Eliminated teams’ injuries list

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Don’t see it posted yet, figured it’d be good to get ‘em all in one place- who played through what?

I’m particularly interested in Boston- people say Ullmark was injured, but with what? Friggin stupid to start an injured goalie if true.

What about Bergeron? Biz speculated it was a bursa sac, which kinda makes sense. Now I see somethin about a herniated disc?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I don't think anyone is looking for excuses. Teams and players disclosing injuries after they are eliminated has always been normal practice for every NHL team.. Is this your first year following hockey or something ?
It's also normal practice for fans to use injuries as excuses for why their teams didn't advance. Yesterday, I had an argument with a fan who insisted that he wasn't making excuses, but that injuries revealed in exit interviews were one of many "reasons" why his team lost.

Turbonium

Aug 21, 2020
Spain
It's also normal practice for fans to use injuries as excuses for why their teams didn't advance. Yesterday, I had an argument with a fan who insisted that he wasn't making excuses, but that injuries revealed in exit interviews were one of many "reasons" why his team lost.
Are you arguing that injuries aren't one of many reasons as to why a team would lose? That seems rather obtuse.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Time for excuses on why XYZ didn't move past the 1st round...
Well I don't use it as a team excuse, but a lot of times fans and media will jump on player XYZ only to find out they had a serious injury.

Like Panarin for example if he had a major injury maybe that explains his play.

It just helps clarify things for the fans and media when evaluated the upcoming off-season for their clubs.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Well I don't use it as a team excuse, but a lot of times fans and media will jump on player XYZ only to find out they had a serious injury.

Like Panarin for example if he had a major injury maybe that explains his play.

It just helps clarify things for the fans and media when evaluated the upcoming off-season for their clubs.
This. I'll never understand the "excuse" thing.

Reactions: 24 others

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
JEE - broken tibia
Hartman - knee(waiting to see if it requires surgery)
Dumba - concussion(final game)
Gaudreau - abdominal surgery in the off season
Zuccarello - groin

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This. I'll never understand the "excuse" thing.
For me a lot of it is wondering which depth players were hurt. Our core guys aren't going anywhere with NMC/NTC and I highly doubt a guy like Ekholm who doesn't have one is dealt.

But if a guy like Ceci is struggling I kinda want that confirmation, not the rumors we've heard for months that he's been banged up most the season.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Definitely need to get a more capable back up goalie that can give Vassy some rest.

I don't know that his 60 starts are really the issue. I think the below is a larger issue. Three seasons going into this one he also had 71 playoff games.

And honestly it's amazing to see just how many more games played in the playoffs he had than anyone else, but it's the fact that he is losing a lot of rest. Like now he's going to gain an extra 2 months of off-season. That's pretty huge in the fatigue factor IMO. In the past by the time he didn't have nearly enough time to decompress and rest his body and mind.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I don't know that his 60 starts are really the issue. I think the below is a larger issue. Three seasons going into this one he also had 71 playoff games.

And honestly it's amazing to see just how many more games played in the playoffs he had than anyone else, but it's the fact that he is losing a lot of rest. Like now he's going to gain an extra 2 months of off-season. That's pretty huge in the fatigue factor IMO. In the past by the time he didn't have nearly enough time to decompress and rest his body and mind.

Oh for sure he needs the rest. But it seems like he was playing through injuries that never went away all year. Having a decent back up can help with that. Gives him some time to heal during the season so he doesn't have to push himself like that.

Either way I'm excited to see what a fully recovered Vassy can do.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Point, rib cage cartilage fracture
All the idiot Toronto fans who laughed about him being crumpled in pain on the ice and who accused him of faking his injury should be ashamed of themselves. Not that they’re capable of such a thing, but they should be.

Also interesting that over half of Tampa’s injury list was caused by dirty plays by Leafs players. That team is as classless as its fanbase.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Oh for sure he needs the rest. But it seems like he was playing through injuries that never went away all year. Having a decent back up can help with that. Gives him some time to heal during the season so he doesn't have to push himself like that.

Either way I'm excited to see what a fully recovered Vassy can do.
From the one article I read seems like that's what he's thinking to. Fully recovered is he back to his old self or is there something more he needs to do to his game.

The other thing that was mentioned was how much did he miss McDonagh this year. A solid shutdown guy that gets into the lane a lot, blocks shots and just helps a goalie be better overall.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
You can make fun of losing teams all you want but it's downright silly to suggest injuries aren't often the #1 reason that a series tilts a certain way.

If fans want to use that to help them justify a loss or two, so be it.

Agreed. Teams that make it to the Finals are not only great teams but typically have great injury luck, whether it's them not having many injuries or playing an injury riddled team somewhere along the way.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
From the one article I read seems like that's what he's thinking to. Fully recovered is he back to his old self or is there something more he needs to do to his game.

The other thing that was mentioned was how much did he miss McDonagh this year. A solid shutdown guy that gets into the lane a lot, blocks shots and just helps a goalie be better overall.
McD was also really good at breakout passes. He could have the puck on his stick in the corner and before you knew it the play was already going the other way out of the zone.

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
Habs list is pretty long. Ridiculously long for the last two years. I think they made a deal with the Devil to make the finals in 2021. They're probably a top 5 team in 21/22 and 22/23 if you eliminate half their injuries. :laugh:

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Spend half the year with AHLers back-filling the roster isn't an 'excuse'. Neither is guys trying to play through significant injury. The players Tampa lost, or had come back and play hurt, definitely impacted their chance of success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad