SHL: Elitserien becomes Swedish Hockey League

svartgul

Hata Löven
May 9, 2007
Beyond the Infinite
www.northpower.nu
So I don't watch elitseriematcher anymore? So now I'm watching an SHL game? In other words, Elitserien won't be used anywhere anymore, it's all english or using the abbreviation? This is dumb, just give us 14 teams already Loob and Helber! Talk about having some kind of inferior complex when we can't use our language anymore.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I don't dislike these changes, I just think they're alibi moves very much like last year's changes. Same ****, different name.

So I don't watch elitseriematcher anymore? So now I'm watching an SHL game? In other words, Elitserien won't be used anywhere anymore, it's all english or using the abbreviation? This is dumb, just give us 14 teams already Loob and Helber! Talk about having some kind of inferior complex when we can't use our language anymore.

I would have to guess it will be called "Svenska Hockeyligan" in Swedish.

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
Could this change give the league more freedom to modify some rules? Would be nice to rid ourselves of the game misconducts, or at least, the multi-game suspensions, for fighting.
That would be the SH, not SHL.
Skellefteå AIK would be Skellefteå AI with that logic?

Skellefteå Artificial Intelligence, your 2013 Swedish Champions.

FinRuutu

Red Wins
Feb 7, 2010
Helsinki
Could this change give the league more freedom to modify some rules? Would be nice to rid ourselves of the game misconducts, or at least, the multi-game suspensions, for fighting.Skellefteå AIK would be Skellefteå AI with that logic?

Skellefteå might be artificial but there is no intelligence. :laugh:

But I think the name change is a good thing. I wish SM-Liiga would change their name to Finnish Hockey Legue or Finnish Elite League

SurMartin

Jul 26, 2010
København/Skellefteå
Skellefteå might be artificial but there is no intelligence. :laugh:

But I think the name change is a good thing. I wish SM-Liiga would change their name to Finnish Hockey Legue or Finnish Elite League
Yeah, a team with two guys with a Master of Science degree in Engineering Physics. Must be totally brainless. :sarcasm:

People will just keep using "Elitserien".

svartgul

Hata Löven
May 9, 2007
Beyond the Infinite
www.northpower.nu
Could this change give the league more freedom to modify some rules? Would be nice to rid ourselves of the game misconducts, or at least, the multi-game suspensions, for fighting.Skellefteå AIK would be Skellefteå AI with that logic?

AIK is an abbreviation for crying out loud, you can't double abbreviate words. Well I guess you could, if your're dumb.

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
Who says Elitserien anyway? The first "E" is not even capitalized by the media. Always found that strange.

hz

Aug 7, 2010
Embarrassing. Will we be the first non english-speaking country to have an english league name? Like it isn't enough with teams having names like Indians and Redhawks.... Would actually prefer a sponsored name like, "IKEA-ligan" or even something like "eriks bygg och inredning liga"....

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden
AIK is an abbreviation for crying out loud, you can't double abbreviate words. Well I guess you could, if your're dumb.

Ever heard of SVT? Or just TV? SCB? SKF? AB? etc etc...

SHL (Svenska Hockeyligan) works perfectly fine withing "the rules" of abbrevations.

And as stated above. It's idrottsklubb, not idrotts klubb.

Last edited:

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden
Prefered SEL, but meh, who cares.

Just that "SEL" is a made up word. There really is nothing called "SEL".

Even though google translates "Elitserien" to "SEL" (lol) we all now that it is wrong.
If it is anything it's more of a nickname, in english.

I don't mind the change. It works in both swedish and english and gives the league an official unique identity/profile.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund

Even though google translates "Elitserien" to "SEL" (lol) we all now that it is wrong.

I don't mind the change. It works in both swedish and english and gives the league an official unique identity/profile.

Okay, so I prefer Swedish Elite League to Swedish Hockey league. But in the end who gives a crap, I'll still call it elitserien.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg

It's not a nickname, it's the most commonly known name for the league in english and will be so even after this change.

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden
It's not a nickname, it's the most commonly known name for the league in english and will be so even after this change.

Yeah. Like Federov is the most commonly known name for Fjodorov.
SEL is still no official name for any league.

Just like saying FEL (Finish Elite League) just for the lack of a better translation.

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
I like it. It stands out and is unique. Although I do like the name Elitserien for different reasons, its not unique in any way, as there are several other leagues with the very same same name, such as handball, speedway and bandy to name but a few. And it's also way better than a sponsored name. IKEA-ligan as someone mentioned up there would look just ridiculous.

Poro24

May 4, 2005
Finland
I like SHL. Too bad you had to copy this awful new playoffs system from SM-liiga :shakehead. It would work better with 14 teams.

SM-liiga is trying to sell it's name for next season so we are going to get some ridiculous sponsor name...

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
The name of the league had to be changed eventually, hopefully they give it an official name in Swedish AND English this time. I will go nuts if everyone here in Sweden starts calling it "Swedish Hockey League", Svenska Hockeyligan sounds just fine to me.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Although I do like the name Elitserien for different reasons, its not unique in any way, as there are several other leagues with the very same same name, such as handball, speedway and bandy to name but a few.

Yea, but the league is never referred to as Elitserien i ishockey, it's Elitserien and all other leagues are referred to as "Elitserien in ..."

SurMartin

Jul 26, 2010
København/Skellefteå
Jimmie looks doubtful.
thumb_460.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad