Ekblad's rookie contract

jol

Jan 31, 2003
Miami Beach, Florida
Visit site
When is Panthers going to sign him? I don't think there's nothing to negotiate. But I see other teams signing their first round candidates already, why hasn't Panthers signed him yet? I think Tallon said something they'll wait till rookie camp, but why not sign him already? What's the difference, he'll get max anyways?

JOL

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
When is Panthers going to sign him? I don't think there's nothing to negotiate. But I see other teams signing their first round candidates already, why hasn't Panthers signed him yet? I think Tallon said something they'll wait till rookie camp, but why not sign him already? What's the difference, he'll get max anyways?

JOL

Why do we need to rush to sign him? As you said, it makes no difference.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I don't think he's signed yet simply because there's no rush to, but if there is an issue it's probably working out his bonuses. The Panthers are near/over the bonus limit which has ramifications on their cap for next year. His base salary of 925k is already a certainty, as you noted.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Once Hayes gets sorted out. Though I think Tallon is just waiting to get Ekblad more motivated for camp. Every interview about Ekblad he says he'll be there on opening night, so I'm not worried.

jol

Jan 31, 2003
Miami Beach, Florida
Visit site
I don't think he's signed yet simply because there's no rush to, but if there is an issue it's probably working out his bonuses. The Panthers are near/over the bonus limit which has ramifications on their cap for next year. His base salary of 925k is already a certainty, as you noted.
I also meant he will get max bonuses, but why is that, year after year, Panthers is not first team to sign their 1st round rookies?

JOL

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
I also meant he will get max bonuses, but why is that, year after year, Panthers is not first team to sign their 1st round rookies?

JOL

Its Tallon's MO he doesn't usually sign his draft picks quickly. If a guy is sure to make the team he gets them signed fast like Barkov. Otherwise he waits. Don't know if it is a motivational tool or what but he did it in Chicago too.

Toews @340 days sent back his first year
Kane @31 days made the team 1st year
Gudbranson @385 days sent back to juniors 1st year
Huberdeau. @ 110 days Signed after 1st training camp after going back to juniors only reason he didn't make team was he was too small. Was one of better players in that training camp.
Barkov @15 days was going to be on the team year 1

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
theres a cap for amount of contracts u can have (200?), and signing ekblad prematurely if we plan on sending him back will just be dumb

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
It could be as simple as one side saying 'lets enjoy the summer and talk business in the fall' or that bonus thing.

Think max signed players is 50. Can have rights to I don't know how many though.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Not sure if it's been posted yet, but

Hayes is having his arbitration hearing next week in Toronto, they were unable to come to an agreement in time. The article also says Ekblad is expected to be signed before September comes around, but it is Harvey.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Not sure if it's been posted yet, but

Hayes is having his arbitration hearing next week in Toronto, they were unable to come to an agreement in time. The article also says Ekblad is expected to be signed before September comes around, but it is Harvey.

The article was posted on Friday...the arbitration hearing is tomorrow, just to clarify.

Ekblad

Mar 10, 2010
Miami, Florida
Over or under a million...?

Gotta be under.

he can't possibly be asking for more than Pirri. perhaps term is an issue and tallon wants him long term, so hayes demands arbitration to get a 1 or 2 year deal...?

Edit: Meant he couldn't ask for more than pirri, not hayes...

Last edited:

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
he can't possibly be asking for more than hayes. perhaps term is an issue and tallon wants him long term, so hayes demands arbitration to get a 1 or 2 year deal...?

I think he was talking about Hayes, rookies can't make more than 925k base salary.

For Hayes, I think the Panthers are asking 800k, he wants 1.2 million, they'll settle for 1 million.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
I think he was talking about Hayes, rookies can't make more than 925k base salary.

For Hayes, I think the Panthers are asking 800k, he wants 1.2 million, they'll settle for 1 million.

That would seriously screw up my over/under...

Ekblad I don't see having any contract issues, he has no need to rock the boat. One thing you don't want to get labelled with before you've even played a game in the show is 'problem player' ala ROR / Timmy, and Ekblad has a pretty sterling rep so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad