Post-Game Talk: El Diablow

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
One thing I have to say about Rempe is that he took his opportunity and made the absolute most of it. He has interjected himself into the very fabric of our most heated rivalry and made himself a major part of it. You'll never look at Rangers/Devils again without thinking of his part in it. It's crazy to think of that he has played them three times and never finished a game. His stat line must look ridiculous. Good on the kid, he's picked a tough lane but he's owning it. He's going to wind up with an NHL career out of this.

You're not wrong

1712237560470.png

Reactions: egelband

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
The Devils had 3 goals on 11 shots at one point. I get that the second goal was basically unstoppable, but Igor needs to make a save on one of the other goals. We had outplayed the Devils so handily at that point in the game. You just need your goalie to make a couple tough saves when needed.

I don't think it's any coincidence that we played better with Trouba and Goodrow in the press box (assuming they went there after the line brawl).

Panarin looked good outside of that bad turnover to Bratt. Laf has been on fire, and Trocheck is just a machine. That line just cooks every time they're out on the ice.

Mika looked like he was putting in effort, but still looks so lost. Roslovic is just a waste of space at this point. Kind of annoying that Duclair has 10P in 11GP and is a +5 since going to Tampa, while Roslovic has 7 in 14 and is even. Roslovic is what you get when you dump all your skill points into skating and nothing else.

Kakko is just a massive disappointment. Even games when he scores and has a couple good opportunities, he's still invisible the rest of the time. He just doesn't seem to have the motor to be an impact player, which is sad and frustrating. I think he has the hockey IQ to be a very good shutdown winger. But he just has such a plodding way about him. No fast-twitch, poor acceleration, poor top-end speed, and decent agility.
I thought he was slow to react on the Palat goal. He didn't even get to the post. I'm not saying it's an easy save but it's a save Igor makes when he's locked in. He usually reads the game well and is in position before the puck gets to the opposing player.

Lindgren and Shesty could have easily read that play and stopped the puck from getting across. Shesty didn't even pick up the pass until it was too late. Lindgren unaware of what he's defending

He was on his knees a lot. Not anticipating/tracking well or exploding out as he normally does when he's locked in. He battled through and made some big saves at the end though

Last edited:

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
Exactly! The lineup that Laviolette was forced to put up was less likely to get injured in this situation. Devs were clearly instructed to fight and did we want someone else get a beating and chance an injury? The whole situation was squarely on Green while Laviolette had to accommodate for the sake of the rest of the team.
I disagree. I don't think Lav expected the 5 on 5. He expected the Rempe fight so it would be out of the way. If he expected a 5 on 5, Schneider would have been out there. He can fight. And the coaches goal is to build up Trouba after the injury. There's no way the coaches wanted Trouba out after 2 seconds. That proves to me that the 5 on 5 surprised Lav. That's why he was so pissed at Green.

Reactions: egelband

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Sooo sad. That's why I hope a line with Cuylle and Kakko and sort of force him to cycle/get engaged.

He's destroying our PP currently.... whenever he touches the puck.
One good thing about Laviolette is that he is 100% using Trocheck as the 1C.

He plays more than Zibanejad and it's not that close. Trocheck is playing about 3 minutes per game more than his career average.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
One good thing about Laviolette is that he is 100% using Trocheck as the 1C.

He plays more than Zibanejad and it's not that close. Trocheck is playing about 3 minutes per game more than his career average.
I love Trocheck but he has spurts where he has been getting lazy with defensive duties down low.

He's been amazing though, besides that one little nitpick

Reactions: nyrage

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
Nice to see Laf develop into a threat every game and to see KK pipe in some offense lately.

Poor little Debbies. They think this was some moral victory, but got beat and beat up again. So reminiscent of the first game against Washington after Wilson emasculated us for the world to see. Debbies fans think somehow this will carryover into next season. Sure. More likely they sign another goon or two for next season.

I love Rempe, but can someone teach him how to fight. He's got to stop using both arms against the opponent's left arm. His long left need to hold the puncher's right arm. Right now his goal is to only throw bombs with his right.

When we lost Trouba and Goodrow, sadly I was actually kind of excited. Speaking of sad, I was disappointed to not see Jones in our lineup. Can we at least split up Trouba and Miller? Speaking of Miller, I'm not sure even he knew he had that in him. More please.

The lapses this team goes through is concerning. It's an effort thing imo. There are some sacred cows on this team that go into low-effort lulls, but I'll save the detailed complaints for another day. Anyway, let's just keep winning.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It's fascinating to me that the league is cutting down on fighting but more day-to-day people are talking about fighting, Rempe- it's a whole craze if you will.

On the one hand, I find the side show a little stupid. First NYR outfield player to get a chant since Avery? Not proud of that fact either. 400 level lunchpails strike again. Nothing for Panarin, nothing for Fox. I get hockey has an element of low-brow audience, and I enjoy fighting in the sport, but it's like cheering only the comic who comes on during intermission in between acts of a Shakespearean play.

On the other- do what grows the sport and it's audience. We want more $$ and more eyes.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It's fascinating to me that the league is cutting down on fighting but more day-to-day people are talking about fighting, Rempe- it's a whole craze if you will.

On the one hand, I find the side show a little stupid. First NYR outfield player to get a chant since Avery? Not proud of that fact either. 400 level lunchpails strike again. Nothing for Panarin, nothing for Fox. I get hockey has an element of low-brow audience, and I enjoy fighting in the sport, but it's like cheering only the comic who comes on during intermission in between acts of a Shakespearean play.

On the other- do what grows the sport and it's audience. We want more $$ and more eyes.
To be fair, there are different ways of expressing affection. When you go to the arena, you see the stuffed foxes and the stuffed breads all over the place.

I do agree that the random chanting for him when he's not doing anything is a bit extra.

Reactions: Blasds

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
Seriously.....

How do they get Zibs going? Play him Cuylle and Kakko? with Rempe?
I legitimately would try Rempe on that line. Kreider and Zibenejad are defensively responsible enough to cover the gaps, and I'd be interested to see if Rempe's forecheck pressure flying through the neutral zone can make them play with more pace 5 on 5. I don't know if it will work, but I'd give it a shot before the playoffs just to see what happens.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I legitimately would try Rempe on that line. Kreider and Zibenejad are defensively responsible enough to cover the gaps, and I'd be interested to see if Rempe's forecheck pressure flying through the neutral zone can make them play with more pace 5 on 5. I don't know if it will work, but I'd give it a shot before the playoffs just to see what happens.
No. Please.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
In 3 games vs the Devils, Rempe has a total of 10 shifts for 5:03 minutes, 1 shot on goal and is a +1. Did I leave something out? Oh yeah, 47 penalty minutes.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Kreider would finally have somebody to play with that he didn't almost kill in celebrations.

• Haha
Reactions: Greg02

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
To be fair, there are different ways of expressing affection. When you go to the arena, you see the stuffed foxes and the stuffed breads all over the place.

I do agree that the random chanting for him when he's not doing anything is a bit extra.
We're in the fall of Rome....

iu

• Haha
Reactions: Machinehead

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Speaking of the Devils.....both Jack and Luke are still kids and should get much better though sometimes I look at Jack as a little frail. Luke has some size though. I mean one year out of college and with Hamilton's injury he becomes their go to No. 1. It's a big ask.

The Rangers badly outshot them last night but because of their speed they were able to do some quick strikes for their goals where they broke guys behind our D. They're not the only team to have done that against us. In the recent Flyers game it was the same tactic and the Rangers are capable when they want to of playing a much more solid, though less exciting more defensive game. We've been leaving our goalies to fend for themselves a bit too much lately.

On Rempe/MacDermid. To me fights like that our draws. MacDermid probably landed more blows but he really didn't land anything very solid. Matthew IMO landed the best one in the fight but there was no significant damage done by either to the other.....the fight ended pretty much because both were gassed. It's meaningless to me to score a hockey fight like a boxing match. I don't give points to misses or blows that don't really do any damage. Either there's domination by one or the other or it's a draw in my eyes. That said MacDermid has for the past couple/three years been IMO the best fighter in the NHL. He easily handled Reaves when he was on the Rangers and he's had 4/5 go arounds with Deslauriers and when they haven't been draws they've been wins for MacDermid. The only guy in the league who's given him any real trouble has been Lucic. One of the reasons Kurtis has been so effective is his reach. He gets a good grab and he holds his opponent out of range while he clobbers him. That didn't happen last night. If anything Rempe has even more reach than he has and what I saw was that was a problem for him. Kurtis got his fight but he really didn't prove much or effectively change anything for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad