Speculation: Eklund/Garrioch - Sharks are looking for D man

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Honestly haven't watched the Sharks much this season, but despite the fact he's my 2nd favourite player, Couture has been really disappointing for me.

I've said this for a while now, but Toronto fans seem against it. I think it'd be a great move for both sides.

Couture's probably back on track by the looks of it. Last couple of games, he's looked sharp.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Couture's probably back on track by the looks of it. Last couple of games, he's looked sharp.

That's good to hear. I reiterate, I've barely watched any hockey this season. Too stressed out about other things.

They get rid of a guy that is on an expiring contract. Like I said before.

Right... maybe the Isles should move Boychuk - getting rid of a guy on an expiring contract, right? That's a terrible philosophy, when Petry has value and is one of their better d-men. Unless it's clear that he's going to leave, don't trade a guy who helps you to do what you're trying to achieve. Kennedy does not hold value, and isn't worth Petry, even if he's an impending UFA.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
That's good to hear. I reiterate, I've barely watched any hockey this season. Too stressed out about other things.

Right... maybe the Isles should move Boychuk - getting rid of a guy on an expiring contract, right? That's a terrible philosophy, when Petry has value and is one of their better d-men. Unless it's clear that he's going to leave, don't trade a guy who helps you to do what you're trying to achieve. Kennedy does not hold value, and isn't worth Petry, even if he's an impending UFA.

Well...that's basically why Boston moved Boychuk.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Well...that's basically why Boston moved Boychuk.

No, that's not exactly why. They moved him because of his expiring contract AND the fact that he was due for a raise they couldn't afford. If they had to cap space, you better bet they'd have kept him.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I've said this for a while now, but Toronto fans seem against it. I think it'd be a great move for both sides.

I'm against it too. We're swapping one PMD for another and one offensive presence for another and the same problem exists but it swaps sides. Think about the pairings in that scenario. We have no guarantees already with Mueller and him being swapped with guys like Irwin or Hannan on the left side of that third pairing. Then we're sticking Fedun in the lineup who isn't an NHL'er at this point. So we're still asking someone who is likely not ready or capable to play on the 2nd pairing or we're asking Mueller and Fedun to pair off on the 3rd pair.

Those are not good options.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'm against it too. We're swapping one PMD for another and one offensive presence for another and the same problem exists but it swaps sides. Think about the pairings in that scenario. We have no guarantees already with Mueller and him being swapped with guys like Irwin or Hannan on the left side of that third pairing. Then we're sticking Fedun in the lineup who isn't an NHL'er at this point. So we're still asking someone who is likely not ready or capable to play on the 2nd pairing or we're asking Mueller and Fedun to pair off on the 3rd pair.

Those are not good options.

I see your point, but it's much easier to fill a #3 RHD role when we could run our top 4 pretty heavily if we had 3-4 arguable top pairing d-men. Then we could shelter the 3rd pairing of Mueller - XXXX or easily fill that hole.

Realistically, we could run Vlasic-Braun for about ~25 minutes/game, Gardiner-Burns for about ~20-23 minutes and shelter our 3rd pairing. Obviously special teams would muddle those numbers, but I'm just giving rough numbers here. I'd rather have a hole in the bottom pairing RH spot than the second pairing LH spot, especially when we have atrocious LHD depth while we have great RHD depth.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Speaking of Defensemen and trades.

Carolina might move Sekera, UFA, Carolina is rumored to become the Oilers in terms of rebuilding.

One can hope.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I see your point, but it's much easier to fill a #3 RHD role when we could run our top 4 pretty heavily if we had 3-4 arguable top pairing d-men. Then we could shelter the 3rd pairing of Mueller - XXXX or easily fill that hole.

Realistically, we could run Vlasic-Braun for about ~25 minutes/game, Gardiner-Burns for about ~20-23 minutes and shelter our 3rd pairing. Obviously special teams would muddle those numbers, but I'm just giving rough numbers here. I'd rather have a hole in the bottom pairing RH spot than the second pairing LH spot, especially when we have atrocious LHD depth while we have great RHD depth.

In general, it is easier to replace 3rd pairing on both sides but obviously we have an issue filling the left side right now. lol Running the top four heavy is not a good long-term strategy and it will catch up to them eventually. But if we're talking about lose depth on the right side to cover that part on the left, we're left with the same problem. You need to be able to have three pairings that can be relied on for their roles...not two. I mean, if there's a second trade set up to replace Demers, I would probably be more for it but not when the tentative replacement is Fedun and especially when his partner is not going to be reliable.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yeah but I assume they'll be shipping out contracts like Sekera and Staal etc.

As per Capgeek they are paying him 1.75M this year and his cap hit is 2.75M. I don't know if thats really a contract worth shipping out. I would think they should be trying to extend him (last year of his contract) unless he has 0 interest in that. In that case they ship him out at the TDL. He would cost a pretty penny though I bet. 1st round 2015 +.

Staal on the other hand is a brutal contract. I don't want him at 9M+ per.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
In general, it is easier to replace 3rd pairing on both sides but obviously we have an issue filling the left side right now. lol Running the top four heavy is not a good long-term strategy and it will catch up to them eventually. But if we're talking about lose depth on the right side to cover that part on the left, we're left with the same problem. You need to be able to have three pairings that can be relied on for their roles...not two. I mean, if there's a second trade set up to replace Demers, I would probably be more for it but not when the tentative replacement is Fedun and especially when his partner is not going to be reliable.

Agreed, I don't want a hole on either side, but if I had to pick my poison, the choice is easy. I feel as though acquiring a #6 for cheap a là Weaver would be easier than filling our #2 LHD spot. I do not want to see both Fedun and Mueller in the lineup if we intend to compete, but having Fedun as the #7 could be fine. But we'd need a good veteran RHD. I can't think of anyone off the top of my head right now, but there will absolutely be some available soon. In an ideal situation though, we could pick up Sekera without losing a roster player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad