Speculation: Elite Speculation: Craig Berube is the new head coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Both major hockey networks are leaning towards Berube as the likely next head coach. Why are we so safe on this board? Are you seeing any conflicting reports to say it will be someone else?

It's almost done.

Berube is here.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The problem isn’t the coach, it’s the way the team is built. Getting a mediocre hardass coach isn’t going to fix that.

Having a 1/22 or whatever PP in the playoffs is awful too. They need to clean house if they’re going to hire a new HC. Might as well bring a whole new group in

Sheldon Keefe was absolutely the problem

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
What is elite speculation? Regardless of whatever elite speculation is.we know he's a championship level coach because he's won a championship which makes him the best available candidate and therefore by default the right choice.

Mid hire if true

A championship level coach is never a mid hire, and before you bring up Babcock his coaching ability is not why he's not coaching today.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
What is elite speculation? Regardless of whatever elite speculation is.we know he's a championship level coach because he's won a championship which makes him the best available candidate and therefore by default the right choice.

A championship level coach is never a mid hire, and before you bring up Babcock his coaching ability is not why he's not coaching today.

Who was the last cup winning coach to have won another with a different team?

Reactions: Atomos2

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
The problem isn’t the coach, it’s the way the team is built. Getting a mediocre hardass coach isn’t going to fix that.

Having a 1/22 or whatever PP in the playoffs is awful too. They need to clean house if they’re going to hire a new HC. Might as well bring a whole new group in
Yup. This team ain’t winning jack with over 46 millions going to 4 forwards. Maybe in 25-26 we can have a chance again.

Guess I’ll just watch next season in hopes of a miracle on ice or just another rocket season…

Reactions: Leafshater67

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Unfortunately I don't think Berube is any more likely to play a Robertson over a Gregor than Keefe was and that's a problem when we have a team that struggles to score in the playoffs and some young kids coming up.

Treliving also needs to clear the wasted cap spce in the bottom 6 and actually spend the cap on the defense this offseason.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Unfortunately I don't think Berube is any more likely to play a Robertson over a Gregor than Keefe was and that's a problem when we have a team that struggles to score in the playoffs and some young kids coming up.

Treliving also needs to clear the wasted cap spce in the bottom 6 and actually spend the cap on the defense this offseason.

If he trades Marner you also needs to somewhat replace him, I'm interested to see how he does that, I'm wondering if he targets Lindholm since he brought Lindholm to Calgary

Another coach doesn’t change the fact that they’ve got 40-something million tied up into guys who have not once elevated their game.

It’s a very poorly constructed team and they’ll never win this way.

Another coach that isn't an idiot makes a BIG difference.

Sheldon Keefe is the worst coach in the league

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Another coach doesn’t change the fact that they’ve got 40-something million tied up into guys who have not once elevated their game.

It’s a very poorly constructed team and they’ll never win this way.
You've typed this twice now.

Did you read the thread title?
How could you possibly misinterpret what this thread is about?

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016

Because Robertson scored in the playoffs? What did Robertson do in the playoffs that Gregor didn't do?

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I read the Kelly Chase article on Berube and McLellan. He is complementary of both - how do we all feel about McLellan and Shanny both being in Chase’s wedding party?

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Adding Klingberg was a smart idea but for the wrong player. We need some more offense generated from the defence. If we get some hard nosed dmen with some offensive talent that can absolutely capitalize back there then we don’t need to overpay on bottom 6 players that may lead to a Clarkson situation.

And yes, dumping Marner is a must.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
You've typed this twice now.

Did you read the thread title?
How could you possibly misinterpret what this thread is about?
I’ll type it 100 times if I want to. Unless Berube can somehow get the salary removed, this will not fix anything. This team has too much money tied up into a greedy group who doesn’t hate losing.

Firing the coach changes little. I don’t think Keefe was a great coach, don’t get me wrong but a simple coaching change will not fix their issues.

• Haha
Reactions: Ianturnedbull

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
I’ll type it 100 times if I want to. Unless Berube can somehow get the salary removed, this will not fix anything. This team has too much money tied up into a greedy group who doesn’t hate losing.

Firing the coach changes little. I don’t think Keefe was a great coach, don’t get me wrong but a simple coaching change will not fix their issues.
That's why there's an offseason, and the expectation has been set that some reasonably significant changes are coming. The coach hire has to come first - then the player moves come after the playoffs are done.

AllHeartNoSkill

Nov 23, 2008

I said this same thing in the other coachin thread. The results aren’t changing without a stabilized net and a true top defenseman.

That said, I have to wonder if there’s not a culture issue with the organization. And if there is, MAYBE (!!!) Berube can start to fix that until the other pieces fall into place.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I said this same thing in the other coachin thread. The results aren’t changing without a stabilized net and a true top defenseman.

That said, I have to wonder if there’s not a culture issue with the organization. And if there is, MAYBE (!!!) Berube can start to fix that until the other pieces fall into place.
Looks the the King of Redundant threads has struck again. :laugh:

Reactions: TheDoldrums

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Tell that to the Canucks who were a train wreck before they hired Tocchet. They are playing hard and turning the Oilers black and blue, Berube could do the same for this team IMO.

Reactions: ACC1224
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad