Ekholm files files for salary arbitration

Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Per ESPN. This doesn't make sense to me. Wonder where he places his value.

I said this in another thread but just filing for arbitration doesn't mean anything except that the player wants to keep negotiating and doesn't want just a one year deal at his QO level.

I have very little doubt that a multi year deal will be signed before an arbitration hearing happens.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Got it, so more about term than salary. I would think we would be interested in a multi year deal too. Interesting. Thanks for the insight.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Got it, so more about term than salary. I would think we would be interested in a multi year deal too. Interesting. Thanks for the insight.

the majority of players who file for arbitration never go to a hearing, they usually work something out before.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Or it could be that at this point not even Ekholm knows what his value is so why not have someone help you out with it? I mean no offense the guy looks like he is going to be a really solid D, but what is that worth? He hasn't set the world on fire, but he has gotten better and did play better last season and looks as if he has room to grow. He's probably worth more than his QO, but how much more?

We always make it sound easy, just sign the guy!, but in reality there is a reason arbitration exists and tons of players use it.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Fair point, especially considering what might happen to his development and progress now with a less defense first head coach at the helm.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
I bet we sign him to a 2 year 1.75 per to see where he goes. I think that will take him to 25, which will be his last RFA year, could be wrong. That would be a great move on Poile's part, so we can see how Diaby/Dougherty/Ekholm develop.

Edit: The 2 year contract would take him to 26, so thats out. Shoot for a 1 year deal Poile or a long term, slightly above his current value, like 4 years at 2.9 or something

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
It's speculation, but not random. Just using Poile's history of low balling our players and pissing them off (See Weber).

Weber is one player, not "players' and if you think the Weber and Ekholm situations are comparable at all I just don't know what to say.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
and now Ekholm is signed. Guess the old "lowball" theory doesnt hold much water now does it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad