Elias Pettersson vs Ryan O'Reilly

Who's better now and going forward?

• Total voters

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think the best thing to happen for EP’s development is to play head to head against ROR. He will learn that playing like ROR (sacrificing offence for playing the right way all over the ice, with and without the puck) is what leads teams to Cups.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
RO now, EP future. Very different players but think this is the only way it goes

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I think they are both two way centers. Have you been watching Pettersson this series? He has been all over the place defensively and is certainly not shying away from contact.
Fair enough, I just think they go about things totally differently, that's all.

EP plays a two-way game in the way that Datsyuk did- by being smart with ridiculous hand-eye.

O'Reilly plays a much more workman-like, heavy game.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It's hard to say. I think O'Reilly is better defensively and in the cycle game offensively. He's more consistent on a shift to shift basis. But Pettersson is better in transition and has more game-breaking ability. He's also better on the PP. I think they're pretty close right now and would take Pettersson if I had a team that needed more offensive punch and O'Reilly if I had a more rounded team or offensive team that needs a bit more of everything. Pettersson on Columbus, O'Reilly on the Leafs sort of thing. Pettersson will almost certainly be better in the future due solely to age, but he should also have a higher peak/prime ceiling once he gains more strength, as he's just more skilled. He battles hard, and is a gamer, but is just too easy to knock off the puck right now.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
both extremely underrated. 2 of the probably 7 best centers in the game. ill go EP now and future though.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Accidentally picked ROR now and future but I'd say ROR is the better NHL center at the moment, even though EP is probably the better hockey player.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
O'Reilly is a horse right now. ES, PP, PK, important draw, up a goal, down a goal, empty net, he going over the boards. Petterson has the luxury of a more compartmentalized role, with a fair portion of the responsibilities expected of O'Reilly being delegated to Miller and Horvat.

datboichoi

May 26, 2020
ROR now and in the future.

Never get all the hype for EP.

Overrated.
Guy is 21 and was just 2nd in the NHL in GAR and 3rd in WAR. To say “you don’t get the hype” when this player is utterly dominating at even strength is just absurd.

A) You’re either a hockey DB reader who doesn’t understand how to assess hockey players or B) You just don’t get how the sport works.

Ah an Oilers fan so the answer is A, I guess there’s a reason why your team is golfing while the Canucks are about to beat the defending champs. There’s more to hockey than just PoINtZ

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Found a stat that showed through 4 games when ror was on the ice his team outshot the Canucks 55-11 and out chances the Canucks 16-3. This was posted on the blues Reddit forum. Yup. Ror is a beast confirmed.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
ROR now and in the future.

Never get all the hype for EP.

Overrated.
If you actually watch him play, you would get it. If you examined his analytics, you would get it. Hell, even if you just watched his highlight packages, you would get it.

Yet, you would take a 30 year old, with significant miles on him, over a 21 year old budding superstar who will be flirting with 100 points within a season or two and plays a tremendous two-way game that, analytically, is one of the best in the NHL?

Okay, then...

It's close now but won't be for long.

Last edited:
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad