Ekholm vs Rielly vs Weegar

How would you rank these defencemen (from best to worst)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Defensively Ekholm is the best and his possession numbers and +/- have been godly since coming to the Oilers.
Weegar is on a bad team so it’s a bit difficult to judge and I think Rielly gets a bad rap. Based on this year
Ekholm/Rielly/Weegar

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Think it honestly just depends on your teams needs. Ekholm is the best defensively, worst offensively. Weegar is the best two-way. Reilly is the best offensively, worst defensively. From there you just take your pick (although Reilly probably does lag behind a tad compared to the other 2).

With my bias I’d take Weegar, guy has been a force this season. One of the bright spots of the Flames.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Defensively Ekholm is by far the best, overall I like Rielly's all around game the best. He's average defensively, not horrible, not great, but a really good skater, good on the PP, great passer and good in transition.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Right now performance wise I would go with Ekholm overall. I believe in his 78 games with the Oilers he has 8 goals, 39 points and is +50. He also plays with Even Bouchard who is horrendous defensively. From an age and overall ability standpoint I would pick Morgan Reilly of the 3 for my franchise but performance wise right now, Ekholm.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The guy is absolutely horrible defensively.
He is not, I have seen some dog shit defenders being a fan of Toronto. He is not one of them.

Gardiner
Barrie
Marincin
Lebda

Were/are absolutely horrible defensively, Rielly is fine, people just lose their mind because he isn't an elite shutdown D. He's a really good #2 D-man. He was phenomenal in the playoffs last year as well. I wont ever call him elite defensively because he isn't even close, but he's not horrible.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Ekholm is the best, then Weegar or Rielly are very similar comes down to whose having an up vs down year. And team needs imo.
Weegar and Rielly are not similar players at all. Weegar is far better defensively, plays with more of an edge and has a better shot.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Rielly is the clear cut top guy here. He's effectively in a different class as a true #1D.

After that...i'd go Ekholm > Weegar.

Fascinating results here though. Kind of all over the place.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Rielly is the clear cut top guy here. He's effectively in a different class as a true #1D.

After that...i'd go Ekholm > Weegar.

Fascinating results here though. Kind of all over the place.
Wtf is this :laugh:

It's really not all over the place...

Literally only Leafs fans believe Rielly is the top guy here, of course...

Reactions: capazzo

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Wtf is this :laugh:

It's really not all over the place...

Literally only Leafs fans believe Rielly is the top guy here, of course...

It absolutely is all over the place. There are plenty of votes that have each of Ekholm and Weegar as either first...or last. And even a decent number of votes that have Rielly first...or last. And they're certainly not all Leafs fans. I'm not a Leafs fan and frankly, i don't even think it's close between him and the other two. He's just flat out better and more impactful all around, without as much support or others to bear the brunt of matchups and tough minutes consistently.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
It absolutely is all over the place. There are plenty of votes that have each of Ekholm and Weegar as either first...or last. And even a decent number of votes that have Rielly first...or last. And they're certainly not all Leafs fans. I'm not a Leafs fan and frankly, i don't even think it's close between him and the other two. He's just flat out better and more impactful all around, without as much support or others to bear the brunt of matchups and tough minutes consistently.
41 votes for Ekholm as the #1
22 votes for Weeger as the #1
15 votes for Rielly as #1(the heavy majority Leafs fans)

But ya, sure. Good post.

Reactions: Haatley

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Oilers score at a better rate with Ekholm on the ice than Toronto does with Rielly.

They also give up fewer goals, shots, scoring chances, high danger chances.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
41 votes for Ekholm as the #1
22 votes for Weeger as the #1
15 votes for Rielly as #1(the heavy majority Leafs fans)

But ya, sure. Good post.

You're completely misconstruing two different points here. Rielly appears to be the least popular choice for the best in this poll. I vehemently disagree, but that is what it is. He's really not so far off Weegar anyway.

My point is...within that order, there's a ton of all over the place voting, regardless of who is "first". Weegar has a ton of votes for "last place" too. As does Ekholm even.

But ya, sure. Good post.

Oilers score at a better rate with Ekholm on the ice than Toronto does with Rielly.

They also give up fewer goals, shots, scoring chances, high danger chances.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact Ekholm has played ~75% of his minutes at 5v5 this year with at least one of McDavid or Draisaitl on the ice? Hmmm...

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Far from a Leafs fan but I feel like Rielly is a bit underrated. He by far has to do the most comparatively on his blueline…he’s not perfect or a superstar but that Leafs blueline looks pretty awful without him.

Ekholm has a burgeoning Bouchard and Nurse (also underrated at this point) as 22+ minute guys around him and can really just focus on being an even strength and PK cog. Weegar is third after Andersson and Hanifin on the Flames (I guess second now).

Rielly puts in 24+ minutes a night in all situations and the second and third guys in ice time on his team are the corpse of TJ Brodie and Jake McCabe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad