Speculation: Eklund/Garrioch - Sharks are looking for D man

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
The offensive production from the blue line is a fluke outside of two guys. They can certainly use another offensive presence especially on the left side.

No... They have Demers who should be able to get 35-40 points, Burns who should be able to get 40-50 and Irwin who should be able to get 30-35 if used for an entire season.

Just look at the numbers. The Sharks have been awful at even strength.... It stems from the D and it isn't because of lack of offense.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
No... They have Demers who should be able to get 35-40 points, Burns who should be able to get 40-50 and Irwin who should be able to get 30-35 if used for an entire season.

Just look at the numbers. The Sharks have been awful at even strength.... It stems from the D and it isn't because of lack of offense.

lol Irwin? Really? hahaha you can't be serious. lol

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Ummm. 34 points / 105 games = .328 points per game. .328*82 games = 27 points.... What did I say 30-35... Yep, I stand by it.

Yea of little faith...

So you're serious...let me laugh a little harder. hahahahahahaha

Like I said, their offense past two guys is a fluke. They need a real presence, not someone who may luck into some points yet give up more on the other end.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
So you're serious...let me laugh a little harder. hahahahahahaha

Like I said, their offense past two guys is a fluke. They need a real presence, not someone who may luck into some points yet give up more on the other end.

Oh so your immune to basic math along with the fact that Hammer's presence would allow the Sharks the luxury of using Irwin in more situations where he is most effective.

Ok, lets try something else. Look at special teams. Does something sort of scream out to you that something may be wrong on the defensive side of things?

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Oh so your immune to basic math along with the fact that Hammer's presence would allow the Sharks the luxury of using Irwin in more situations where he is most effective.

Ok, lets try something else. Look at special teams. Does something sort of scream out to you that something may be wrong on the defensive side of things?

I'm not arguing with the math. I said it's a fluke and it is. Irwin is not an NHL caliber player. Besides, 100 games is a small sample size especially when it's spread out over 3 seasons. His longest season was 62 games and 20 points...most of which came early in the season and he then faded away. Getting Hammer would've been fine but they would still need some type of offensive presence on the left side for it to work and Irwin is nowhere near that.

The special teams is about the silliest attempt at an argument for that. It takes up so little of the game especially for a team like the Sharks that doesn't take penalties that often normally that it's not worth it. Even strength is where it's at when it comes to importance in evaluating players especially d-men. Irwin is awful at that.

The PK troubles are not really the defensemen. It's mostly the forwards. They aren't winning draws enough. They're not clearing pucks when they get the chance. They're not in position most of the time.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA

Irwin? 35 pts? :biglaugh:

He couldn't get 35 pts if we made a full Cup run.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
I'm not arguing with the math. I said it's a fluke and it is. Irwin is not an NHL caliber player. Besides, 100 games is a small sample size especially when it's spread out over 3 seasons. His longest season was 62 games and 20 points...most of which came early in the season and he then faded away. Getting Hammer would've been fine but they would still need some type of offensive presence on the left side for it to work and Irwin is nowhere near that.

The special teams is about the silliest attempt at an argument for that. It takes up so little of the game especially for a team like the Sharks that doesn't take penalties that often normally that it's not worth it. Even strength is where it's at when it comes to importance in evaluating players especially d-men. Irwin is awful at that.

The PK troubles are not really the defensemen. It's mostly the forwards. They aren't winning draws enough. They're not clearing pucks when they get the chance. They're not in position most of the time.

The players most likely to clear a puck are the defensemen.

Sigh... ok lets try something simple. Goals Allowed:

The Sharks are currently 27th in the league with an average of 3 goals per game.

Last season the Sharks were fifth with a 2.4 average....

Do you have an excuse for that too?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

The Sharks are currently 27th in the league with an average of 3 goals per game.

Except since we're talking about a specific team and specific instances, we're not dealing with generalities. We're dealing with what is going on with this team. And with this team, it's been the forwards that have had trouble handling the puck in their own zone.

Goals allowed are not a blue line only issue. Goals allowed are a team defense including the goalie issue. It's simplistic, stereotypical type of thinking to say goals allowed being high is a blue line issue just because their position is called defensemen. The problems with this team this season stems from turning the puck over (otherwise known as the Matt Irwin special). That's happening between forwards and defensemen and in bad spots like your own zone and the top of the attacking zone.

Are you watching the team at all or just thinking that all issues are the same and resolved the same way universally? This team needs a defenseman that can move the puck in the worst way especially on the left side.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011

Ni3mi:sarcasm:

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Except since we're talking about a specific team and specific instances, we're not dealing with generalities. We're dealing with what is going on with this team. And with this team, it's been the forwards that have had trouble handling the puck in their own zone.

Goals allowed are not a blue line only issue. Goals allowed are a team defense including the goalie issue. It's simplistic, stereotypical type of thinking to say goals allowed being high is a blue line issue just because their position is called defensemen. The problems with this team this season stems from turning the puck over (otherwise known as the Matt Irwin special). That's happening between forwards and defensemen and in bad spots like your own zone and the top of the attacking zone.

Are you watching the team at all or just thinking that all issues are the same and resolved the same way universally? This team needs a defenseman that can move the puck in the worst way especially on the left side.

The Irwin special? I'd say he has been the third best defensemen on the team. He has been far better than Burns at even strength. Though I have to admit Burns has been looking a bit better lately, perhaps he is adapting.... Of course Demers has been hands down the worst. Yeah, I have been watching the game. Have you?

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Irwin has been absolute crap. He's not an NHL defenseman and keep pounding that Burns propaganda, someone may believe it.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
The Irwin special? I'd say he has been the third best defensemen on the team. He has been far better than Burns at even strength. Though I have to admit Burns has been looking a bit better lately, perhaps he is adapting.... Of course Demers has been hands down the worst. Yeah, I have been watching the game. Have you?

:biglaugh:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

I choose to disregard your opinion on Irwin from here on out until my opinion either matches yours or...well that'll probably never happen.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Irwin as the 3rd best d-man on the team. You're not watching the game, dude. You have no credibility with that statement. The coach after tonight specifically pointed out Irwin as needing some work. Irwin is only good for shooting the puck and that's it. If he's relied on to do anything else, he will fail. He needs a partner to basically do everything for him while he finds a spot to shoot from if they get it to the offensive zone.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Irwin as the 3rd best d-man on the team. You're not watching the game, dude. You have no credibility with that statement. The coach after tonight specifically pointed out Irwin as needing some work. Irwin is only good for shooting the puck and that's it. If he's relied on to do anything else, he will fail. He needs a partner to basically do everything for him while he finds a spot to shoot from if they get it to the offensive zone.

Wait are you describing Bret Burns? Oh wait Jason Demers... oh his shot isn't very good.
I think you misunderstand. Saying Irwin is the third best defensemen on the team, based on play so far, isn't really saying much... at all. Better hope Bret Burns can adapt... I remember you claiming that he was an excellent defensemen and scoffed at the idea that he may not transition very well back to Defense....

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Wait are you describing Bret Burns? Oh wait Jason Demers... oh his shot isn't very good.
I think you misunderstand. Saying Irwin is the third best defensemen on the team, based on play so far, isn't really saying much... at all. Better hope Bret Burns can adapt... I remember you claiming that he was an excellent defensemen and scoffed at the idea that he may not transition very well back to Defense....

You don't have the ability to properly evaluate defensemen to even make such a statement. If you think Burns (and it's Brent btw) is only good for his shot, it's just another example of a statement that helps to show that you have no credibility. It seems to me that you just have no idea how to properly evaluate offensive defensemen.

I also remember that claim and thus far I am being proven correct on it so there's that.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
You don't have the ability to properly evaluate defensemen to even make such a statement. If you think Burns (and it's Brent btw) is only good for his shot, it's just another example of a statement that helps to show that you have no credibility. It seems to me that you just have no idea how to properly evaluate offensive defensemen.

I also remember that claim and thus far I am being proven correct on it so there's that.
You have been proven correct? What exactly is your proof? I can actually show you proof that you are wrong. What have you got?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You have been proven correct? What exactly is your proof? I can actually show you proof that you are wrong. What have you got?

No you can't because any proof you use is likely to be used incorrectly because you don't know how to properly understand it.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Remember that all star defenseman play by Irwin when he waved off an open Burns and skated behind his net and threw a slow pass to no one? Or how about ignoring Burns again and waddling behind his net only to get his pocket picked that lead to a jackets power play? When the ****ing coach calls you out specifically, you aren't playing well.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It's just the reality of it. There's not going to be much evidence that's going to override the fact that Burns a PPG d-man right now that has often been tasked with carrying dead weight out there whether it's Mueller, Irwin, or Hannan.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA

cnVDgTA.gif

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
It's just the reality of it. There's not going to be much evidence that's going to override the fact that Burns a PPG d-man right now that has often been tasked with carrying dead weight out there whether it's Mueller, Irwin, or Hannan.
Oh for god sake, he has played like two minutes with Hannan... Don't try and bring Hannan in this and accuse me of not watching the games. Boyle seemed to be able to get it done with Irwin. Although Mr. Slowdown probably had to go... But sure PF Karlsson had better look over his shoulder regarding points this season...
Remember that all star defenseman play by Irwin when he waved off an open Burns and skated behind his net and threw a slow pass to no one? Or how about ignoring Burns again and waddling behind his net only to get his pocket picked that lead to a jackets power play? When the ****ing coach calls you out specifically, you aren't playing well.

Sure Irwin made some terrible mistakes this game, however I wasn't talking about only this game and well everyone has been pretty bad.

I will admit that in the context of this game Burns actually looked pretty good. Maybe its a start.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Oh for god sake, he has played like two minutes with Hannan... Don't try and bring Hannan in this and accuse me of not watching the games. Boyle seemed to be able to get it done with Irwin. Although Mr. Slowdown probably had to go... But sure PF Karlsson had better look over his shoulder regarding points this season...

Sure Irwin made some terrible mistakes this game, however I wasn't talking about only this game and well everyone has been pretty bad.

I will admit that in the context of this game Burns actually looked pretty good. Maybe its a start.

I didn't make any statement regarding the length of how long he has played with each of them. You call what Boyle did last year as getting it done with Irwin? Wow. That's probably the weakest statement you've made regarding the blue liners. If you're only now after the 8th game starting to come around on Burns, you need your head and eyes examined. It's been happening all year with him. And it's guys like Irwin, Hannan, and Mueller that are doing their parts in dragging the team down. There are some forwards helping them out but since we're sticking to the context of the blue line, those are the guys that need to go.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
I didn't make any statement regarding the length of how long he has played with each of them. You call what Boyle did last year as getting it done with Irwin? Wow. That's probably the weakest statement you've made regarding the blue liners. If you're only now after the 8th game starting to come around on Burns, you need your head and eyes examined. It's been happening all year with him. And it's guys like Irwin, Hannan, and Mueller that are doing their parts in dragging the team down. There are some forwards helping them out but since we're sticking to the context of the blue line, those are the guys that need to go.

First of all: It would be more accurate to claim Burns hasn't really played with Hannan this season. They might have had two shifts together.

Compared to what Burns has done with Irwin this season, yeah Boyle did significantly better by leaps and bounds.

Burns can be relied up to generate offense in favorable situations, but thus far he has been terrible at even strength and no I don't need my eyes checked. If your evaluation was solely based on looking at a box score then sure I can get where you are coming from. But watching the game should lead you to a bit of a different conclusion.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad