Elias Pettersson.. Playoff Ghost

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Canucks vs. Oilers: Rick Tocchet insists Elias Pettersson isn't injured.

The team isn’t using illness to cover for another injury to Pettersson, he said.

“We don’t lie here,” he said, with emphasis.

Unprompted
, Tocchet said he’s aware that there’s been speculation about whether Pettersson is carrying some sort of injury, perhaps to his back or his wrist. But he moved to quash that speculation.

“He’s just a little sick,” he said.

Pettersson, for his part, said he’s feeling fine.

Pettersson played all 82 games this season.

Brock Boeser, Filip Hronek and JT Miller skipped the final trip of the season to Winnipeg, because the Canucks had already locked up #1 in the division, and they wanted to rest some of their bumps and bruises.

Elias Pettersson did not.

His head coach called him a passenger in last night's post-game press conference. You don't call a guy you just signed to an 8-year-deal a passenger if he's injured.

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
Since we’re all speculating ill share my theory.

He was pressured by fans, management and media to sign in Vancouver and eventually put ink to paper when the noise got to loud. His play went off a cliff right before he signed and he’s never recovered.

IMHO, he doesn’t want to play in Van. Even his teammates were ‘surprised’ he extended mid season. Either he wants a quieter market or a huge market like NYC.
If he didn't want to play in Vancouver, he wouldn't have signed. I don't think that's it. And I doubt Tocchet would have called him out if he's indeed injured. I suspect he's going through a severe funk and maybe needs a sport psychologist to get his head in order. I understand piling on the guy (and that's while Canucks are doing quite well) but I think patience is key here. He's signed for the next 8 years, it's very likely he'll find his game and not turn into Huberdeau.

Reactions: quat

Love

Feb 29, 2012
He was playing like crap the last two months of the season too so I’m not sure why people think this has anything to do with the playoffs. The last 27 games of the regular season he had 6 goals and 17 points.

He’s been awful for a long time now. People don’t like to talk about this but it’s entirely mental with him. Thats his problem.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC

He was pressured by fans, management and media to sign in Vancouver and eventually put ink to paper when the noise got to loud. His play went off a cliff right before he signed and he’s never recovered.

IMHO, he doesn’t want to play in Van. Even his teammates were ‘surprised’ he extended mid season. Either he wants a quieter market or a huge market like NYC.

I have a hunch that he's going to quietly request a trade in the offseason, and will be moved at either the draft or close to July 1.

I agree, all of this screams that he actually wanted out but felt the pressure to sign and gave in, and now he has a mental dichotomy because he knows he doesn't want to be here.

Complete speculation at the end of the day.

Reactions: David71

Love

Feb 29, 2012
EPs postgame showed a player who is stuck in his own head. If this was a random occurrence I’d say it’s a non issue but this has been an issue with him since year 2.

Even as an Oiler fan I like his game a lot and hope he can break through (next year)
It’s true. This isn’t the first time he’s forgotten how to play hockey for several months straight.

Two seasons ago, he had only 9 goals and 20 points in his first 40 games. The second half of the season he had 23 goals and 48 points in 40 games. This is what he does. Last season was encouraging because he played to his potential the whole season, but it looks like once again he’s back to his several months long disappearing acts.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021

this is exactly it imo. he also has no friends in the canucks locker room other than hoglander and it's an otherwise tight group

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
I have a hunch that he's going to quietly request a trade in the offseason, and will be moved at either the draft or close to July 1.

I agree, all of this screams that he actually wanted out but felt the pressure to sign and gave in, and now he has a mental dichotomy because he knows he doesn't want to be here.

I don't think he has much of a trade value given his play and contract. But who knows, maybe Utah would take a chance.

Could it be some simmering conflict with Tocchet? He doesn't strike me as a Tocchet kind of player. As you said, complete speculation.🤷

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Hockey players are people and sometimes people struggle as their confidence rises and falls.

It's hilarious that there are a lot of dumb hot takes in here and then like two threads down is a 'Barkov is finally a playoff beast' thread.

What do you bet that a lot of the same loud, ignorant voices have been blowing Barkov up for years as a 'choker, failure, doesn't care' etc are in this thread trashing Petey?
And do you think they learn when time proves them to be wrong in their ignorant assertions?

Of course not. It's just ignorant noise.

Reactions: quat

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017

Vancouver is a beautiful city to live in, has a history of Swedes enjoying it, and the media market is not as bad as others think. Yes the local radio will get on you but overall a good portion of the city wouldn’t even recognize him nor care much for hockey since there is so much else to do. I honestly just think it’s all mental and this isn’t the first time with him. Doubt he wants to leave nor do I think the Canucks would trade him without fighting to the end even if he requested

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005

I will take this bet. I think you're speculation is based on nothing other than heightened emotions of the playoffs.

What are the facts?

He took an 8 year deal to play here.

He is struggling.

His body language looks dejected because he knows he's playing poorly and the guy is used to being a champion (look at what he did in the SEL as a rookie).

From this, you extrapolate that he will be traded before his new contract kicks in? How many times in league history can you name a comparable player being dealt like that?

I get that you're upset, but it's a completely illogical and emotion driven opinion IMO.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
He was playing like ass like a month before the contract negotiations reached a fever pitch too. Wonder what's up with him. I also have had the thought that he felt pressured to sign when it became between Vancouver and Carolina when he really wanted more say.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
He's a really poor playoff performer. Can tell he's rattled by the physical intensity, shades of Matthews/Marner. Canucks fans were mad at me for suggesting that Pettersson could struggle in his first real try at playoff hockey (2020 bubble doesn't count)

The issue is he was underperforming well before the playoffs and this is an extension of that.

It's concerning and I'm starting to wonder if it's mental health related. Just caught a presser he did and dude sounded like he'd spent all last week in his mom's basement listening to Linkin Park.

• Haha
Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I will take this bet. I think you're speculation is based on nothing other than heightened emotions of the playoffs.

What are the facts?

He took an 8 year deal to play here.

He is struggling.

His body language looks dejected because he knows he's playing poorly and the guy is used to being a champion (look at what he did in the SEL as a rookie).

From this, you extrapolate that he will be traded before his new contract kicks in? How many times in league history can you name a comparable player being dealt like that?

I get that you're upset, but it's a completely illogical and emotion driven opinion IMO.

It's not like he scored 110 points and then stopped in Game 1 vs Nashville.

It has been 40 f***ing games of this now. He has 6 goals since February 29. It started almost immediately before he signed that deal and the media pressure was at an all time high.

I don't know, I don't feel like it's that crazy. Might be a bit heightened because of the playoffs, but this is not a non-issue.

To your other point - PK Subban signed a massive extension and was traded shortly after, in his prime. It can be done.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles

I'm going to baselessly speculate (because what else can we do at this point) and wonder if maybe management approached Pettersson in January with a plan. Perhaps they told him to sign, so that the distraction didn't boil over and sewer their amazing season, with the expectation that they find him another home once the season is over. Wildly risky and ridiculous, I know, but who can say? It would never go down but crazier things have happened (well, maybe not).

• Haha
Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I'm going to baselessly speculate (because what else can we do at this point) and wonder if maybe management approached Pettersson in January with a plan. Perhaps they told him to sign, so that the distraction didn't boil over and sewer their amazing season, with the expectation that they find him another home once the season is over. Wildly risky and ridiculous, I know, but who can say? It would never happen but crazier things have happened (well, maybe not).

That's possible. It sounds like JR had the framework for a deal with Carolina in place as a last resort, but perhaps they came to a mutual agreement to sign the contract now and quiet the media storm, while eliminating the sideshow in the dressing room. Protect the locker room and focus on making a run. Seemed like a win/win at the time.

Unfortunately for JR, Pettersson now not only has his bag but has zero incentive to give a shit if he knows the plan is to ship him out in the offseason. So if that is indeed how things played out, he got bamboozled and should have made the trade with Carolina. This essentially kicked the can down the road and it's now blowing up at the worst possible time, rather than with 18 games to go in the regular season.

It doesn't seem like JR to be that naive though, so there has to be more to this story, or Pettersson is simply just hurt/has mono/something.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Is he playing through something, nursing an injury perhaps?
At least throughout round 1, looked like an injury of some kind.
Eh, grain of salt. Not in their best interest to tell people if he is hurt.
Exactly. That comment kinda confirmed he was banged up, lol.
Sweet Jesus.

Hopefully he can use some of that newfound money to hire the best sports psychologist on the market.

I guess the hope would be that the 5th highest paid player in the NHL would be able to produce, frankly regardless of the quality of his linemates.
Go look at the players other top guys in the league play with. Hint: They aren't Mikheyev and Lafferty.

Petey has looked good in the playoffs on pretty much every shift he finds himself out there without his regular linemates.
He's a really poor playoff performer. Can tell he's rattled by the physical intensity, shades of Matthews/Marner. Canucks fans were mad at me for suggesting that Pettersson could struggle in his first real try at playoff hockey (2020 bubble doesn't count)
Why doesn't the bubble count? Does the bubble Stanley Cup not count?

No, he's not getting traded. He's not requesting a trade. I would bet a lot of money he is not traded this offseason.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
It's not like he scored 110 points and then stopped in Game 1 vs Nashville.

It has been 40 f***ing games of this now. He has 6 goals since February 29. It started almost immediately before he signed that deal and the media pressure was at an all time high.

I don't know, I don't feel like it's that crazy. Might be a bit heightened because of the playoffs, but this is not a non-issue.

To your other point - PK Subban signed a massive extension and was traded shortly after, in his prime. It can be done.
He's been slumping since the end of February, no question.

But to extrapolate that it either means he 'sux' or that he doesn't care about hockey/the Canucks/etc, to me just shows a fundamental misunderstanding of hockey or human nature.

I'm not saying that it's not a slim possibility just like it's possible that you're gonna get that date with Scarlett Johansson. I'm just saying it's exceedingly unlikely and much more likely, he will either come out of it this year, or in one of the coming years we will see a thread for Petey like we see for Barkov now where he's 'finally a playoff player'.

There's a learning curve in this stuff. Not just for how the game is played, but the psychology and the stakes.

Petey is a precision player, he's not bigger or faster, he has superlative instincts and hands.

When he's hesitating and not trusting his reads, he's just another guy out there.

He needs to figure out how to get out of his slumps more quickly and/or make his C game look a little closer to his B game, because when he's off it's rough.

But I have faith he will do so.

But I get that it's incredibly frustrating to be in a tied series after next to no success over the last decade and know that if our star was playing like himself we could easily be up 3-1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad