The Players' Tribune: Elite 101: Goal Scorers | By John Gibson

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Gibson talks about the best goal scorers and names Crosby but not Ovechkin.

This should be fun

Reactions: nturn06

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
The list: McDavid and Draisaitl, MacKinnnon, Petterson, Matthews, and Crosby.

Pretty good read.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
I’m before Dekes uses this as his “stat” that Matthews is the best goal scorer in the league :laugh:
Gibson talks about the best goal scorers and names Crosby but not Ovechkin.

This should be fun
He talks about players scoring in unique ways, which Crosby certainly does. Gibson has only been in the league for what, the last 1/3 (back half) of Ovechkin's career. Although Ovi still finds ways to score no matter what, most goalies know exactly what to expect when they see Ovechkin coming off a rush or waiting at the circle: Try to be in the best positioning possible, and do my best.

It's not a knock to Ovechkin at all, and still an interesting read on a lot of other players.

Also still some so-so reliability, cause he notes down Matthews but has only been scored on by him once LOL. Ohwell, still a fun article.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
He does mention Ovi and Stamkos when talking about Petterson a bit, so he's not completely omitted.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I remember a play from a regular season game against them in 2017, too. I can’t exactly pinpoint what game it was in, but I had never seen anything like it. Basically, Draisaitl, who was facing the net, had his back to McDavid, and somehow, McDavid fired a pass to the back of Draisaitl’s stick. Then Draisatl just puts it on his forehand and creates a great chance. It didn’t turn into a goal, but it was truly one of the weirdest things I’ve seen on the ice. It was some magic trick type stuff.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I had a feeling Draisaitl would be number one. That playoff series against the Ducks, Draisaitl was just all over the place, got the nickname "Duck Killer" for a while. I swear everytime we play Anaheim, Draisaitl scares them. Happens with Nashville too...I think he just hates animals.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Thanks for the link, I always enjoy those TPT articles..

He might wanna start with the Hawks then.. :naughty:
Ducks 23 pts in 22 games
Coyotes 23 in 27
Hawks 17 in 15
Panthers 12 in 10
Predators 19 in 17
Sharks 21 in 24
Penguins 7 in 10

122 in 115 1.06ppg against animals in his career.

Reactions: Paul4587

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
He talks about players scoring in unique ways, which Crosby certainly does. Gibson has only been in the league for what, the last 1/3 (back half) of Ovechkin's career. Although Ovi still finds ways to score no matter what, most goalies know exactly what to expect when they see Ovechkin coming off a rush or waiting at the circle: Try to be in the best positioning possible, and do my best.

It's not a knock to Ovechkin at all, and still an interesting read on a lot of other players.

Also still some so-so reliability, cause he notes down Matthews but has only been scored on by him once LOL. Ohwell, still a fun article.
Gibson has started in 3 games against Matthews and Matthews has scored in one of them. That's not bad over such a small sample size.

Seems like your reliability should be the one in question.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Gibson has started in 3 games against Matthews and Matthews has scored in one of them. That's not bad over such a small sample size.

Was anything I said incorrect? Simply seems weird to include him as one of the players he hates playing against the most, despite only playing against him 3 times, and only being scored on once. I also never implied that Matthews isn't one of the best goal-scorers in the league (he is), just that it was weird he was on this list. Crosby has scored on him 4 or 5 times, and the rest of the players are in the West so it makes more sense.

Not sure what your problem with any of that may be.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
He notes Matthews as having the best wrister in the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad