Eklund Rumor: Eklund More Answers Today...But First Canadiens and Islanders Pursuing....

broncs918

Mar 26, 2009
Lmao ....what’s the percent of true Eklund rumors? 5%?
Will have an update this afternoon answering the remaining readers questions, but first...

This morning I just got off the phone with my best Sens source and he is hearing Pageau and Duclair are both being pursued HEAVILY by the Islanders and Canadiens...It is even possible that BOTH players could be moved together...more on this is in a bit...

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
Why in gods name would the Sens move Duclair? He will likely be cheaper to re-sign then many RFAs who score at the rate he has based on his desire to just have a stable NHL gig, hes also probably a little tired of moving by now. I mean I get the Pageau rumors I would like to keep him but he is a UFA.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Habs are digging themselves in a hole that will be hard to climb from. With Drouin, Gallagher, Byron amongst the many injured players, I don’t see them buying UFA at this point. Hell, even Bergevin said himself a week and a half ago that he wouldn’t sell future to make the playoffs

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Habs are in no position to buy at the deadline...

They are 12th in the east right now and 23 overall. They have lost a few in a row with a bunch of really tough games coming up. They are 5-6 losses away from being sellers......

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Sell high?

I get it but look at picks the next few years. They can even afford to move some of those picks for another proven talent, whether on forward or defense.
Screenshot_20200102-121509_Samsung Internet.jpg

Add another couple if JGP is moved. Duclair seems to be finally becoming a top 6 player. Now maybe gifting him a big deal for one career year may be worrisome but at some point, OTT needs to keep players in their prime and he looks to be back on track.
Don't see why OTT can't nab a playoff spot next year with some tweaks.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I get it but look at picks the next few years. They can even afford to move some of those picks for another proven talent, whether on forward or defense.
View attachment 301343

Add another couple if JGP is moved. Duclair seems to be finally becoming a top 6 player. Now maybe gifting him a big deal for one career year may be worrisome but at some point, OTT needs to keep players in their prime and he looks to be back on track.
Don't see why OTT can't nab a playoff spot next year with some tweaks.

I hear ya. I guess it all depends on what is actually offered and also what sort of contract is Duclair looking for. If I was Ottawa I would be more concerned with keeping him on a low term deal

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
Montreal would be stupid to trade picks and prospects for guys like pageau and duclair. They dont make the habs any better. Just ride out the season as is.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
Duclair could make SOME sense from Montreal POV, since we need scoring and he's only 24. Plus the fact he have chemistry with Domi. And we are short on the RW (if Suzuki return to C and when Armia-Gallagher are healthy).

That being said, we would buy very high on him (on pace for 40 goals and 60 pts) and the price wouldn't make much sense for Mtl. And add to this that we would be the one stuck with signing him to a new contract, which won't be cheap.

If the price is right, I'm not against it, while it's not a rental, he fits the core and would be a nice add for the next seasons. But I can't imagine him being traded for anything short of an "overpayment".

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
How much will Pageau demand next contract??.. sens should do what they can to keep him.... cant just trade away any player that actually is good on this team

Sens have some good young pieces... Pageau types are the perfect players to have with the youth

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Montreal would be stupid to trade picks and prospects for guys like pageau and duclair. They dont make the habs any better. Just ride out the season as is.

Well.... MB is the GM afterall, I am sure he would do what it takes to save his job if it's on the line.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Montreal will be sellers not buyers by Feb..... The draft is in Montreal and they already have 8 picks in the first 125 selections(4rounds)....

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015

Canadiens

If Bergevin trades for a player who actively WANTED to play in Montreal, is FROM Montreal, and could have been had FOR FREE a few months ago .... I would be happy. But he should be fired.

Duclair to Montreal was an obvious decision as a free agent because he's from Montreal and Max Domi is one of his best friends. Bergevin passed, but now wants to circle back?

Its an Eklund rumour, so it makes me feel better knowing its not true at all but jesus I can't even imagine lol

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
wouldn't mind to buy Duclair at a fair price, if we sell high on Tatar at the deadline.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Why wouldn't OTT keep Duclair if he signs a reasonable deal?
Move Pageau for sure but they aren't that far off making playoffs so keep some of the good players.

This is what I’m saying. Ottawa is definitely in the bubble team discussion for the playoffs. Moving Duclair seems to defeat that purpose.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad