Sportsnet Elliotte Friedman's " 32 Thoughts " ( June 2 - 2022 )

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
A look at the trade deadline:

12. I do think Calgary took a looooooooooong look at Hampus Lindholm, but couldn’t do what Boston did. Sean Monahan would have had to be part of it, as the Flames needed to move money to make it work.

Full column: www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/32-thoughts-evgenii-dadonov-and-trade-deadline-fallout/

thanks.
Once the Yotes put that crazy price tag on Chychrun, many teams were in, they all bailed.
Focus became on Lindholm. The only car in the showroom. Im glad Bruins stuck with it. Also glad Lindholm chose Boston.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Man Kucherov is really a tool. I wish Looch, McQuaid, Chara et. al., were still around to knock him around.

24giovanni

Aug 2, 2005

Jets, Flyers and Ducks to Make Big Changes​

Elliotte Friedman mentioned that the Winnipeg Jets, Anaheim Ducks, and Philadelphia Flyers might be three teams to watch moving forward because there are some real questions about what they’ll do with some of their key players.

Suggesting these teams could go through rebuilds or major retools, John Gibson could leave the Ducks, the Jets could move Mark Schiefele, Pierre Luc-Dubois, and even Connor Hellebuyck could go. The Flyers will have to decide on Travis Konecny, Ivan Provorov, and Travis Sanheim.

If there is any truth to this the B's need to go after PLD.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
Man Kucherov is really a tool. I wish Looch, McQuaid, Chara et. al., were still around to knock him around.
I agree. Last year he went from too injured to play in the regular season, to trying to end other players' seasons with cheap shots away from the play. I wish someone would pound him the way Neely pounded Lindsey Ruff.

Reactions: sarge88

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA

Jets, Flyers and Ducks to Make Big Changes​

Elliotte Friedman mentioned that the Winnipeg Jets, Anaheim Ducks, and Philadelphia Flyers might be three teams to watch moving forward because there are some real questions about what they’ll do with some of their key players.

Suggesting these teams could go through rebuilds or major retools, John Gibson could leave the Ducks, the Jets could move Mark Schiefele, Pierre Luc-Dubois, and even Connor Hellebuyck could go. The Flyers will have to decide on Travis Konecny, Ivan Provorov, and Travis Sanheim.

If there is any truth to this the B's need to go after PLD.
Jets would be nuts to move on PLD. I can see them moving on from Hellebuyck and Scheif. Can't see them moving on from Dubois unless they think they can't resign him.

Reactions: sarge88

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
thanks.
Once the Yotes put that crazy price tag on Chychrun, many teams were in, they all bailed.
Focus became on Lindholm. The only car in the showroom. Im glad Bruins stuck with it. Also glad Lindholm chose Boston.
big reason im glad Sweeny had the nuts this year to close on Lindholm and circle back on rakell. He usually is caught with his pants down

Reactions: HustleB

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I thought his March 31st column was the last one for this season but another one has been posted and actually starts out with some Bruins stuff:

1. So, who from that phenomenal 2003 draft class will be the last man standing? Brent Burns and Ryan Suter have three years remaining on their contracts. Corey Perry has another season. Jeff Carter just extended two years, Zach Parise and Joe Pavelski for one. Pavelski has indicated he’s a year-by-year guy now, which is probably the same for Patrice Bergeron.

2. If you did a 2003 redraft, who goes first? Not easy, but I’d take Bergeron.

Full column: www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/32-thoughts-who-will-be-the-last-player-from-the-2003-nhl-draft/

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Without concussions maybe Bergeron is pushing 500 goals instead of 400. Scored 31 in his second year. Including some absolute beauties (give and go w/Boyes against MTL is one I remember fondly)

Reactions: bbfan419

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Just saw that Friedman had another " 32 Thoughts " column a couple of weeks ago on the Sportsnet site. He actually managed to mention the Bruins in between all the Leafs stuff:

25. Whether or not Patrice Bergeron returns next season, the Bruins will invest in offence. As part of that, they’ve made it very clear they’d like Jake DeBrusk to be in their future. “I was proud of the way he played,” Bruins head coach Bruce Cassidy said. (The organization made a point of telling him that in person, too.) The forward has not rescinded his trade request — and will take time to think about it — but DeBrusk handled himself extremely well. Sometimes a relationship needs to hit rock bottom before it can improve, and at least one teammate felt DeBrusk saying what was on his mind emotionally freed him to play his best. Another thing that helps: his contract is in place for the next two seasons, so there’s no need for a negotiation.

Full column: www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/32-thoughts-maple-leafs-fallout-and-off-season-questions-around-the-league/

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Do you know how many teams in the NHL would love to have the bruins right side defense, when healthy arguably there's none better. Depth is a question if one go's down, but this right side has two all-star defenseman when healthy, and Clifton is perfect 5 - 6.

The left side is where they could use a horse, a few years back, I wanted McDonaugh, imagine this team with him, I bet there would be another cup banner in the rafters. Grizz and Reilly are top 4 NHL defenseman but come playoff time I don't want to see either of the being in my top pairing and on the ice protecting a one goal lead late in the game. Lindolhm would be ideal, really wanted Ekholm but he's re-signed.
Clifton is the perfect 5-6? Why don’t the bruins feel that way then? Before lindholms injury Clifton and Reilly were having a battle who could be the one to avoid being health scratched.

Two seasons ago he got beat out at the start of the regular season by kevan Miller for the 3rd pairing RHD after kevan Miller hadn’t played in almost two seasons. Then again he didn’t even get the start in the playoffs that year until Carlo went down.

Idk how you can slot him as the “perfect” 5-6 when he has yet to go a full season without at some point relinquishing his role to someone else at some point and the only reason he got it back was due to injury.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Clifton is the perfect 5-6? Why don’t the bruins feel that way then? Before lindholms injury Clifton and Reilly were having a battle who could be the one to avoid being health scratched.

Two seasons ago he got beat out at the start of the regular season by kevan Miller for the 3rd pairing RHD after kevan Miller hadn’t played in almost two seasons. Then again he didn’t even get the start in the playoffs that year until Carlo went down.

Idk how you can slot him as the “perfect” 5-6 when he has yet to go a full season without at some point relinquishing his role to someone else at some point and the only reason he got it back was due to injury.
You went way back in the archives to find that post. Lol
Cliffy always seems to step it up in the playoffs. Ill take him every time in a salary cap world as my third pair heading into the playoffs.

Reactions: Jean_Jacket41

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad