Elliott #1 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Any goalie at their best is a top goalie. Almost any player at their best is a top player. What's the point of talking about it?

Because he sustained it over a whole season, not just one game. And because with the Blues there have been two very different Brian Elliotts. One is a record-setting All-Star (pretty sure that's at least some top-5 indication) and the other struggles mightily and looks terrible. Nobody's arguing that he's a consistent goalie at this point in his career. But saying even his best sucks (which his agenda critics like you have been saying) is nonsensical. His best is great and MORE than enough to give his team an opportunity to win (runaway Quality Starts win last year). Can he be more consistent with his best? He'll have to prove it, because right now he's hit or miss with no in-between.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Because he sustained it over a whole season, not just one game. And because with the Blues there have been two very different Brian Elliotts. One is a record-setting All-Star (pretty sure that's at least some top-5 indication) and the other struggles mightily and looks terrible. Nobody's arguing that he's a consistent goalie at this point in his career. But saying even his best sucks (which his agenda critics like you have been saying) is nonsensical. His best is great and MORE than enough to give his team an opportunity to win (runaway Quality Starts win last year). Can he be more consistent with his best? He'll have to prove it, because right now he's hit or miss with no in-between.

Didn't say he sucks, I actually said he's an above average backup but by no means a starter. Blues style last year very much attributed to elliot's stats. Hitchcock, see Steve Mason and Roman Cechmanek.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Didn't say he sucks, I actually said he's an above average backup but by no means a starter. Blues style last year very much attributed to elliot's stats. Hitchcock, see Steve Mason and Roman Cechmanek.

This is incredibly lazy. I watched the games. Hitchcock was not out there saving breakaways and 2-on-1s all season. It was Brian Elliott. There was a lot of very good team defense and lot of exceptional goaltending when the team gave up scoring chances. I love the lazy analysis that says because the Blues were good defensively the goalies should be scorned and compared to guys nobody thinks are good. It's terrible logic. It's ridiculous. No Blues fan has EVER – EVER – seen better goaltending in a Blues uniform than last season with Elliott. Also, Brian Elliott's name has two Ts in it, in case you wanted to know how to spell names of guys who are on the Blues.

ToniJ1960

Feb 18, 2009
This is incredibly lazy. I watched the games. Hitchcock was not out there saving breakaways and 2-on-1s all season. It was Brian Elliott. There was a lot of very good team defense and lot of exceptional goaltending when the team gave up scoring chances. I love the lazy analysis that says because the Blues were good defensively the goalies should be scorned and compared to guys nobody thinks are good. It's terrible logic. It's ridiculous. No Blues fan has EVER – EVER – seen better goaltending in a Blues uniform than last season with Elliott. Also, Brian Elliott's name has two Ts in it, in case you wanted to know how to spell names of guys who are on the Blues.

Its been a long time so my recollection may be off a little, but when I think about having watched Liut and Joseph, I cant say its so clear cut as you say it is.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia

If Elliott has been the best goaltender/pulled off better goaltending than any goalie in Blues history, they should disband. And even if its true, it doesn't say a lot as the Blues have never had much goaltending success.

Btw, check out my previous post about Elliott. I accidentally left out a "t" in my latest post, but of course you'd jump all over it.

Last edited by a moderator:

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I expect this kind of statement from the general NHL board and from people who didn't/don't watch the Blues play very often. It was pretty much the party line on the main board last season. But its not true. Hitchcock's system didn't help Halak or Elliott avoid looking like garbage early this season.

The Blues hold opponents to lower numbers of shots through Hitchcock's system, but they tend to give up plenty of high quality scoring chances...and they did that last year, too. But last year, it was almost a given that Elliott/Halak would stop them.

Elliott got in a zone of high confidence that was impressive to see. I think he can do it again. If we could see that from him for the entire post-season....something magical could happen. I'm skeptical, but hopeful. But to chalk it up like: plug in goalie X into Hitchcock's system and get record-setting save percentages. That's baloney.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
I expect this kind of statement from the general NHL board and from people who didn't/don't watch the Blues play very often. It was pretty much the party line on the main board last season. But its not true. Hitchcock's system didn't help Halak or Elliott avoid looking like garbage early this season.

The Blues hold opponents to lower numbers of shots through Hitchcock's system, but they tend to give up plenty of high quality scoring chances...and they did that last year, too. But last year, it was almost a given that Elliott/Halak would stop them.

Elliott got in a zone of high confidence that was impressive to see. I think he can do it again. If we could see that from him for the entire post-season....something magical could happen. I'm skeptical, but hopeful. But to chalk it up like: plug in goalie X into Hitchcock's system and get record-setting save percentages. That's baloney.

Same thing was said about Mason by CBJ fans. Will just have to wait and see, can't argue what I said with no real proof. Watching the games last year, Elliott and Halak faced a large number of outside shots which are generally easy for a goaltender to stop. As I said, Elliott is a top backup. On his game with a team playing a different system, he puts up around .915-.920 in 25-30 games. Saying he is himself a top 5 goalie at any point, is just odd.

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008
Same thing was said about Mason by CBJ fans. Will just have to wait and see, can't argue what I said with no real proof. Watching the games last year, Elliott and Halak faced a large number of outside shots which are generally easy for a goaltender to stop. As I said, Elliott is a top backup. On his game with a team playing a different system, he puts up around .915-.920 in 25-30 games. Saying he is himself a top 5 goalie at any point, is just odd.

I think it is more odd to say the single season save percentage record holder is the 31- 35 best goaltender in the league is much odder than saying that he isn't ever at any point a top five goalie.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think it is more odd to say the single season save percentage record holder is the 31- 35 best goaltender in the league is much odder than saying that he isn't ever at any point a top five goalie.

When did I say he was 31-35? Not every starting goaltender, is starting goalie material.

To compare a goalie at their best to every one else during average play is ridiculous. Thats the same as me saying, back when Elliott was playing terrible, that he is the 60th best goalie in the league... You need to compare all goalies at their best if you want to compare Elliott at his best to everyone.

Lundqvist at his best>Elliott at his best.
Quick, Rinne, Miller, Brodeur, Price, Luongo, etc, at their best is better than Elliott. Do you see why this is a ridiculous argument yet?

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008
When did I say he was 31-35? Not every starting goaltender, is starting goalie material.

To compare a goalie at their best to every one else during average play is ridiculous. Thats the same as me saying, back when Elliott was playing terrible, that he is the 60th best goalie in the league... You need to compare all goalies at their best if you want to compare Elliott at his best to everyone.

Quick, Rinne, Miller, Brodeur, Price, Luongo, etc, at their best is better than Elliott. Do you see why this is a ridiculous argument yet?

If Elliott is nothing more than a back-up, and there are ~60 goaltenders in the league, that would put him in the bottom half. Unless you want to say that only some starters are starters. Or that back-ups are better than starters. Maybe, instead of implying one thing and changing it, don't be vague, and give us a range. Where would you put Elliott? He isn't starter material, but he is ranked higher than 30+ (back-up territory). So where would you put him? You claim not every team has a starting-quality goalie. But isn't is true that some teams have more than one starting-quality goalie?

You said, "Saying he is himself a top 5 goalie at any point, is just odd." Last season Elliott set the single season save percentage record. How is that not a top five goalie last season? I'm not talking about one game here, I'm talking about an entire season where not only did Elliott have a better save percentage than anyone else, he had a better percentage than anyone in history! He also lead the league in GAA last season. But hey, I guess everyone else just took the year off???

On an individual basis, Elliott's best single season was better than Lundqvist's best season. Same for Rinne. Same for Price. Same for Luongo. Only one of those players holds the all time save percentage record.

Last edited:

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
If Elliott is nothing more than a back-up, and there are ~60 goaltenders in the league, that would put him in the bottom half. Unless you want to say that only some starters are starters. Or that back-ups are better than starters. Maybe, instead of implying one thing and changing it, don't be vague, and give us a range. Where would you put Elliott? He isn't starter material, but he is ranked higher than 30+ (back-up territory). So where would you put him? You claim not every team has a starting-quality goalie. But isn't is true that some teams have more than one starting-quality goalie?

You said, "Saying he is himself a top 5 goalie at any point, is just odd." Last season Elliott set the single season save percentage record. How is that not a top five goalie last season? I'm not talking about one game here, I'm talking about an entire season where not only did Elliott have a better save percentage than anyone else, he had a better percentage than anyone in history! He also lead the league in GAA last season. But hey, I guess everyone else just took the year off???

There are probably around 20-22 real starter goalies in the league right now. I'd put Elliott around 25-28. You just ignore my reasoning for what I said. Yes. I realize Elliott put up unreal numbers last year, congratulations on opening up NHL.com.

For you guys to be saying two goalies putting up like 15 shutouts isn't related to the system they are playing in is crazy. Wait until Elliott is playing in a different system until you tell me I'm wrong again.

erderuft

Jun 28, 2011
Borås, Sweden
On an individual basis, Elliott's best single season was better than Lundqvist's best season. Same for Rinne. Same for Price. Same for Luongo. Only one of those players holds the all time save percentage record.

While this is true, I'd take any one of those goalies over Elliot every day of the week.

Also, if you look at playoff stats instead, it tells quite a different story.
Elliott: 12 games - .886 sv% - 2.92 GAA
Lundqvist: 55 games - .917 sv% - 2.31 GAA
Rinne: 28 games - .916 sv% - 2.41 GAA
Price: 26 games - .907 sv% - 2.84 GAA
Luongo: 61 games - .916 sv% - 2.53 GAA

And...
Halak: 23 games - .923 sv% - 2.42 GAA

I really like Elliott as a person, and he's probably a great teammate. And I really hope he can keep playing the way he has done lately.

Cotton McKnight

He left, get over it!
Feb 6, 2009
Siloam Springs

Rebounds, and breakaways are what make Elliot look silly out there. Now sometimes, when Elliot does not make the first move on a break-a-way he looks like a stud, but man sometimes he looks like he is loosing his pants out there.

And yes you can always add a goalie that is ok and they will look good in our system to a point, but as you said, early in the season our tenders looked like garbage. Goaltending is a lot like Golf, it is all a mental game and if you feel up and strong and you have had the fundamental practice to back up your playing (and I mean regular practice all the time) you are going to be strong. But for whatever reason, Halak and Elliot looked to be cruising down the highway in the middle lane day-dreaming about the cup...

But, and this is a big but, if Elliot is indeed elite, then he should be stopping all of those few high quality chances. If you want to call him elite, or if anyone does, I will not buy in until he regularly stops the high quality shots and does not become the flat tire that needs to head to the "A" for reconditioning....

I would absolutely not put him in top 5 category. He's been good, yes. The overall team defense has been stellar over the last 6 games, as well.

That being said the discrepancies between NHL caliber goaltenders is very small, and at this level their play is typically more of a reflection of the help in front of them. The real difference is where a goalie can either steal a game, or lose it with errors. All goaltenders are a by-product of their team's play.

He has been sharp, and is playing very confident right now. But I would still hesitate to claim that Elliott > Halak, but only because that is an absolute statement with no room for other factors to be considered.

Right now, either Halak, Elliott, or Allen can win a stretch of games for the St. Louis Blues (assuming health, of course).

But again, saying Brian Elliott is a top 5 goalie in the NHL is a very long stretch. If he can keep this level of play up for a couple more seasons, then I'd start to consider it. But 3 straight shutouts is actually an anomaly at this level, and probably not a true indicator of how "good" a goaltender is.

Edit: You probably won't see too many "Top 5" goaltenders go from borderline waivers and conditioning stints to such an "elite" level of play. See: Lundy, Rinne, Quick etc...

To add to your statement about the anomaly of 3 shutouts, Lundqvuist finally got his first shutout of the year last weekend. He has had a struggling team in front of him and Lundy is normally always listed in the year to year Vezina talks as real candidate.

There are probably around 20-22 real starter goalies in the league right now. I'd put Elliott around 25-28. You just ignore my reasoning for what I said. Yes. I realize Elliott put up unreal numbers last year, congratulations on opening up NHL.com.

For you guys to be saying two goalies putting up like 15 shutouts isn't related to the system they are playing in is crazy. Wait until Elliott is playing in a different system until you tell me I'm wrong again.

Elliot's success with OTT? I have no clue, he rose like a rocket with only seconds later a big boom followed with a fizzle. COL, wow, with that performance I really questioned why we even picked him up. STL get's him, oh ok we have an ex elite prospect as a backup now. Then he goes on a regular season terrorizing of the league (when facing few rebounds, or harrowing conditions) and folds up like a lawn chair in the playoffs when the Blues get outplayed.

Elliot does a pretty good job (notice I said good not elite) of stopping the first shot, after that if there is a rebound we are rolling the dice.

While this is true, I'd take any one of those goalies over Elliot every day of the week.

Also, if you look at playoff stats instead, it tells quite a different story.
Elliott: 12 games - .886 sv% - 2.92 GAA
Lundqvist: 55 games - .917 sv% - 2.31 GAA
Rinne: 28 games - .916 sv% - 2.41 GAA
Price: 26 games - .907 sv% - 2.84 GAA
Luongo: 61 games - .916 sv% - 2.53 GAA

And...
Halak: 23 games - .923 sv% - 2.42 GAA

I really like Elliott as a person, and he's probably a great teammate. And I really hope he can keep playing the way he has done lately.

Yeah, and even Halak has me holding my breath during a game. In my Blues viewing experience (started paying attention in `86) I have never felt comfortable with any of our goalies. Sure they have had some hot runs, but everything seemed to fizzle for us over some weak goal, or some brain meltdown of our tenders.

While Elliot seems like a nice guy, nice guys that are not elite are not a coveted #1.

Last edited:

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

Cotton McKnight

He left, get over it!
Feb 6, 2009
Siloam Springs

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO

So none of those teams have, or had a better defense, coaching, or system than St. Louis while those guys put up their career best numbers? To use the coach and team playing in front of him as an excuse and not a set standard for all of the other players you mentioned is pointless and hypocritical.

Tyler Durden

Sep 18, 2009
Elliot is on fire lately, I know he's playing well and Blues have back to back games but they have to give a break right and try out Allen? Allen vs Dallas IMO, what do y'all think?

NeoCanuck

Jay Beagle? In THIS economy?
Jan 17, 2005
North Vancouver B.C.
Hey there, quick question.
Is there a chance that Elliot will start the rest of the Blues games after Dallas on Friday? Im guessing it'll go Elliot-Allen-Elliot-Elliot-Elliot, but I may be wrong being a Canucks fan.

Need to know for Fantasy Hockey related reasons.

Kardi

Jul 28, 2004
Interwebs
Update on his injury.. Mon, Dec 22
Brian Elliott (lower body) participated in Monday's practice.
Advice: He shared time in one of the nets with Jake Allen and impressed coach Ken Hitchcock with his progress. "I had before Christmas time as a goal for myself," Elliott said. "Being able to get back and practice fully and not really think about anything — just play and not second-guess yourself — I've hit that goal and now I want to start getting back into it." He's still listed as week-to-week and there's no set timetable for his return, but GM Doug Armstrong said it's getting closer.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Bump of a thread with P9 posts, I approve.

And how I was reminded of Buffalo fans saying we have a 2 year window, so we should sell the farm for Miller lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad