Rumor: Elliotte Friedman - Bruins might be playing in China next year

Would you consider traveling to China to see the Bruins play 2 games?

• Yes 是

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • No 没有

Votes: 42 89.4%
  • Maybe 也许

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Elliotte Friedman writes that he believes the Bruins are in the mix to play a couple of regular season games in China next year.

The Bruins make sense for China because they’ve had players make summer trips to that country for a few years. You could send the Capitals almost anywhere. So there are a few puzzle pieces, but to those of us on the outside, the picture isn’t yet clear.

That would be an interesting roadtrip and given the time the Bruins have spent China the past 2 years and their marketing deals with two Chinese companies there might be something to this.

ORG also has major sponsorships with the Kings and Caps so..............

There are actually nonstop flights from Logan to China now but they are loooooooooooooooooooooooooong

Hainan Airlines (HU) #7962 ✈ 28-Dec-2017 ✈ KBOS - PVG / ZSPD ✈ FlightAware

Hainan Airlines (HU) #482 ✈ 28-Dec-2017 ✈ KBOS - PEK / ZBAA ✈ FlightAware

Reactions: sooshii

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Based on my finances today --- not a chance.

If I was financially able --- definitely.

Reactions: sooshii

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Elliotte Friedman writes that he believes the Bruins are in the mix to play a couple of regular season games in China next year.

The Bruins make sense for China because they’ve had players make summer trips to that country for a few years. You could send the Capitals almost anywhere. So there are a few puzzle pieces, but to those of us on the outside, the picture isn’t yet clear.

That would be an interesting roadtrip and given the time the Bruins have spent China the past 2 years and their marketing deals with two Chinese companies there might be something to this.

ORG also has major sponsorships with the Kings and Caps so..............

There are actually nonstop flights from Logan to China now but they are loooooooooooooooooooooooooong

Noooooooooope. 16 hours on a plane is about eight times longer than I could possibly stand.

Reactions: frickinbobby

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
want-want-logo.jpg

Reactions: Fenway

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I wonder how much of the supposed uptick of interest in hockey in China is genuine, and how much of it is driven by a wanna-be goalie CEO of ORG.

Meet the Chinese billionaire who wants to grow hockey in the world's biggest market | The Hockey News

ORG made Pasta his own drink cans...

Pasta keeps getting picked to go...I'm sure a lot of the reason is he's a bit little closer, assuming he summers in the Czech Republic. (~7000 miles from Toronto to Shanghi, versus ~5000 from Prague.) But it can't hurt that he wears 88...8 is a Chinese lucky number. You won't see Vegas hotels with floor 4 for the exact opposite reason - 4 is a near-homophone for "death" in Chinese.

Not too thrilled if it means the Bruins have to put extra energy into both marketing AND traveling during the regular season. The jet lag would be a killer. I'd LOVE for them to play part or most their preseason schedule there.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
A couple of regular season games? So the Bruins lose out on probably a home game? That's fair to the fans here who i don't know...Actually care about the team.

A preseason game, fine...But TWO regular season games in China is so NHL, it hurts. Who are these morons in charge of these decisions?

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
A couple of regular season games? So the Bruins lose out on probably a home game? That's fair to the fans here who i don't know...Actually care about the team.

A preseason game, fine...But TWO regular season games in China is so NHL, it hurts. Who are these morons in charge of these decisions?

Don't worry the Bruins will make up for the loss of a regular season home game by adding a 4th preseason home game at full price to ST holders.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I wonder how much of the supposed uptick of interest in hockey in China is genuine, and how much of it is driven by a wanna-be goalie CEO of ORG.

Meet the Chinese billionaire who wants to grow hockey in the world's biggest market | The Hockey News

ORG made Pasta his own drink cans...

Pasta keeps getting picked to go...I'm sure a lot of the reason is he's a bit little closer, assuming he summers in the Czech Republic. (~7000 miles from Toronto to Shanghi, versus ~5000 from Prague.) But it can't hurt that he wears 88...8 is a Chinese lucky number. You won't see Vegas hotels with floor 4 for the exact opposite reason - 4 is a near-homophone for "death" in Chinese.

Not too thrilled if it means the Bruins have to put extra energy into both marketing AND traveling during the regular season. The jet lag would be a killer. I'd LOVE for them to play part or most their preseason schedule there.

I'm not sure the infrastructure and interest will ever be there in China itself for hockey to become huge but its a very popular sport in North America with Asian American/Canadian families. I played some some really good asian kids growing up.

There should be a dozen+ good NHLers who are Asian in the next decade. Which means more Asians in the NHL than the NBA. That will raise interest. And I'd guess China/Korea/Japan see KHL teams at some point. There are a few places I wouldn't bother playing NHL games (Mexico City doesn't make sense for hockey even if it makes sense for NBA/NFL/MLB) but China isn't one of them. It makes sense. But future NHLers of Asian descent are probably gonna be born in Vancouver not Hangzhou.

I hope the Bruins draft Jett Woo hes the McAvoy of this draft and will end up the best player in it I don't care if we are loaded at that position.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

The last time the B's gave up a home game was in 2010-2011 - that season ended well :D

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I'm not sure the infrastructure and interest will ever be there in China itself for hockey to become huge but its a very popular sport in North America with Asian American/Canadian families. I played some some really good asian kids growing up.

There should be a dozen+ good NHLers who are Asian in the next decade. Which means more Asians in the NHL than the NBA. That will raise interest. And I'd guess China/Korea/Japan see KHL teams at some point. There are a few places I wouldn't bother playing NHL games (Mexico City doesn't make sense for hockey even if it makes sense for NBA/NFL/MLB) but China isn't one of them. It makes sense. But future NHLers of Asian descent are probably gonna be born in Vancouver not Hangzhou.

I hope the Bruins draft Jett Woo hes the McAvoy of this draft and will end up the best player in it I don't care if we are loaded at that position.

Some eyebrows were raised last June when China television stated that 22 million were watching the Stanley Cup Final.

Stanley Cup fever translates well in China | Toronto Star

PITTSBURGH—Sportsnet and the CBC think they’ve struck it big when four million Canadians tune in to the Stanley Cup playoffs.
NBC was ecstatic to announce average viewership of five million for Monday’s Game 1 of the Cup final between Nashville and Pittsburgh, a 22 per cent increase over Pittsburgh-San Jose last year.

But those numbers pale in comparison to the regular audience in China: 22 million.
“We have a lot of people,” said Chinese broadcaster Wei Wu, who calls himself Marvin. “Viewership is not a problem.”

Indeed, the nation of 1.3 billion people has warmed to hockey in a big way and the NHL has noticed.

BigBadBears

Jun 13, 2014
Don't worry the Bruins will make up for the loss of a regular season home game by adding a 4th preseason home game at full price to ST holders.

They'll just raise prices for STHs across the board by twice what 1 game lost would be. Then they get the higher prices in perpetuity.

Can't wait to watch a game before going to work. If they decide to air it.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

Well, given the logistics of travel, it would make sense to do two games - one home game for the Bruins, and one away game against teh same team. As long as it's against a Western Conference team, it's probably palatable. Obviously teams like Vancouver, Calgary, Colorado, Arizona, or San Jose wouldn't make much of a dent, as they often sell on the secondary market way under STH face price here. (Fans in other cities would probably feel differently, as the Bruins are a pretty big draw in general.) LA is probably the best selling Pacific team, but it's still way worse than Chicago, Pittsburgh, or...*gulp*...Montreal.

The bigger deal is if it takes away a net weekend/holiday game, or a net weekday game. There are about 18 games that are "good draw" days - I'm including any Saturday, the Monday matinees, Black Friday, and the week between Christmas and New Year. If we suddenly get only 15 weekend games at the Garden, that'll be terrible. Even if a Chinese game is played on a Saturday, the schedule can be made so the Bruins lose a weekend away game, and not a weekend home game.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN

Have traveled to China ... with connections, it was a full 24 hours from airport to Beijing. 12+ hours on a plane is *brutal*.

Because of the connection with ORG Packaging, it doesn't surprise me the Bruins would be a team chosen to play in China. There isn't much of a hockey presence there - the Asia League spans a few cities in Japan, Korea, China and eastern Russia, but the quality of play looks, at best, SPHL-level. NBA basketball is huge there, as is EPL soccer. With 1+ billion people, many of whom like sports, in a rapidly-growing economy, China is a big target.

It's always 2 games, because the teams play one "road" and one "home" game to keep their schedules balanced. Bruins and Coyotes did the same in Europe to open the 2010-11 season.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
The only way I'd be in favor of NHL games in China is after the invention of "beam me up" technology. I realize NHL players aren't exactly crammed into economy class seats, but that's a lot of flying.

Reactions: Fenway

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad