Ekholm and Josi

rewind2482

May 23, 2017
Ekholm's shot isn't great and he isn't an elite puck carrier/mover. Subban/Josi already were elite and Ellis has gotten there in the past two years, so Ekholm is now the clear #4, although a fine defenseman in his own right.

The Preds would still be in a huge bind without him considering how bad their defensemen are after him.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It's crazy to think that if Nashville had retained all of them, they would have Suter-Jones as a bottom pairing, and would have Weber as the #7.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Man, the Preds blue line is just dumb. You outlined it in the OP perfectly, but just thinking in theory, you have two D who in any given season are top 5 LEAGUE WIDE in D scoring, flanked by 2-3 ranked D who can play like 1D's on any given night.
They've been the defenseman factory of the NHL for as long as I can remember. Even the quality of players they could afford to lose is amazing.

Top pairing:
Timonen
Suter
Weber
Jones
Hamhuis

Middle pairing:
Skrastins (rip)
Zidlicky
Klein
Girard

Bottom pairing:
Franson
Zanon

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
People are getting a little carried away, IMO. The Preds arguably have the best top four, but it's not because all four are #1Ds. Josi and Subban fit that description, but Ekholm really isn't elite at anything--he's just very solid all around, exactly what a #2-4 tends to be--and Ellis arguably has elite offense and intelligence, but his size holds him back. At best, the Preds have two #1Ds and two #2Ds, which is still pretty amazing and more than enough to compliment them for having.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
People are getting a little carried away, IMO. The Preds arguably have the best top four, but it's not because all four are #1Ds. Josi and Subban fit that description, but Ekholm really isn't elite at anything--he's just very solid all around, exactly what a #2-4 tends to be--and Ellis arguably has elite offense and intelligence, but his size holds him back. At best, the Preds have two #1Ds and two #2Ds, which is still pretty amazing and more than enough to compliment them for having.

Ekholm boosts extremely good suppression metrics, although if Karlsson is going to get criticized for GA/60Rel, Ekholm shouldn't be scotch free, since he did have the worst on the Preds this season.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Man, the Preds blue line is just dumb. You outlined it in the OP perfectly, but just thinking in theory, you have two D who in any given season are top 5 LEAGUE WIDE in D scoring, flanked by 2-3 ranked D who can play like 1D's on any given night.

And this is after losing/trading away 3 #1s in Sure, Weber and Jones, and a guy like Girard who walked right into a top-4 role before 20.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Where do you rank them? I've had Josi in my top 5 for a couple of years now and I take him over anyone other than Doughty and Hedman.

I think Ekholm is a #1 dman as well and someone I have in my top 15.

I never see either get much praise on here and I'm not even a Preds fan.
Did Karlsson retire?

Mike Lowry

Feb 23, 2018
I see your bait, but I'm not biting!

How does posting facts get spun into trying to bait someone? The Subban fanclub is ridiculous

Is there anything I said about the Nashville D core that is untrue? The answer is a resounding no.

Jossi - Ellis = #1 Pairing
Ekholm - Subban = #2 Pairing

Nashville Depth Chart - Defence
#1 - Jossi
#2 - Ellis
#3 - Ekholm
#4 - Subban

I have Josi and Subban both comfortably in the top 10 defense in the league, with Ekholm being up near 25-30 and Ellis being one of the strongest 2D in the league.

The Nashville Predators' coaching staff feels different. But sure, YOU know more than they do.[/QUOTE]

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Couple of first class wieners

just-for-that-post-playa-tonight-you-get-to-go-1-on-1-with-da-undertaker.jpg

Reactions: Jets2point0

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
How does posting facts get spun into trying to bait someone? The Subban fanclub is ridiculous

Is there anything I said about the Nashville D core that is untrue? The answer is a resounding no.

Jossi - Ellis = #1 Pairing
Ekholm - Subban = #2 Pairing

Nashville Depth Chart - Defence
#1 - Jossi
#2 - Ellis
#3 - Ekholm
#4 - Subban

The Nashville Predators' coaching staff feels different. But sure, YOU know more than they do.

Honest question, what are your criterias when judging a team's depth chart on defense? Do you use overall time on ice? 5-on-5 time on ice? Defensive assignments? Special teams TOI?

Other than 3-on-3, I can't find a single reason why Subban would be considered the #4D on the Preds. And if we use 3-on-3 over-time as an argument, then I guess Ellis is Nashville's #1D, because he's the one that goes first on OT. Usually with Bonino or Turris...

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Honest question, what are your criterias when judging a team's depth chart on defense? Do you use overall time on ice? 5-on-5 time on ice? Defensive assignments? Special teams TOI?

Other than 3-on-3, I can't find a single reason why Subban would be considered the #4D on the Preds. And if we use 3-on-3 over-time as an argument, then I guess Ellis is Nashville's #1D, because he's the one that goes first on OT. Usually with Bonino or Turris...
Do they really have a number 1. They have 4 very good dmen.

Reactions: RickP

Mike Lowry

Feb 23, 2018

By watching the game, understanding the situation, and seeing who the coaching staff picks. The stats you guys look at are flawed because hockey isn't played one play at a time. When the Preds start a period on the PK or PP, and they go with Jossi & Ellis, it tells you who their #1 pairing is. When they come out of a time-out, same thing. And when they get to OT, and the leave their highest paid D on the bench, it's pretty clear. You know, these are things you can learn if you played. You can learn even more if you coached. So yeah, try those things then come back and we can discuss.

How about when Ellis was hurt, and they moved Ekholm up to play with Jossi, and Emelin up with Subban? He's their #4. Just accept it and go back to pumping his tires about his fake donation to the hospital.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad