News Article: Elliot on new pads

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I have to imagine they can fix this problem on the manufacturing side? I mean what did guys do before they started with the oversized novelty pads? Get bruised? If that's the case then sorry Mr. Elliot, you're getting bruised.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
NHL Testing new chest pads
goalie.jpg

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
I have to imagine they can fix this problem on the manufacturing side? I mean what did guys do before they started with the oversized novelty pads? Get bruised? If that's the case then sorry Mr. Elliot, you're getting bruised.

Well, they played without masks till 1959 too. :sarcasm:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Elliott's obviously not going to win the sympathy vote from the old-school guys who wore heavier but less protective gear; however, he has a point that the objective wasn't for saves to be more painful but rather that goalies couldn't settle for taking up 7/8ths of the net by squaring up and letting pucks hit them. Impact absorption will absolutely be less with more form-fitting pads and I wouldn't be surprised if the goalie injury rate ticks upward.

I'll be interested to see the effect of the next-generation gear. If goalies need to be better protected in a form-fitting way, that would point to harder pads, which in turn should create more rebounds.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
On one hand the league is on a mission for more goals and let’s be honest goalie gear has gotten out of control over the last decade, but there’s a way to shrink the pads and not give up safety

Reactions: BernieParent

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It's been a while since I've had Gamecenter to watch old games, but my recollection was that a major difference between goalies then and now was you saw them trying to glove a lot more shots, since absorbing them with your body wasn't exactly ideal.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
It's been a while since I've had Gamecenter to watch old games, but my recollection was that a major difference between goalies then and now was you saw them trying to glove a lot more shots, since absorbing them with your body wasn't exactly ideal.
That, or many of the shots were low, so they could be stopped with the stick, or leg pads.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad