Ekholm and Josi

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
Where do you rank them? I've had Josi in my top 5 for a couple of years now and I take him over anyone other than Doughty and Hedman.

I think Ekholm is a #1 dman as well and someone I have in my top 15.

I never see either get much praise on here and I'm not even a Preds fan.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
It's such an unfair thing to have. 4 NHL D-men capable of being #1 D-men on any given night.

That's my take on them both. Josi is not better than PK, but that doesn't matter since he outperforms PK all the time. It's the exact same with Ekholm and Ellis, Ekholm isn't better but is capable of just that.

Feel like all of their individual rankings suffer from having the best D corps in the league, but the team certainly doesn't.

PK, Josi top 10 talents, Ellis, Ekholm top 30 at the very least.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Josi is awesome, top ~10 in the league.
Ekholm a bit overrated imo. Don’t see him as more than a very good 2nd pairing D, not sure why people think he’s a #1.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Well, someone asked ironically if the Preds had four #1 Dmen in their team. I'm not even sure what the correct answer is. Depending on the definition, but if there are 31 #1's then it's quite possible. I would not know which one I'd rank below Nr. 31..

To answer your question: Josi is offensively only behind Karlsson and Burns over the last 4-5 years.
Overall I'd rank him around top 5, basically same with Subban, depending on form.
They could cement their position with another great playoff push.

Ekholm has the tools as well, didn't have the chance to shine as the top guy so far but his performance along Subban has been fantastic. I'd ideally have him as a #2 complimentary player though.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Man, the Preds blue line is just dumb. You outlined it in the OP perfectly, but just thinking in theory, you have two D who in any given season are top 5 LEAGUE WIDE in D scoring, flanked by 2-3 ranked D who can play like 1D's on any given night.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Josi vs Subban is a tough call. Both are #1's. I think overall, Josi is better and more consistent but Subban has higher peaks and he can be a bit of a game-breaker, in the most important situations (historically) such that you might go with the latter if you ignore contracts.

Ekholm and Ellis are #2's IMO.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
PK: 3/4 best dman in the world
Roman: 5-8 range
Mattias: like 18-25 range or so
Ellis: borderline top 30

Mike Lowry

Feb 23, 2018
Well, pretty simple here.

Weber and Jossi were partners.

They tried making Jossi and Subban partners, but that went nowhere fast. They then dropped Jossi down to play with Ekholm and Eliis up. Didn't work again for a 1st unit. It wasn't until Subban went down that the Preds were able to find a true #1 pairing in Jossi and Ellis. To add to that, to start the year, Ellis was out with an injury. The Preds decided to move Ekholm up to play with Jossi, and move Emilen off the 3rd pair to play with Subban.

Without adding the fact that when the Preds go to OT and play 3 on 3, they go with Jossi, then Ellis, then Ekholm before they even consider putting Subban out, it is crystal clear to anyone with an ounce of common sense and actual hockey experience, that PK Subban is not a #1 Dman. After all, its why Team Canada doesn't want him.

But sure you basement nerds, keep telling us how much more you know that Hockey Canada, and the Preds own coaching staff.

Guys, let's try using facts and knowledge gained through playing the sport to make opinions. Not whatever you think you've learned from the XBox

Reactions: Ghetty Green

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
Well, pretty simple here.

Weber and Jossi were partners.

They tried making Jossi and Subban partners, but that went nowhere fast. They then dropped Jossi down to play with Ekholm and Eliis up. Didn't work again for a 1st unit. It wasn't until Subban went down that the Preds were able to find a true #1 pairing in Jossi and Ellis. To add to that, to start the year, Ellis was out with an injury. The Preds decided to move Ekholm up to play with Jossi, and move Emilen off the 3rd pair to play with Subban.

Without adding the fact that when the Preds go to OT and play 3 on 3, they go with Jossi, then Ellis, then Ekholm before they even consider putting Subban out, it is crystal clear to anyone with an ounce of common sense and actual hockey experience, that PK Subban is not a #1 Dman. After all, its why Team Canada doesn't want him.

But sure you basement nerds, keep telling us how much more you know that Hockey Canada, and the Preds own coaching staff.

Guys, let's try using facts and knowledge gained through playing the sport to make opinions. Not whatever you think you've learned from the XBox
I see your bait, but I'm not biting!

I have Josi and Subban both comfortably in the top 10 defense in the league, with Ekholm being up near 25-30 and Ellis being one of the strongest 2D in the league.

Their run for the cup will rely heavily on these four guys and Rinne, going to be fun to watch again!

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Honestly, they're not that good. Avs D will show them how to play some defense in the 1st round guaranteed.

And in case some people need it.... :sarcasm:

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Was thinking this morning, if Nashville gets eliminated early from the playoffs, who do they trade from their top 4? ...likely for scoring help.

there's a certain team in the Atlantic division that would love Ekholm..and has lots of scoring..

Mustard

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville
Was thinking this morning, if Nashville gets eliminated early from the playoffs, who do they trade from their top 4? ...likely for scoring help.

there's a certain team in the Atlantic division that would love Ekholm..and has lots of scoring..
I don't see them trading any of the top 4, even if NSH is shutout 4 games in a row. We score at a great clip and have one of the better offensive prospects (Tolvanen) in the past few years full-time next year. To be honest, if scoring is a problem this postseason, it'll be an anomaly and I don't see the need to change much around the lineup next year.

Reactions: my name is Bob

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Preds Defense is ridiculous. They arguably have 4 #1Dmen. 3/4 are signed for 2 or more years after this year with 2 of them being signed for another 4 years.

And they will have ample cap space to bring back the other two as well.

For Ekholm, I think he is the weakest of the 4 Dmen and IMO is more of a very good #2 then a #1, as I think he lacks the offensive instincts and flare just enough to not quite be labeled a #1 in my eyes, very similar to how I dont see Vlasic as a #1, or Hampus Lindholm a true #1. But still a really fantastic player and when you're 4th best Dman is considered to be a high end #2 around the league, you've got something good going.

Josi is a Top 5 Dman in the league for me. Hedman is better, Karlsson(When healthy) is better, Doughty is probably better. That's it. The conversation of better Dmen stops after that.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad