Speculation: Elias Lindholm vs. Sean Monahan

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
The new NHL.com mock drafts came out today, and out of the three mock-ups, two of them had us taking Monahan at the 10th pick. I know the nhl.com mocks are pretty bad and should be taken with a grain of salt, but, the thing that has me question is that also in two of them, Lindholm falls and we don't take him (one of them we choose Shea Theodore, who I didn't even know was a 1st rounder). I would be happy with Monahan if he goes to us, but at the same time, we need offensive-primary forwards and Lindholm would fit the bill greatly.

If we are at bat, and Lindholm and Monahan are available, who would you choose.

I'd choose Lindholm. I think Monahan is the safer pick, but Lindholm has so much more offensive potential.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
Just for fun (wish Conte had that choice).

This for me is like picking between Elias and Bergeron. I would never be able to decide. Pass.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Lindholm, no slight on Monahan at all but I didn't have to think too much about this one.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Tough choice and I'd hope to be in a spot to pick between these two but I doubt it. having to chose though, Lindholm has more of an offensive upside but I'm perhaps jaded by our other three swedish forward 1st rounders (Bergfors, Tedenby, and Josefson) and for that reason, I go with Monahan, a big, strong, potential 1st line center with solid two way play but an offensive ceiling and tremendouns leadership skills. A guy often compared to Jonathan Toews? Where do I sign?

Kensu

Nov 1, 2011
New York City
Lindholm

- he's versatile (can play Center or Right Wing)
- would get along with players with the team rather easily with the amount of Swedes we already have
- one of the more NHL ready prospects in this draft
- has more offensive upside

I realize centers can convert to wing, but I believe Monahan is much more suited playing center, for one of the many reasons is because he's strong in the faceoff circle (and we all know how terrible we are when it comes to faceoffs apart from Zajac)

I would probably end up picking Lindholm, but I would be ecstatic if we landed with either of them. Though I've always had a thing for Monahan because if he ever lives up to his expectations or comparisons of Toews, that's the type of player I have always wanted on this team.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Comparing Lindholm to the 3 Swedes we drafted isn't fair at all cause Lindholm is head and shoulders better then all 3 guys combined.

Lindholm, to me, is like a younger version of Backstrom who isn't shy about throwing his weight around.

snartly

Dec 10, 2011
NJ
Lindholm looks like a better choice. Plays with more offensive power than Josefson, but the same defensively. He can lay the body, also, and seems to be pretty good at faceoffs of needed.

But, I would not mind picking Josh Morissey later in the draft just for his cellys. Pure. Gold.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lindholm cause he has Patrik's last name for a first.:laugh:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Lindholm has more pure offensive talent while still being defensively responsible. Monahan is more of a well-rounded guy that doesn't really excel in anything. The Elias vs. Bergeron comparison above me is a pretty accurate one.

If Lindholm fell to us I'd be ecstatic, but realistically it's unlikely he'll be there. I'd be pleased if we ended up with Monahan. But, that being said, if both were still available when we're on the clock I'd take Lindholm without much hesitation.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
yea, from what i have seen these guys are top 8

If they both go top 8 someone (Shinkaruk, Nichushkin, Ristolainen, Nurse, etc.) are falling outside the top 8. You can't have 10 players picked with 8 picks, and there are about 10 or 11 players being considered for the top 8.

1. Jones
2. Drouin
3. MacKinnon
4. Barkov
5. Nichushkin
6. Nurse
7. Lindholm
8. Monahan
9. Ristolainen
10. Shinkaruk
11. Domi

That's not even considering guys like Zadorov who defense-hungry teams will be interested in.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Monahan. Knowing very little about either player, I think it's very impressive that he had such a successful season on a terrible team. Dude would have probably been a 100+ point guy on a better team.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
so. theres a chance that both become prospects for some of the teams i right despise just as much as any one could be a devil.....

hmm..... ill reserve my right to shut the **** up until the draft is done. i'd hate to publicly want whoever only to feel like i want to drink gasoline at a later date.

;)

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
If they both go top 8 someone (Shinkaruk, Nichushkin, Ristolainen, Nurse, etc.) are falling outside the top 8. You can't have 10 players picked with 8 picks, and there are about 10 or 11 players being considered for the top 8.

1. Jones
2. Drouin
3. MacKinnon
4. Barkov
5. Nichushkin
6. Nurse
7. Lindholm
8. Monahan
9. Ristolainen
10. Shinkaruk
11. Domi

That's not even considering guys like Zadorov who defense-hungry teams will be interested in.

Domi is not considered top 8.

Your general top 8 consensus from reports:

1. Jones
2. Drouin
3. MacKinnon
4. Barkov
5. Nichushkin
6. Lindholm
7. Shinkaruk
8. Monahan

Problem is there is 1 D so most people expect 1 or 2 to pop up there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad