchand’s first appeal is with Commissioner Gary Bettman. If he doesn’t like that result, he can go to an independent arbitrator. Bettman has decreased suspensions on three occasions: Jason Spezza from six to four earlier this season; Raffi Torres from 25 to 21 in 2012; and Daniel Carcillo from 10 to six in 2014. He also has the right, if he so chooses, to increase a suspension, but I can’t find an example of him doing that. There were rumours he would have done so with Matt Cooke’s 2014 playoffs kneeing suspension, but the winger did not appeal.

Full column: 32 Thoughts: Sizing up the NHL market after Tyler Toffoli trade

Reactions: Gee Wally

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Monahan is not living up to his contract this season. One more year left on his deal

I wonder if he would be available

Debrusk + Studnicka + 3rd

Would that be enough?

If they take foligno back in the deal I’d do it. Doubt they’d accept that deal though.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Under-the-radar name to keep an eye on: Noel Acciari. Acciari was hurt in the preseason, had surgery, went on a conditioning stint, got healthy but has only played twice in a deep Florida lineup. Final year of his contract, $1.667 million AAV, 45 games of playoff experience. People like centres.

Hmmm

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
not sure why the Pens need Jake, one thing Kapanen does that Jake runs totally hot and cold on is his (Kapenen) doesn`t take shifts off, doesn`t mean he`s the perfect player but I`m not sure how Sullivan would like the MIA Jake. The Debrusk we`ve been watching for a few weeks now he`d have 0 issues with, who would? Sullivan can be a bit of a hard ass, not sure he`d be a Jake fan

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Nothing new this week but the Bruins were mentioned as being interested in Andrew Copp.

9. Winnipeg wanted to see itself once Nik Ehlers returned. That started with an overtime defeat to Dallas, a loss to the Rangers and an impressive win over Tampa Bay. I think the Jets’ biggest decisions come this summer. I wondered if there was any chance they tried to pivot and extend Andrew Copp, but can’t find any evidence of that possibility. Boston and Colorado are believed to be among interested parties.

Full column: 32 Thoughts: Taking a look around the NHL trade market - Sportsnet.ca

Reactions: Gordoff

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Nothing new this week but the Bruins were mentioned as being interested in Andrew Copp.

9. Winnipeg wanted to see itself once Nik Ehlers returned. That started with an overtime defeat to Dallas, a loss to the Rangers and an impressive win over Tampa Bay. I think the Jets’ biggest decisions come this summer. I wondered if there was any chance they tried to pivot and extend Andrew Copp, but can’t find any evidence of that possibility. Boston and Colorado are believed to be among interested parties.

Full column: 32 Thoughts: Taking a look around the NHL trade market - Sportsnet.ca

I mentioned him somewhere along the way. I can see this happening.

Andrew Copp Bio
Agility and quick feet are excellent assets for a hockey player. Nature and nurture helped Copp acquire a healthy helping of both.
The son of a figure skating coach mom and a hockey coach dad, the Ann Arbor, Michigan, native got a little push from geography as well, growing up with the U.S. National Team Development Program right in his backyard.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Probably not.

13. One GM’s theory: “We all stare at each other until one hour before the deadline, and then rush to make deals. The B- and C-level players go when we figure out who is getting the A-listers.” I hope he’s joking.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Bruins mentioned a few times in his trade deadline column:

3. Still in the market for a left-shot defender: Boston, Carolina, Los Angeles, Rangers, St. Louis and Toronto.

16. The Bruins have not forgotten how injuries on defence damaged their chances of beating the Islanders in the playoffs last year. It’s a priority.

19. Someone who might be on Washington’s radar: Columbus' Max Domi. (Marek added Boston and Colorado could be also, which fits, too.)

Full column: www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/32-thoughts-trade-deadline-fallout-coming-fast-and-furious/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad