Rumor: El Niño wants out of Long Island

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
If it makes the team better I don't see why not. It's not like our ownership is afraid to spend money and the buyout wouldn't count against the cap. I've heard that the owners were contempt with kotalik and Hagman in the minors
I've heard the exact opposite.

(PS: it's content, not contempt)

The big question mark is Nino still a top 30 prospect in this league? If he was, then sure, back up the dump truck of money and basically buy him. Thing is, he may not be and $24 million is a huge gamble.

Besides, if the Isles can keep DiPietro's contract on the books and its costing them no money and helping them meet the cap floor, he's not going anywhere.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
I like him, but we need centers and defensemen. Backlund+Butler+average prospect or 4th round pick for Nino + salary dump is what I would do.

jebus2

Jul 18, 2010
blowmeester for nino and de haan!!!!!! cmon feaster!!! moar nino, less blowmeester:yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I think you would find in 5 years that we were severely fleeced in that trade.

The possibility certainly exists but both Jank and Nino are huge projects at this point. The difference is one has a top-5 pedigree, and is NHL ready.

Granlund is to even out the value disparity...although, I can see an argument that since Nino wants out of Long Island he isn't worth as much.

I think if he is moved it will be similar to the Turris trade, and that is what my proposal reflects.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Isles would want quality prospect/prospects back.

I would offer Jank and Granlund...

Actually, Butler and Granlund may be close in terms of value. Granlund's value may never be higher than it is right now, and if the Flames brass view him as a question mark to make the NHL then that might not be a bad move.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
The possibility certainly exists but both Jank and Nino are huge projects at this point. The difference is one has a top-5 pedigree, and is NHL ready.

Granlund is to even out the value disparity...although, I can see an argument that since Nino wants out of Long Island he isn't worth as much.

I think if he is moved it will be similar to the Turris trade, and that is what my proposal reflects.

Granlund has shown this year that he has a fairly large offensive upside even without his brother present, I'm extremely hesitant to move him unless we KNOW that the production we're getting in return will be greater. That's all, and I still hold out faith that Janko can be a big name when he's done college. He has done incredibly well this year considering he's never faced real opposition before, and I've found his development to be drastic with the exception of his injury, and I think that that has to do with his development playing against stronger opposition as well.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Actually, Butler and Granlund may be close in terms of value. Granlund's value may never be higher than it is right now, and if the Flames brass view him as a question mark to make the NHL then that might not be a bad move.

That was my thinking in including Granlund.

I don't know if the Isles would value Butler though, maybe Brodie instead?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Granlund has shown this year that he has a fairly large offensive upside even without his brother present, I'm extremely hesitant to move him unless we KNOW that the production we're getting in return will be greater. That's all, and I still hold out faith that Janko can be a big name when he's done college. He has done incredibly well this year considering he's never faced real opposition before, and I've found his development to be drastic with the exception of his injury, and I think that that has to do with his development playing against stronger opposition as well.

I agree, but you have to give quality to get it.

I really like Jankowski and he is developing well, I still think Nino is a better gamble at this point and I think most NHL fans would agree with me.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton

I don't generally like the idea of moving youth for youth, I know you have to give to get, but Brodie is the future of our defense, his progression has shown that, he's another player on this team I hold in high regard, I'd be more likely to move Bo than him and even then I don't like the idea of moving our best D-man.

Maybe I value Nino lower than you though, even with the WinterHawks, Baertschi was better and a year younger, I've always figure Nino would turn into Euro-Avery, based on his attitude and seeming need to be a pest. Maybe his ceiling is Euro-Perry?

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I like him, but we need centers and defensemen. Backlund+Butler+average prospect or 4th round pick for Nino + salary dump is what I would do.

Smells like a substantial overpayment to me. Only thing I'd be willing to give up for Nino would be wingers; I don't know that it would really suit the Isles (presumably they want younger guys) but something around Cammalleri or Hudler (incredibly unlikely, I know) would be good by me.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I think with the whole Visnovsky fiasco, and Butler being a capable top 4 dman that may be tempting enough. I have no doubts they would like Brodie instead, but I would not trade him. Butler and a prospect with high offensive upside is about as good as any GM is going to offer for a disgruntled prospect.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Isles would want quality prospect/prospects back.

I would offer Jank and Granlund...

I doubt they want prospects they have alot of young forwards and a ton of defensemen prospects they will most likely want a young top 4 defensemen a maybe a forward like Horak who can help them out now and in the future.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Smells like a substantial overpayment to me. Only thing I'd be willing to give up for Nino would be wingers; I don't know that it would really suit the Isles (presumably they want younger guys) but something around Cammalleri or Hudler (incredibly unlikely, I know) would be good by me.

Unless extension talks between the Flames and Cammo take a real turn for the worse, I wouldn't be too keen on trading him, as he is a proven goal scorer in this league and you really dont know what you're getting with Nino.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
The difference is if Feaster can show them that we will be just as strong now with this trade as well as adding a top 30 prospect in the nhl then I think they do it.
Tanguay - Cammy - Iginla
Hudler - Stajan - Cervenka
Sven - Backlund - Nino

looks deadly and could save this team several years in an eventual rebuild. Esntially the owners think they will lose money in a rebuild thus they don't want one but if Feaster can convince them one is coming no matter what (it is) and that the 24 million they spend on Dipietro is out weighed but getting Nino to help this rebuild take several years less then I think they do it.

3rd line would be 2nd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad